PDA

View Full Version : Ranking Carib. Medical Schools article

azskeptic
08-27-2013, 08:10 AM
South Florida Caribbean News (http://sflcn.com/story.php?id=13028)

Tipton
08-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Interesting.

I would appreciate a bit more detail on the author's ranking system. Seems a bit strange to me to include both "# of alumni (and ) Quality of island" together. Also some explanation of how he arrived at his scores in the four categories would be helpful. The most significant question mark arose in my mind when I saw Aureus, CMU, Xavier, IAU, Spartan, and Avalon ranked higher than UMHS.

PaddyMelt
08-27-2013, 02:50 PM
well that certainly settles it.

devildoc8404
08-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Some people (like the author) are talking out of their bottoms.

Doc
08-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Interesting.
Seems a bit strange to me to include both "# of alumni (and ) Quality of island" together.

I think it's a typo where "# of alumni" should be on separate line from "Quality of island". If you look at the scores, there are 5 numbers for each school as follows:

Chance of success (%) - this should be the last number since it is more of a total % determined from the 4 other numbers :confused:.
# of alumni
Quality of island
Clinical rotations outlook
Acceptance criteria

Hope that helps.

Mourning Cloak
08-27-2013, 05:21 PM
South Florida Caribbean News (http://sflcn.com/story.php?id=13028)

Just goes to show that if a flatworm submitted an article, the South Florida Caribbean News would publish it.

rokshana
08-27-2013, 05:38 PM
who knew location of the school would make SUCH a difference...guess all those US schools in less desirable places are terrible programs...you know like the mayo...of cleveland clinic...or hopkins...

and i love how at the end they state that since they didn't have "actual data" that they just decided to just give them a random number...

and did you notice that CMU...a school with no real graduates and no residency placements ranked higher than schools that do!

Tipton
08-27-2013, 10:14 PM
CMU...a school with no real graduates and no residency placements ranked higher than schools that do!

Yes indeed.

Tipton
08-27-2013, 10:15 PM
I think it's a typo where "# of alumni" should be on separate line from "Quality of island". If you look at the scores, there are 5 numbers for each school as follows:

Chance of success (%) - this should be the last number since it is more of a total % determined from the 4 other numbers :confused:.
# of alumni
Quality of island
Clinical rotations outlook
Acceptance criteria

Hope that helps.

Makes more sense now.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.