PDA

View Full Version : Chances of getting accepted as a transfer to AUA

chalo
08-09-2013, 07:44 PM
What are my chances of getting accepted as a transfer to AUA. I recently got dismissed at the end of my 3rd year from a U.S medical school for failing an in-house OSCE exam and the obgyn shelf exam. I've completed all core clerkships and just need to retake the shelf exam in obgyn. I took step 1 and scored above a 200 on the first try. I am scheduled to take step 2 next month but not sure if I should take it. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

pepsatrap
08-09-2013, 09:10 PM
What are my chances of getting accepted as a transfer to AUA. I recently got dismissed at the end of my 3rd year from a U.S medical school for failing an in-house OSCE exam and the obgyn shelf exam. I've completed all core clerkships and just need to retake the shelf exam in obgyn. I took step 1 and scored above a 200 on the first try. I am scheduled to take step 2 next month but not sure if I should take it. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

try contacting the NY office for the best advice. I would say you have a great chance of transferring to AUA given you already passed step 1. But your chances of matching as a carrib grad with the same step 1 score is far less than a US grad.

chalo
08-09-2013, 09:32 PM
Thanks. I'm actually going to be NYC next week and I'll try contacting the offices then.

almostdonemd
11-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks. I'm actually going to be NYC next week and I'll try contacting the offices then.

I am almost in your exact same situation. Im from a US school and was dismissed at the beginning of 4th year because of my boards score. I am from an osteopathic school so its a different test. I interviewed with aua last week and Im waiting for their decision to accept me with advanced placement (hopefully in 4th year after completing the usmle board exams). Have you received any word from aua?

pepsatrap
11-08-2013, 12:44 PM
I am almost in your exact same situation. Im from a US school and was dismissed at the beginning of 4th year because of my boards score. I am from an osteopathic school so its a different test. I interviewed with aua last week and Im waiting for their decision to accept me with advanced placement (hopefully in 4th year after completing the usmle board exams). Have you received any word from aua?

I am sure AUA will take you but the Clinical situation at AUA is tough. Based on that not sure where they may place you.

almostdonemd
11-08-2013, 01:01 PM
I am sure AUA will take you but the Clinical situation at AUA is tough. Based on that not sure where they may place you.

Yeah I've heard that it's tough to secure 3rd year core rotations at aua. I've already completed all my cores so I'm hoping to avoid that situation all together and just finish off my electives. I would hate to have to repeat rotations I've already passed.

sagopalm
11-08-2013, 03:39 PM
I am in the same exact situation as you almostdonemd and was at the beginning of 4th year after being dismissed. I interviewed a while back and am still waiting to hear back from them.

It would be great that we can transfer directly into 4th year. However, I've heard stories from the clinical deans at UMHS and SMU of having students transferring directly into 4th year and could not qualify to start with a residency he did match into because the hospital found out that his last two years of medical was not done with the school of graduation, which was against their policy. This makes me kind of worried =/

almostdonemd
11-17-2013, 10:14 AM
I just got a rejection from aua yesterday. I'm at a complete loss because it was just an outright rejection. I have a 3.8-3.9 gpa from undergrad, a 25 MCAT, great LORs, and I completed 3 full years of medical school without failures. My weakness was the COMLEX exam which is why I was dismissed. Also, the interview couldn't have gone any better. I thought I would be offered a spot to maybe repeat rotations or even course work, but no options were given at all. I found this a bit alarming to say the least. Other than my dismissal from a US school because of the COMLEX exam, my record is OK in my opinion. Could there be another reason that I am not aware of as to why I was not accepted?

sagopalm
11-17-2013, 12:20 PM
aww im so sorry to hear that almostdonemd. Can I ask how did they communicate the news to you? eg. postmail, phone, or email? Have you tried to appeal their decision? Was there something specific about why you didn't pass the COMLEX? I hop everything turns out well for you in the end!!

almostdonemd
11-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Thanks sagopalm! They mailed a letter to my house. I was just really surprised at the outcome since everything seemed to be going so well. Im definitely going to call them tomorrow and see if they can give me a second look. I hate making excuses as to why I didn't pass the the comlex but my father did die during my coursework in medical school. I think it may have taken a toll on my confidence. But since then I've been studying for the usmle and literally have gotten to the point where I know this information like the back of my hand.

pepsatrap
11-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Thanks sagopalm! They mailed a letter to my house. I was just really surprised at the outcome since everything seemed to be going so well. Im definitely going to call them tomorrow and see if they can give me a second look. I hate making excuses as to why I didn't pass the the comlex but my father did die during my coursework in medical school. I think it may have taken a toll on my confidence. But since then I've been studying for the usmle and literally have gotten to the point where I know this information like the back of my hand.

