PDA

View Full Version : Incoming students to MUG 2013

Witchblair
07-19-2013, 09:13 AM
There's yet to be a thread for the incoming students to the Medical University of Gdansk. I thought I would create this thread to try and get to know some people that also have been accepted, I believe Canada/US had the test a couple of days ago?
Start writing those of you who were accepted, and also anyone else out of interest, :D! Can't wait untill it begins, I have heard so much positiveness about this university

sarkiwaqas
07-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Hi there, I am from UK and going down to Gdansk in September 2013. I have researched a lot and the university seems to be really good. When do you arrive and where are you from?

bazzinga
07-20-2013, 10:48 AM
Hey there :) I'm from US but living in Gdansk, I have my entrance exams on 1st August.

The facilities of the University seem really awesome, especially the new hospital, I'm so excited, I really hope I'm gonna do well in the exams!!!

Any tips on that? Were they difficult, how did you guys do?

sarkiwaqas
07-21-2013, 07:17 AM
Hey, the exam wasn't too bad. We had 30 questions from biology and 30 from chemistry. Chemistry section was a bit tricky I have to admit but I am sure you will do just fine. They asked me a lot of questions in the interview relating to cell biology(esp relating to DNA and RNA structure).

Let me know if you need any help.

I have been to krakow and visiting gdansk soon to sort an appt. what's gdansk like to live? Do people speak English much ot not at all?Any info would be great.

Hey there :) I'm from US but living in Gdansk, I have my entrance exams on 1st August.

The facilities of the University seem really awesome, especially the new hospital, I'm so excited, I really hope I'm gonna do well in the exams!!!

Any tips on that? Were they difficult, how did you guys do?

bazzinga
07-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Hey, the exam wasn't too bad. We had 30 questions from biology and 30 from chemistry. Chemistry section was a bit tricky I have to admit but I am sure you will do just fine. They asked me a lot of questions in the interview relating to cell biology(esp relating to DNA and RNA structure).

Let me know if you need any help.

I have been to krakow and visiting gdansk soon to sort an appt. what's gdansk like to live? Do people speak English much ot not at all?Any info would be great.

Hmm I'm not sure what to tell you... I must say I enjoy Gdansk a lot. It has a really beautiful old town and there are generally a lot of things to do :). It's quite a big city and has everything you may need, a choice of cinemas, shopping centres, bowling places, bars, pubs, restaurants - the variety is really big you can never be bored. The people here go out a lot and are pretty social. Also, since it's in the Tricity (along with Sopot and Gdynia) it's really easy to get to these cities, which also offer a lot when it comes to entertainment. Plus everything's much cheaper than UK ;).

When it comes to studying, there are also several libraries which are really well equipped.

Not everybody speaks English, but definitely the majority, especially the young people, who are also super friendly. You should not have any difficulties finding help if you get lost or getting along getting some groceries. Just go for the younger people, the oder ones might be unpleasant and not english-speaking.

The transport's also pretty fine, with a bus or a tram you can get anywhere, plus the majority of the public transport has been recently modernised, so the comfort's pretty high. Unless you're unlucky and get on one of the few yucky old ones -.- but there's only a few of those ^^

Ohh and I don't know which part of the UK you're from, but the fact that Gdańsk is right next to the see and during the warmer weekends you can just take the bus to the beach is a huge advantage comparing to other cities :) Unless you don't like the sea or water... Well then it sucks.

Let me know if you have any further, more detailed questions, that's just a very general review ;). As for me, could you just tell me what should I focus on with Chemistry? Have you seen the topics for review on the mug website? Are they accurate? I reviewed them all, just not sure what needs more reviewing ;)

Hope you'll enjoy Gdansk :)

sarkiwaqas
07-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the information, it's really helpful. Regarding the exam, the tricky questions in the chemistry section related to Solubility and the topics were exactly the same as listed on the website. If you have covered them, you will be absolutely fine.

I am from Manchester in UK. My brother is a doctor in US so i visit Chicago every few months. Where about in US are you from? Btw does gdansk allow clinical rotations in US and are there many UK,US and Canadian students for medicine?

Also, where is the university located? Is it quite central? I am trying to find apartment so the more I can find out the better it is.

Thanks.

Hmm I'm not sure what to tell you... I must say I enjoy Gdansk a lot. It has a really beautiful old town and there are generally a lot of things to do :). It's quite a big city and has everything you may need, a choice of cinemas, shopping centres, bowling places, bars, pubs, restaurants - the variety is really big you can never be bored. The people here go out a lot and are pretty social. Also, since it's in the Tricity (along with Sopot and Gdynia) it's really easy to get to these cities, which also offer a lot when it comes to entertainment. Plus everything's much cheaper than UK ;).

When it comes to studying, there are also several libraries which are really well equipped.

