PDA

View Full Version : about Medical University Of Sofia

housam424
07-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Dear Guys,

I am a medical student in Aleppo University, Syria. Because of the fighting in my city I am about to transfer to the Medical University of Sofia.

Do you recommend this university for me as I wish to register with the GMC after graduation ? if not which medical school with an English course do you recommend for me ?

Does anyone know how much I should pay per year ? ( please mention that I am Bulgarian )

Thanks for your help :)

devildoc8404
07-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Your tuition will depend on whether you enter the Bulgarian or the English language curriculum. I would strongly recommend the Bulgarian curriculum for better teaching, better academic support, and a better-prepared cohort of medical students.

GMC approval should pose no problems, as MU-S offers an EU medical diploma. The стажант period of 6th year is accepted in the UK as the equivalent of FY1, so you are eligible to enter FY2 after graduation, assuming you can find a position.

Good luck...

housam424
07-13-2013, 09:21 AM
Thanks for replay,

Actually I am planning to enter the English course as my Bulgarian language is not strong enough to study medicine. Would this cause any problem for me with the GMC ?
and would you advise me to enroll in this course ?

Thanks

devildoc8404
07-13-2013, 10:00 AM
There are a lot of issues with the English course. I have written about them ad nauseam here in VMD, you can do a search and read all about it. The English program is still GMC approved, according to my UK classmate and others, but honestly the quality of the education is simply not the same. It is competitive to enter the Bulgarian program, so most of the students are pretty sharp. It is much easier to enter the English program, so a lot of the students are pretty bad... in fact, it is getting to the point where the English skills of many students are just abysmal. I spoke with one of my former professors yesterday and she said that some of the students from Turkey and Greece cannot even hold a basic conversation in English, let alone pass exams. Trust me, you do not want to be in study groups and classes with students like that... the professors and Bulgarian students will assume that all of the group are that terrible, and you will often be treated like an idiot even if you study and work hard.

In general, I do not advise most people to study in Bulgaria (in English, at any rate). With that said, if you are Bulgarian, and you are comfortable with the country and how things roll there, then you might be all right. It will not be easy, and it will be a huge pain in the butt, but it is possible. It also depends on where you want to work afterward... UK should be doable, at least as things are currently constituted. I would recommend taking a bit of time to get relatively fluent in Bulgarian and entering the Bulgarian course, but that is up to you.

Good luck.

housam424
07-13-2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks man .. I am very thankful as I finally found someone who can help me with this issue and I hope I am not bothering you with my questions.

Bulgaria is not the only choice for me. I am ready to study everywhere but the major issue is that can I find a better medical school that teaches in English anywhere in Europe with the same tuition fees ?

I have to do it this summer as the situation in my city is really getting terrible.

waiting for your replay / Thanks

devildoc8404
07-13-2013, 11:28 AM
I understand, and I certainly sympathize with your situation.

Of course there are better options for English study in Europe! The first best choice would be Ireland, but it is very expensive. However, Poland has several very good options for English speaking students. In Poland, I would recommend looking at Jagiellonian, Warsaw, and Gdansk. Hungary has Semmelweis. Czech Republic has Charles First Faculty. Croatia is now a part of the EU as of a couple of weeks ago, and has programs in Zagreb and Split. All of these are probably better options than Bulgaria at this time. However, the fees are not the same across the board. I know that most of the Polish schools are more expensive, but you will need to do some research to get the most current fees for all of these places. I am no longer in search of a school, so I do not keep track of who charges what. :)

Romania has a few good programs (and some really bad ones) and they are usually a lot cheaper than Bulgaria. I would suggest checking out Cluj Napoca, but be careful with some of the other universities in Romania. It is a mixed bag. Riga Stradins in Latvia seems interesting but I have not heard a lot one way or the other regarding the quality of the program.

The biggest problem is if you are just starting your search now... it is really late for this coming Fall. Most schools have already passed their application deadline, so you will need to work quickly. Good luck!

zamunda
07-16-2013, 03:50 AM
has the English course in Sofia developed since these posts?
Thanks.

devildoc8404
07-17-2013, 02:58 PM
My last post on this thread was a whopping four days ago... so I would suppose not.

