PDA

View Full Version : need advice related to lab shadowing.

TAJIK
10-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Hi to every1 and have a good day. First of all let me talk about my self: I am a medical student from Turkey who planns to do residency program in USA. So as a part of my application I do need really good recomdindation letters. As I aslo do plan to do PhD in USA I do need recomendation letters relating to my basical clınical skills. So I decided at the end of this academic year to do some shadowing in one of the labs in USA.
So how can I achieve my goal.
Regards!!!!

devildoc8404
10-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Hey Tajik.

You can probably apply for some bench experience in US labs this year (assuming you can get a visa), but in order to get clinical rotations -- and letters of recommendation -- in the US you will need to be in the final year of medical school, and you will need to have completed at least Step 1 of the USMLE.

TAJIK
10-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Hey Tajik.

You can probably apply for some bench experience in US labs this year (assuming you can get a visa), but in order to get clinical rotations -- and letters of recommendation -- in the US you will need to be in the final year of medical school, and you will need to have completed at least Step 1 of the USMLE.

Hi and thank u Devildoc for ur respond.
Can You explain in details how I can apply for some bench experience in US labs?

devildoc8404
10-19-2013, 01:03 PM
First you need to seek out a hospital that will allow such work. That will involve some significant Google-ing. Then you need to make sure that they will allow a visiting student without USMLE Steps and without being in the final year of medical school. If it is a PhD thing, and not an MD thing, then you might be OK on that front. If there is a doc who will allow it, then you will need a letter of invitation. Then you need to see about getting a visa for the visit, which is not guaranteed and will need to be applied for well in advance, but of course after you have a letter. I would look for researchers in the fields that interest you, and make clear to them that you are offering free labor for X amount of months (assuming you are not trying to get paid for this, because if you are then it is a whole different ballgame).

TAJIK
10-19-2013, 01:16 PM
First you need to seek out a hospital that will allow such work. That will involve some significant Google-ing. Then you need to make sure that they will allow a visiting student without USMLE Steps and without being in the final year of medical school. If it is a PhD thing, and not an MD thing, then you might be OK on that front. If there is a doc who will allow it, then you will need a letter of invitation. Then you need to see about getting a visa for the visit, which is not guaranteed and will need to be applied for well in advance, but of course after you have a letter. I would look for researchers in the fields that interest you, and make clear to them that you are offering free labor for X amount of months (assuming you are not trying to get paid for this, because if you are then it is a whole different ballgame).

I am not trying to get paid so it is ok. I just do not know how to start my search. Should I apply to any research programs or it different? where should I look?
I want to work mainly in medical biology or in medical biochemistry lab....

devildoc8404
10-19-2013, 01:27 PM
You are not applying to a US degree program, correct? So you need to find a professor in a lab that interests you, contact him/her with your CV, and request to be allowed to volunteer in his/her lab for however long. That is it, repeated as many times as it takes to get someone who will say "Yes." You will need to start looking at university hospital websites in areas of the country that interest you, there is no way around that. Most of the actual "research programs" will likely be limited to people who already have degrees, and/or are US citizens. You are at a disadvantage in this endeavor by coming from an EU-style program, in that you do not yet have a university degree. Medical students in the US already have a bachelorīs degree before they start medical school.

TAJIK
10-19-2013, 02:34 PM
I got it, thank you very much. Now I am googling professors from Harvard Stem Cell Institute.

devildoc8404
10-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Wow... aim high, there, Air Force.

Remember that Harvard (and Ivy League programs in general) are not going to be your most likely landing spot. I am not saying that you should not apply there, because I think that you should, but remember to diversify your options. If you end up at a Harvard institute, then more power to you, but apply all over the place.

TAJIK
10-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Is there any other good options?

devildoc8404
10-20-2013, 11:42 AM
Hundreds... but the best option is the one that says that you can come work there!

The search for those programs is going to be contingent on your own personal interests and abilities. Be sure to look at state and public universities, as well as the famous heavy-hitters. Good luck.

TAJIK
10-20-2013, 11:53 AM
thanks a lot

TAJIK
10-22-2013, 07:56 AM
What kind of CV is considered as a strong CV for lab shadowing?

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.