Not everybody speaks English, but definitely the majority, especially the young people, who are also super friendly. You should not have any difficulties finding help if you get lost or getting along getting some groceries. Just go for the younger people, the oder ones might be unpleasant and not english-speaking.

The transport's also pretty fine, with a bus or a tram you can get anywhere, plus the majority of the public transport has been recently modernised, so the comfort's pretty high. Unless you're unlucky and get on one of the few yucky old ones -.- but there's only a few of those ^^

Ohh and I don't know which part of the UK you're from, but the fact that Gdańsk is right next to the see and during the warmer weekends you can just take the bus to the beach is a huge advantage comparing to other cities :) Unless you don't like the sea or water... Well then it sucks.

Let me know if you have any further, more detailed questions, that's just a very general review ;). As for me, could you just tell me what should I focus on with Chemistry? Have you seen the topics for review on the mug website? Are they accurate? I reviewed them all, just not sure what needs more reviewing ;)

Hope you'll enjoy Gdansk :)

bazzinga
07-22-2013, 11:34 AM
I'm from Florida :) But I've visited Chicago and enjoyed it quite a lot! Never been to Manchester, though.

The main facilities of the university are quite near the city centre. Well, near by tram. The tram stop is like two minutes away from the main building at which most of the lectures take place. They may also take place in some other building, I'm not quite sure. Perhaps you could try writing to people who are in the English Division Gdansk group on Facebook, they might be more of a help than me in the matter of the location of the apartment. All I can tell you is that while you can rent a flat in the city centre, it would be probably much cheaper in a part of Gdansk called Wrzeszcz which as far as I know is also pretty well communicated with the university :). I think the university website also provides plenty of info on that matter.

I talked to a guy at MUG and he said that I can try do the 4 weeks of the summer elective programme in the states, though I have no idea how does it work for UK residents.

The majority of the students is supposed to be Scandinavian, but there are also a lot of Americans or Canadians. From what I've heard not that much students from UK.

hope this helps ;)

Thanks for the information, it's really helpful. Regarding the exam, the tricky questions in the chemistry section related to Solubility and the topics were exactly the same as listed on the website. If you have covered them, you will be absolutely fine.

I am from Manchester in UK. My brother is a doctor in US so i visit Chicago every few months. Where about in US are you from? Btw does gdansk allow clinical rotations in US and are there many UK,US and Canadian students for medicine?

Also, where is the university located? Is it quite central? I am trying to find apartment so the more I can find out the better it is.

Thanks.

DrWhite89
07-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Good Day All!

I have also been accepted into MUG for September start! I am looking forward to it, but also a little hesitant as I may among the oldest there.

Background: I completed my degree in my hometown at the University of Ontario, Institute of Technology.
I then did a Master's in Organic Chemistry (so the entrance exam was somewhat easy).

I am from Oshawa, Ontario, a relatively average sized town outside of Toronto.

I am wondering how everyone is planning on moving stuff overseas, as I'm not sure if it will be easier to ship, or to pay extra luggage fees for the flight?

Cheers,

T

sarkiwaqas
07-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Hi Drwhite89, I would definitely not worry about it as I am exactly the same. I completed my law degree from University of Manchester and them did masters. After that I practised law in UK for a few years and then realised that Medicine is where I belong. I then did a pre-med in medicine and managed to work hard and get into Gdansk and a few other med schools. So age is really not a factor as med students range between 22-44. How old are you if you don't mind me asking? Regarding the luggage, I am not really moving a lot of stuff because Gdansk is only 1hour 50 mins flight from UK and I'd be coming home quite a bit. I would advise that you don't take much stuff because most appts are furnished and if you take extra luggage it will be more hassle for you to keep moving it about. Gdansk is really one of the best unis in Europe, including the UK and I have been told that residency won't be an issue if you do well there.

Good Day All!

I have also been accepted into MUG for September start! I am looking forward to it, but also a little hesitant as I may among the oldest there.

Background: I completed my degree in my hometown at the University of Ontario, Institute of Technology.
I then did a Master's in Organic Chemistry (so the entrance exam was somewhat easy).

I am wondering how everyone is planning on moving stuff overseas, as I'm not sure if it will be easier to ship, or to pay extra luggage fees for the flight?

Cheers,

T

DrWhite89
07-23-2013, 05:53 PM
Thank you sarkiwagas for the reply.

I'm not actually that old, 25. As it was a high school entrance, I was wondering if there'd be a lot of 18-20 year old students. If it's a lot of mature students, then it should be a great program.

As to luggage, Im just looking at bringing clothes over. Oh and my bicycle, but I know I will have to pay extra for that, unless I find a way to fit it in a suitcase.

As I hear, it has similar seasons and weather/climate as where I am from, so I'm just wondering about summer and winter clothing and shipping.

