View Full Version : Medical Student Path??

08-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Hello everyone.

I was wondering about the general system that Med students have to go through.

Let's say I've been accepted to LSMU (Lithuanian University of Health Sciences). After a 6-years English program I am getting an M.D. Degree.
This university is recognized by all EU countries and also prepare for USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Examination).

After these 6 years - if I move to the USA, or Canada - What would be my next step? Internship, Residency, Fellowship?
If it has something to do with this: I haven't chosen a specialty yet, but I'm leaning more towards Family Medicine, or Internist.
(Never quit understood the difference between them)

Thanks very much for answering! :)

08-18-2013, 05:58 PM
Checking if your University is listed in the state you wish to apply.
Passing Steps, Matching, Residency. In an ideal world..
Read this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residency_(medicine)#United_States) and rest of this (and other) forum(s).

Not sure how it works in Canada.

08-19-2013, 05:36 AM
1) Have you heard about LSMU? What do you think about it?

A: No, I have not. It is probably a good Uni.

2) Why does other universities across EU give an M.D degree after 6 years and LSMU says "Master of Medicine".. What is that? Why isn't that a regular M.D. Degree? (I sent an e-mail to the university but haven't got an answer yet)
(in this page it says about the degree given: Admission | LSMU (http://lsmuni.lt/en/study-at-lsmu-/))

A: The level of a degree is usually determined by the length of the study. For Bachelor level normally those are 3-4 years, for Master's - 4.5-6 years, for PHD - another 2-4 on top of that. Since LSMU course is 6 years, it corresponds to a Master level. It is just a name on your certificate. In some countries it is MBBS, in some MD, in some MBChB or Master of Medicine, etc. The real question you want to check out - is this course accepted in your (intended) state? Note that English medium programs (usually) need to be mentioned separately.

Say for California (http://www.mbc.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html#l) it says:


Kaunas Medical University
Vilniaus University Faculty of Medicine


Ben Gurion University of the Negrev-Irving and Joyce Goldman School of Med
Ben Gurion University of the Negrev-Program in International Health and Medicine (English Language Program)
Technion Israel Institute of Technology Faculty of Medicine (TeAMS)
Technion-Israel Institute of Technology Faculty of Medicine
Tel Aviv University, Sackler School of Medicine (includes 4-year English Program)
The Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School

* Warning: Some recognized medical schools that teach in their native language are opening English language medical school programs. The English language programs are not recognized unless specifically stated, e.g., "University of Pecs Faculty Medicine" and "Pecs University Medical School English Program (6-year English Program)." The English language programs must apply for recognition and receive approval from the Medical Board of California for the education received from the English language program to be eligible to qualify an applicant for licensure requirements in California.

08-19-2013, 06:01 AM
I understood.

By the way, I live in Israel but I read that anyone who passes the USMLE test doesn't have to pass the license exam here in Israel.

If I finished medical school in Lithuania - and want to do residency in USA - I have to make all the USMLE steps and then fill a request through a university hospital to enter a residency program?

Thanks :)

08-19-2013, 07:54 AM
"Request... to enter residency...?"

Read this (http://studentdoctor.net/2013/05/residency-match-2013-was-it-really-that-bad/) :) It will be much tougher if not impossible in 6 years from now.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.