PDA

View Full Version : SMUFOM is amazing!

Torontoguy81
10-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Hi ValueMD,

Thought I would let med hopefuls know about my first few weeks at St. Martinus University. I'd like to start off by saying my expectations have been greatly exceeded and as of now I am extremely happy I chose St. Martinus University to study medicine. I'm not here to make SMUFOM seem like this perfect school or blow smoke up your you know what, so I am going to give you the good, the bad and the awesome!

The campus is currently under construction and is looking absolutely amazing. With that said, there is a lot of work to be done and the noise during class can sometimes be annoying but isn't going to be around forever, so it's completely doable.

On my first day, we were given a tour of the hospital that our school will be participating in research at and got to see cases that I thought I wouldn't see until clinical rotations. We got to look on as a man who was shot 4 times (2 in hand, 2 in chest) had his hand reset from the fractures the bullets caused. I don't consider myself to be squeamish, but the sound of the set and the moan the patient let out was kind of stomach turning. Next, we briefly got to look on as a woman who had her 2nd and 3rd toes severed had them infiltrated. It was truly an inspiring tour of the hospital and really confirmed that I had chosen the right path and the right school.

Currently, the classes I am taking are Anatomy, Embryology, Histology, Genetics, and Clinical Skills. So far, we have covered a monstrous amount of material and it has only been 3 weeks!! All of my classes are great... well, they are theory classes and they are the best a theory class can be expected to be. The professors are fantastic, they really know their stuff (I know because I am in healthcare). The only issue I have had with the professors so far is certain professors have a deep accent and it was initially hard to understand everything they were saying. I can honestly say that after 3 weeks, I can completely understand every word as my ear has acclimated.

I live off campus but most students live on campus and they have told me that the school is perfect if you want to focus on studies (which you should), but not so great when you want to go out and blow off some steam. The school is located in a beautiful area of Curacao overlooking valleys and mountains and bays. If you don't have a car, you have to rely on transportation from friends or the shuttle service the school provides, which as awesome as it is can have its limitations. I don't have first hand experience with the meal plans here but from what I have seen, they offer some really tasty looking dishes and if you have a request I have been told they are flexible, AMAZING! The dorms are dorms. They are dorm sized (not huge) with a bed, desk, fridge (I think) and some have a sink. The restroom facilities are shared but from what I have seen are not coed; males and females have separate facilities.

The material is hard, the professors are great, the campus is coming along, and the diversity in students is what makes this school incredible to attend. If you are thinking about coming to SMUFOM and are concerned about the school's past or future, just give me a shout and I'd be happy to answer any of your questions and reassure you that this is a great school to learn medicine.

Brian2479524795

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.