Try applying again. Chances AUA might have rejected you is due to the clinical bottleneck. limited spots due to loss of accredition as there have been rampant cheating complaints. I just heard from the admin that >200 kids from med 5 who didn't even pass comprehensive shelf even after 3 shots were sent to clinical rotations. So the school has to find a way to allocate them or get rid of them when they fail step 1 or don't pass comp within a certain number of attempts.

siheg
11-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Try applying again. Chances AUA might have rejected you is due to the clinical bottleneck. limited spots due to loss of accredition as there have been rampant cheating complaints. I just heard from the admin that >200 kids from med 5 who didn't even pass comprehensive shelf even after 3 shots were sent to clinical rotations. So the school has to find a way to allocate them or get rid of them when they fail step 1 or don't pass comp within a certain number of attempts.

Loss of accreditation? For some reason I think you have no idea what your talking about.

almostdonemd
11-17-2013, 07:29 PM
I applied to the 5th semester, and according to aua, after passing my boards I would be placed into my 4th year if all my courses and core clerkships transferred. So I'm not sure if that is the reason. If I apply again, would it have to be for the following semester? That might be to long for me to wait.

pepsatrap
11-17-2013, 07:46 PM
Loss of accreditation? For some reason I think you have no idea what your talking about.

The school lost NBME priviledges completely and the Provost threatened to quit the school b/c of it. I think you should clarify with the NY office before you hastily accuse someone of not knowing what they are talking about. Also, if I am not mistaken the school has repeatedly had problems with clinical sites in the State of New York and Ohio b/c of students cheating and getting caught. The clinical director/dean said that one AUA student got caught in clinicals cheating and the State of Ohio placed us in Quarantine. That just places a bottleneck on clinical spots across all MED 3 and MED 4 students in AUA.

pepsatrap
11-17-2013, 07:48 PM
I applied to the 5th semester, and according to aua, after passing my boards I would be placed into my 4th year if all my courses and core clerkships transferred. So I'm not sure if that is the reason. If I apply again, would it have to be for the following semester? That might be to long for me to wait.

I am currently an AUA student finished Step 1 and am almost at the end of the tunnel. Trust me, the clinical bottleneck situation in AUA is frustrating. Especially when you get scheduled for your next rotations finding out that it has been post poned or cancelled.

sagopalm
11-21-2013, 08:30 PM
It's been about 6 weeks after I interviewed and I have been accepted as a transfer student to AUA. I have very glad they accepted almost all of my third year rotations and really look forward to joining the AUA family. Best wishes to everyone else!

Arkie, M.D.
12-05-2013, 08:47 PM
I just got a rejection from aua yesterday. I'm at a complete loss because it was just an outright rejection. I have a 3.8-3.9 gpa from undergrad, a 25 MCAT, great LORs, and I completed 3 full years of medical school without failures. My weakness was the COMLEX exam which is why I was dismissed. Also, the interview couldn't have gone any better. I thought I would be offered a spot to maybe repeat rotations or even course work, but no options were given at all. I found this a bit alarming to say the least. Other than my dismissal from a US school because of the COMLEX exam, my record is OK in my opinion. Could there be another reason that I am not aware of as to why I was not accepted?

Wow, glad I applied when I did (fall 2008). I was also dismissed, but from a CARIBBEAN school (AUC), and was accepted as a transfer student. Don't remember my undergrad gpa exactly, but it was ~3.0 and I had a 22 MCAT. Guess a lot has changed since then. Best of luck to you. I hope things work out in the end. They usually do.

Raj25
12-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Wow, glad I applied when I did (fall 2008). I was also dismissed, but from a CARIBBEAN school (AUC), and was accepted as a transfer student. Don't remember my undergrad gpa exactly, but it was ~3.0 and I had a 22 MCAT. Guess a lot has changed since then. Best of luck to you. I hope things work out in the end. They usually do.

GPA and MCAT has nothing to do with getting accepted especially to AUA. Most probably got rejected due to the clinical bottleneck situation - not enough spots.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.