PDA

View Full Version : Is it recommended to study in University of Novi Sad, Serbia

Waleed93
06-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Hello Docs / Med Students,

Im new here in this forum, but i've been reading alot of discussions for a while and I decided to join and ask about my situation as am sure I'll find some valuable advice here.

I'm 20 and I'm very motivated to do an MD/MBBS degree and continue my training in the US and then continue in Dubai (where i currently reside)
I should point out that I've taken almost 2 years off since high school. My A-Level grades aren't helping me to get admission to medical schools in Western EU countries (like Germany, france, Sweden, etc..), my O-Levels are good however,, I take the fees into consideration so I wont be able to study in expensive med schools (my annual budget is around 10k to 12k USD), and I am aware that medical studies in English in most countries isn't a cheap option (especially CA approved programs).. however in many European countries, the native-language programs are well recognized and are relatively cheaper, so that's what I am willing to do..

I have got a limited list of choices,, so I wanted your opinions, based on my specific situation, would Novi Sad-Serbia be a good option for me to go for? cuz my chances are pretty good there and I can start by this September..(I will have to take a language preparatory program to study in the native language,,)

If not, then any other recommendations would be very appreciated, thanks

devildoc8404
06-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Read the posts on VMD regarding the future for foreign medical graduates after 2016. It is already roughly a 50/50 proposition and expected to decline significantly from there, if the AAMC and ACGME are correct.

I mean, feel free to go for it, but if you want to work in Dubai, there are probably a number of more likely residency scenarios that will get you to your goal and be accepted in Dubai.

I have not read much on VMD about Novi Sad (or Serbia in general) so you could be among the first to enlighten fellow readers! Just be aware that Serbia is non-EU, so EU acceptance of the degree is not automatic.

Waleed93
06-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Read the posts on VMD regarding the future for foreign medical graduates after 2016. It is already roughly a 50/50 proposition and expected to decline significantly from there, if the AAMC and ACGME are correct.

I mean, feel free to go for it, but if you want to work in Dubai, there are probably a number of more likely residency scenarios that will get you to your goal and be accepted in Dubai.

I have not read much on VMD about Novi Sad (or Serbia in general) so you could be among the first to enlighten fellow readers! Just be aware that Serbia is non-EU, so EU acceptance of the degree is not automatic.

Hi devildoc, thanks for stopping by,,
I haven't really got in depth regarding the predicted, probability based future of foreign medical graduates planning to get residency in the U.S because I'm not restricting myself to the U.S or Dubai only (Ofcourse as anybody else would hope to get there, but there still are some other alternatives that I've got if things didn't go throu well)
The only better residency scenarios that I could think of suitable for me are the better western-eu medical schools since they are eu and provide a relatively slightly higher quality education.
However I opted for serbia because I can save time and starting my studies instead of trying to get to those better med schools for i donno how longer...
I'm also aware Serbia is not currently in the EU yet but i heard that it now officially has Bologna process approval, although I am not sure whether that makes their degree automatically accepted in the EU (it does have a future anyway since serbia is a eu-candidate country) and I'm thinking like if I found out that it does't worth studying there after I've already begun, I believe i can transfer to somewhere better (like croatia).

My other choice would be to wait another year, work harder, and try for a better place, but would that be worth it?

devildoc8404
07-13-2013, 08:39 AM
International transfer is not as easy or automatic as people seem to think. It totally depends on the country. Find out about this detail first, before you make your decision. It would suck to complete the year in a miserable place, and then have to complete that academic year all over again in a new university. (Which happens... A LOT.)

Bologna process approval is nice, but it does not guarantee anything for the EU. The process for entry into the EU can take a long time. Croatia took about 5 years longer than I was being told when I first applied to school there.

Finally, W-EU does not offer a "relatively slightly higher quality education." In many cases, the difference is stark and significant. Having studied in E-EU and now working at a university hospital (where we train W-EU medical students), I can tell you that there is a huge difference. Can you become a good doc out of the E-EU? Of course you can. But it is MUCH harder, and requires a TON more effort in the long run. Just be aware of that.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.