T

Hi Drwhite89, I would definitely not worry about it as I am exactly the same. I completed my law degree from University of Manchester and them did masters. After that I practised law in UK for a few years and then realised that Medicine is where I belong. I then did a pre-med in medicine and managed to work hard and get into Gdansk and a few other med schools. So age is really not a factor as med students range between 22-44. How old are you if you don't mind me asking? Regarding the luggage, I am not really moving a lot of stuff because Gdansk is only 1hour 50 mins flight from UK and I'd be coming home quite a bit. I would advise that you don't take much stuff because most appts are furnished and if you take extra luggage it will be more hassle for you to keep moving it about. Gdansk is really one of the best unis in Europe, including the UK and I have been told that residency won't be an issue if you do well there.

memoirs
07-24-2013, 04:55 PM
How old are you then sarkiwaqas, if you don't mind me asking? ;)
By the way, congratulations to everyone who was accepted!

sarkiwaqas
07-25-2013, 04:07 AM
Luggage wise I think it would be best to limit the stuff or pay for extra luggage.

memoirs- I am 26. Have you been accepted?

How old are you then sarkiwaqas, if you don't mind me asking? ;)
By the way, congratulations to everyone who was accepted!

duzzy
07-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Good Day All!

Cheers,

T

Don't worry about age. I started at 27 and I wasn't the oldest person, either. After a few months you will get to know more people your age from the upper years and it will be fine. If I were you I would use one of those Polish shipping companies (it's called Polamer in Chicago) and ship it by sea. Taking extra luggages can be a bit pricey. Anyways, congrats, welcome to GUMed, buy essential clinical and start reading the upper limb chapter!!!

Aleee
08-19-2013, 08:31 AM
I am will be starting in Gdansk in september. Hope to see you on the orientation week.
I am from Norway :)

bazzinga
08-19-2013, 11:11 AM
I also got accepted, see you all in september :)

duzzy
08-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Welcome to Gdansk! As a heads up, buy essential clinical and netters right away. If you get a head start in anatomy in the beginning (and I mean understand everything, not just memorize names) you will have an easier time when juggling the other classes. Anatomy and histology take the most time to study for by far. Your first lecture will be about anatomical positions, planes, axis, and movements. The introduction chapter in essential clinical pretty much sums up what you have to know. Also, read the different types of joints there are. Joints are a huge part of upper and lower limb. After you are familiar with that stuff then jump into the bones (I think scapula, clavicle, and humerus will be discussed first if I remember correctly.) Anyways, congrats, good job, and welcome to Gdansk!!!! Maybe I'll meet some of you during orientation week. - Mike

reichmann
08-31-2013, 03:31 PM
Couldn't agree more. Netters atlas is very useful as is the essential clinical anatomy.

shan2
09-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Hi, even I am joining this Session, but in the paramedical.
If some one has got the admission for the same then join this Forum "How many Showing up for the PreMedical Course 2013!!!" look for this on the previous page.
Thanks

Gina Minarji
09-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Hi there! We have a Medical University of Gdansk Group on Facebook. Join it. And if you'd like to add me as a friend (I'm also starting there in a week), it's Gina Minarji. See you in Gdansk!

Gina Minarji
09-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Hola everybody! I'm also commencing my first year in Gdansk in a week. You can add me on Facebook: Gina Minarji.

aries28
12-30-2013, 07:01 PM
Hey, if anyone happens to come back on this thread that took the 6 year M.D program at MUG, would you mind mentioning:

1) What the age group of your first year in the 6 years?
2) What age group was the majority of the class?
3) Please write what year you entered MUG

I am worried I will be a young kid out of all the students if I get accepted, because after reading this thread I feel I am too young. -Thanks

scapula08
12-31-2013, 05:48 AM
I think the avg age is around 20. Just applying, haven't completed anything yet, hope I get in! But, I think it's really good to apply young, you graduate at like 24 25 bro!

reichmann
12-31-2013, 06:00 AM
Hey, if anyone happens to come back on this thread that took the 6 year M.D program at MUG, would you mind mentioning:

1) What the age group of your first year in the 6 years?
2) What age group was the majority of the class?
3) Please write what year you entered MUG

I am worried I will be a young kid out of all the students if I get accepted, because after reading this thread I feel I am too young. -Thanks

The age group in year 1 was roughly 21. Although quite a few 18 and 19, so I don't think that's anything to worry about. The kids that graduate at 25 are really proud cause you can specialize by 30 which is really nice, so honestly, go for it, don't worry about the age, worry about getting in : ) I entered in 2008.

aries28
12-31-2013, 10:46 AM
Thanks, for the responses I really appreciate it, and for the support :)

lillymed123
03-12-2015, 09:46 AM
Hey guys, I am planning on attending that school but still haven't taken the entrance exam... I can not find the link to find the books to study for it though and I would also like to know if a 72 in bio and high 80 in chem will suffice?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.