I was also in Sofia for a few days last week, and nothing much had changed. Some of the hallways are updated in the main lecture building, but it is still lipstick on a pig at this point.

zamunda
07-18-2013, 01:29 AM
My last post on this thread was a whopping four days ago... so I would suppose not.

I was also in Sofia for a few days last week, and nothing much had changed. Some of the hallways are updated in the main lecture building, but it is still lipstick on a pig at this point.

I appologize. I thought your join date was your last post date...May 2004..

devildoc8404
07-18-2013, 05:41 AM
No need to apologize, zamunda. Easy mistake to make!

Now, there has been progress in Sofia proper, and people are currently protesting against government corruption, but not a whole lot has changed at the medical school. It is prettier, and there are some new buildings (and renovations of older buildings), and the Secretariat/Dekanat is certainly nicer than when I first started there, but the program itself is largely the same.

zamunda
07-19-2013, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the update.

housam424
07-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Does anybody know the deadlines for admission ?

devildoc8404
07-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Depending on whether you are willing to take a trip there and walk your application through personally, the deadline is probably pretty fluid.

housam424
07-24-2013, 06:07 PM
I would like to transfer and i think it takes a long process .. so do you know specific dates?

devildoc8404
07-24-2013, 07:53 PM
I do not think that specific dates exist... honestly. As I have stated on numerous occasions, organization is not always a Balkan strong point... and even then, it could be flexible. I would contact the head of international students, or the Dekanat, and tell them that you want to transfer in. However, remember that getting official notification can take for-freaking-ever. There is a good chance that you might have to start classes without an official letter, which can lead to visa problems later, depending on your situation. Contact the school, and see how you can make it work.

housam424
08-23-2013, 01:21 PM
I do not think that specific dates exist... honestly. As I have stated on numerous occasions, organization is not always a Balkan strong point... and even then, it could be flexible. I would contact the head of international students, or the Dekanat, and tell them that you want to transfer in. However, remember that getting official notification can take for-freaking-ever. There is a good chance that you might have to start classes without an official letter, which can lead to visa problems later, depending on your situation. Contact the school, and see how you can make it work.

thanks for your help .. may i ask you one more question
is there any exam I should take after completing the 6th year finals ? and if yes ? when does this exam take place ??

devildoc8404
08-23-2013, 08:44 PM
What do you mean? An exam for what... for graduation? For practice eligibility in a certain location? I have no idea what you are asking.

housam424
08-24-2013, 04:38 AM
I mean the state examination for medicine .. do you know its timing ?

devildoc8404
08-27-2013, 08:13 AM
Yes. The state graduation exams run throughout the entire Stazhant, or pre-graduate internship, period of sixth year. There are five separate elements to the state graduation exams: Surgery, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Ob-Gyn, and Occupational/ID/Epidemiology (not necessarily in that order).

Stazh starts in about March/April, and there is a new exam roughly every 6 weeks or so, with a few other required rotations thrown in that do not have an exam, such as Emergency Medicine. This means that you finish the exams in September or October (roughly, assuming you miss/fail no exams... if you do, then it obviously takes longer).

However, even if you complete all of the examinations on time, actual graduation is not until December or January.

housam424
08-30-2013, 03:48 AM
Yes. The state graduation exams run throughout the entire Stazhant, or pre-graduate internship, period of sixth year. There are five separate elements to the state graduation exams: Surgery, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Ob-Gyn, and Occupational/ID/Epidemiology (not necessarily in that order).

Stazh starts in about March/April, and there is a new exam roughly every 6 weeks or so, with a few other required rotations thrown in that do not have an exam, such as Emergency Medicine. This means that you finish the exams in September or October (roughly, assuming you miss/fail no exams... if you do, then it obviously takes longer).

However, even if you complete all of the examinations on time, actual graduation is not until December or January.

First, Thanks for your great help.

my question is if I did the state examination during the inter-year .. can I graduate by June or July ? or I must wait for January ?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.