PDA

View Full Version : Where should I apply? Failed both steps once

xgiav
07-27-2013, 07:19 AM
Need some guidance in applying. Hopefully some kind AUA grads can help me out. Main dilemma that I failed step 1 and ck once and the repeat ck score wasn't great. I still want to keep my hope of matching alive so please try to offer only practical advise.

Summer2013
07-27-2013, 12:52 PM
When you say not so good, could you please give some numbers so we can give better advice?

pepsatrap
07-27-2013, 01:21 PM
There are IMGs who match even after failing step 1 once. But those IMGs are most probably non american IMGs (i.e., those who studied in India or other countries) where they have a solid medical degrees and have completed residency in their respective countries. The dilemma with caribbean grads are that unless you have had stellar clinical clerkship experiences, research, references and clerkship grades, the caribbean school where you did your MD will hinder your chances of matching unless you can score well on step 1. failing step 1 once and having a caribbean degree will most likely place you at a huge disadvantage. Know that there are "island" hoppers or students who fail one school, transfer to another. So most likely you will be placed in the same category as them. You CAN over come your step 1 failures as a caribb grad by getting high on your clinicals and getting stellar references. Taken that your repeat step 1 score is high (>220).

sreec
07-28-2013, 02:02 PM
It's difficult to go through the Match with failing scores because most programs would filter out your application and you won't be considered for an interview. It's better to contact Program Directors directly and express interest or consider an observership plus or minus research. Everyone I know in your circumstances who successfully found residency spots worked as observers or research assistants until they found a spot in the same institution.

Sometimes an unpaid research position turns into a prelim PGY-1 position or a research fellowship position, and that may or may not lead to a categorical residency spot.

xgiav
08-02-2013, 04:10 PM
I just finished a 4 week observership and I am working as a volunteer research assistant. I have expressed interest in obtaining a residency position as soon as possible. They don't know any program director directly so that makes things difficult. I can inquire about a research fellowship position and if I may be eligible.

rahulb
08-04-2013, 06:51 AM
try applying to burger king

pepsatrap
08-04-2013, 12:16 PM
xgiav - AUA is trying out this new enhancements program between breaks to help students who fail step 1 or get a low score get a better shot at residency by doing research. So far apparently it hasn't worked out since the new batch of the new curriculum did so horribly on comp shelf and none of them got credible research done. rather fooled around between semesters and really wasted their 'enhancements' instead of studying (reflected by their comp shelf scores in the low 40s).

xgiav - try a different line.

girlintransit
08-04-2013, 12:31 PM
try applying to burger king

I find it very strange that this rahul person went to this college, apparently has now graduated but likes to linger on this forum and be a troll. I've posted on here only once before and I actually logged in just to say that. I don't say "troll" lightly because it's an annoyingly cliched word. However, it's quite apt in this case because I've been waiting to see responses to the top three posts and was disappointed to find all new comments are non-constructive insults hurled towards the OPs by rahul. Residency life not fulfilling enough for you? God I hope I have better things to do once I graduate - if I end up malingering on forums just to be spiteful, please just shoot me and put me out of my misery.

xgiav
08-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Thanks for your stupid reply.

xgiav
08-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Thank you for your stupid response!

xgiav
08-08-2013, 05:14 AM
I hear some people say that they apply everywhere. Are they exaggerating or do they really ally everywhere. Anyone knows of any hospitals in remote areas?

Arkie, M.D.
08-15-2013, 05:49 AM
You need to take and pass step 3 on the first attempt. This MAY help your chances of matching. Also when some people say they apply everywhere, they are not exaggerating. If I were in your circumstance, I would be applying to 250+ family medicine programs and I'd be focusing my search on the "less desirable" programs. Learn how to search for programs that didn't fill all their spots - these are programs that fill spots outside of the match historically, these are often going to be easier to match into. Also, search for programs that have other carib grad residents. If there aren't a lot of carib grads, don't waste your time applying.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.