PDA

View Full Version : Best medical schools in Japan?

noticeray
08-16-2013, 08:33 AM
My son from the Caribbean in got a scholarship to Japan and is considering doing medicine. He will have to do 6 months language training in Japanese. He also has been accepted to the University of the West Indies medical school. As a medical doctor I am a bit sceptical with him accepting the one in Japan. Your advice will be appreciate

Riften
08-17-2013, 04:05 AM
Interesting. I wonder if they have a medical school in Japan that teaches in English. I think he should go to the West Indies medical school so later he can practice in the UK or other English speaking countries.

Tricuspid
08-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Best 4 medical schools in Japan definitely the University of Tokyo, the Tokyo School of Medicine and Dentistry, Osaka University, Kyoto University.

Any school in the 7 imperial schools list is going to be the top. Waseda, Keio, are also likely good schools.

Honestly, I would go to Japan. Japanese medical schools are very good and of very high quality, your son will be able to stay in Japan or go to places like the US after graduation after doing USMLE. A number of Japanese trained physicians work in the US including Columbia's Tomoaki Kato, very famous.

deej
06-24-2014, 10:09 AM
Waseda does not have a school of medicine.

henry90121
06-24-2014, 11:06 AM
Japanese Med school teaches totally in Japanese. No exception.

Talukdar
06-26-2014, 07:14 AM
Sorry, nobody around me is living there now. So, besides the best school, would you tell me something about the livings there. I might get interest and come over there

medic300107
06-26-2014, 04:23 PM
The biggest challenge will be that I doubt 6 months is enough to learn the Japanese language fluently enough to not struggle more in school. Medical school is hard enough alone without having a language barrier on top of it. That would be my concern.

Talukdar
06-27-2014, 07:57 AM
I don't think 6 months is a small amount of time. And again, I must say, 6 months is a very small time period of time to learn a new language.

deej
06-27-2014, 02:27 PM
If you want to study medicine in Japan as a foreigner, you must take an exam called the EJU. You can find info and links via Wikipedia. There is a language component, as well as specific content area tests ( math, chem, bio, physics etc.). Some departments allow the content area tests to be given in English; however, prospective medical students must take the content area tests in Japanese. Some (most, almost all) medical departments then require selected candidates to take a second exam, the same second exam given to Japanese students (of course, this is in Japanese). Often, there is an interview and writing assignment (also in Japanese). Some of the best information about the EJU and the second (university specific) exam is available on-line in Japanese.
Foreigners have entered and graduated from Japanese medical schools, including westerners (a few). It's not impossible; however, you may expect that preparation will take significantly more than six months.
Good luck to you in your endeavors.

vicky25
07-03-2014, 06:31 AM
The University of Tokyo, kyoto university, osaka university, keio university, Kyushu university, Faculty of Medicine of Kagawa University are some of the top medical colleges in Japan
Though I am not sure if they will teach in English. You should be familiar with Japanese

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.