PDA

View Full Version : SMU vs MUA vs UMHS

dockan
06-11-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm new here, and I'm sure this has been posted a few times, but hopefully someone can help me out. I got into all 3 schools, still waiting to here back from AUA. From what I've gathered so far, I've heard extremely mixed reviews. MUA mirrors Saba and people are saying it should receive CA approval soon. Is this true? I've also heard St. Matthew's lost it's Cali approval? I'm not sure what happened there, if anyone is able to explain it to me. Last, I know UMHS hasn't been accredited by anyone yet, but multiple people have told me that it is up and coming and could eventually enter the big 4. Does anyone have thoughts to this?

Thank you.

EQUALITY
06-11-2013, 09:36 PM
I'm new here, and I'm sure this has been posted a few times, but hopefully someone can help me out. I got into all 3 schools, still waiting to here back from AUA. From what I've gathered so far, I've heard extremely mixed reviews. MUA mirrors Saba and people are saying it should receive CA approval soon. Is this true? I've also heard St. Matthew's lost it's Cali approval? I'm not sure what happened there, if anyone is able to explain it to me. Last, I know UMHS hasn't been accredited by anyone yet, but multiple people have told me that it is up and coming and could eventually enter the big 4. Does anyone have thoughts to this?

Thank you.

Hello: Congratulations on your acceptance to medical school. First and foremost St. Matthews university, MUA, and Saba are owned by the same company called R3. Saba has all states that are needed approval. MUA just has New York. St. Matthews has New York, and Florida. The latter is important as you can do all clinical rotations in these two states which you can't do with MUA. Yes the big draw back with SMU is that it is on California's disapproval list. Hopefully this will change in the future but based on the school they are focusing their resources on being approved for federal loans first and then reapply for California. I say go to SMU over MUA as it is more recognized by hospitals, around longer since 1997, and is on the most developed islands that any Caribbean school is on. This is important if you are from the USA. It makes it easy to assimilate. Another plus is that st. Matthews also has a vet school that has developed a stellar reputation in the states and just brings good publicity to the medical school as well. The school housing at st. Matthews is probably the nicest around as well. In sum I like st. Matthews. However if you get into AUA go there

rokshana
06-11-2013, 10:11 PM
smu has been cali disapproved for almost 10 years...can't imagine that its gonna change anytime soon.

beachfan112
06-12-2013, 02:40 AM
Don't go to SMU or MUA, students are transferring out by the boatload due to increasing corruption. I say wait for AUA, its the best one. If not, go to UMHS. UMHS and AUA both have money, a school that has money won't mess with student's futures just to squeeze extra dollars out of them. SMU and MUA, on the other hand, have had steadily decreasing enrollment, no doubt due to the bad reputation they are developing for not keeping the student's best interests.

docblin
06-12-2013, 08:48 AM
Based upon the three accepted schools. For best chance of residency it is SMU. Best 2 years on an island close to US it is SMU. Better clinical rotations with more availability in NY, Fl, Il, MD it is SMU. BUT if concerned about Cali than NONE of your schools are acceptable. Wait for AUA or apply to St G, Ross, AUC, SABA, AUA (as you state you have). Better yet apply for DO in states since all residencies will be combined before you finish school. The game plan is obtaining a residency!

dailybasis28
07-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Sorry read next post...

dailybasis28
07-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Dont go to SMU. This place is pure corruption. Im still surprised this place is up and running. The tropical paradise island is not what people make it out to be. Crime has gone up drastically in that place. Transportation is awful. This place is also expensive but all of the islands are. Not to mention that the culture and the atmosphere at SMU is very negative. You have so many students telling so and so cant do it and actually wishing for you to fail. The faculty is nice and helpful to students but Dr. B, who is a prof for Behav Sciences and is also Dean of student affairs, is just plain nasty and has no remorse for ruining the careers and lives of aspiring students. She clearly has no backbone and is one of the most dishonest people I have ever met in my life. Not to mention this school is only approved in 35 out of 50 states. Even then of those 35 states, 5-7 of them are on the brink and SMU is basically hanging by a thread to maintain their accreditation. This school lies to their students about so many things and are constantly changing rules and curriculum basically every semester. This school lost UK approval but reluctantly got it back. When it happened, it was a secret for several months as the Deans kept their mouth shut but the truth was going to eventually surface so they had to tell the school. I remember the day we found out I saw a ton of UK students in line at the Dean's office the next day...such a shameful event. I know plenty of students who left SMU but all went on to pass Step 1 first try and are doing just fine.

SMU never had accreditation from Cali and they probably never will. If SMU did get Cali, hell would freeze over:roll::roll: This school simply shot themselves in the foot by applying way to early back in 2005. They simply got trigger happy and arrogant sinc they got NY approval and think all will be well. Boy they were wrong. And about Federal Loans, quite honestly I dont see that happening either. To get Federal loans, the school has to approved in 50 states which isnt the case about SMU so dont bank on that either. If you are a Canadian student then this school may not be an obstacle as far as paying for it as I remember plenty of Canadian students getting loans to go to SMU.

Looking back on it you want to go to a school that wont give you a hard time trying to get through basic sciences. You simply want to go to a school that will allow you to get through so you can sit tdown to study for Step 1. In all honesty, you will not learn jack regardless of which Carib school you go to. You will hear all these pansies in SMU saying "If you dont go to SMU or such and such school, you will fail Step 1"....WRONG. No school is going to spoonfeed you info to study for Step 1 or any of the Steps. That is all on you. If you study the right way for this and work hard at this board exam, it is doable.

Like one of the posters above said that r3 schools are simply out to suck up people's money...he or she is totally right. UMHS I heard is not a bad option as they might get 50 states approval soon. This school and its owner know what they are doing. Same owner of Ross is same owner of UMHS. Otherwise you can wait out and maybe take the MCAT to see if SGU, Ross, AUC, AUA are viable options. But if you want to move on and get things over with then go straight to UMHS.

I am not trying to start anything here but I wont be surprised to see any stuck up LOYAL SMU kids try to fight me on here...

kishkash186
07-19-2013, 01:17 AM
jeez.... are you still on here bad mouthing this school??

dailybasis28
07-23-2013, 12:52 PM
jeez.... are you still on here bad mouthing this school??

jeez...are you still tracking every little move i do on valuemd. SMU police at it again. The last time I posted anything on valuemd was more than a year ago before this. How is that psychiatry residency at Syracuse going for you that you lied about to or sitting at home taking out your frustations at others? Didnt find anyone from SMU that goes to Syracuse psychiatry. Seriously get off me...

kishkash186
07-27-2013, 11:39 PM
jeez...are you still tracking every little move i do on valuemd. SMU police at it again. The last time I posted anything on valuemd was more than a year ago before this. How is that psychiatry residency at Syracuse going for you that you lied about to or sitting at home taking out your frustations at others? Didnt find anyone from SMU that goes to Syracuse psychiatry. Seriously get off me...The match list has one person going to SUNY upstate for psychiatry, so I'm not sure what your point is.You need to maybe learn how to find things online it might help you in your future career.Oh and just in case you start crying and whining saying that the SMU match list is false, here's the same person on the SUNY upstate newsletter.http://www.upstate.edu/gme/pdf/resident_report_fall2011.pdfWhy did you come back to post after a whole year off?

dailybasis28
07-29-2013, 03:10 AM
Good for you 'Bil, hold that torch high for SMU and 'Cuse :neutral: Maybe you should tell the program to list you on one of the main pages: (Meet Our Residents | Psychiatry | SUNY Upstate Medical University (http://www.upstate.edu/psych/education/residency/residents.php)) so we can all be clear on who you are and what you do. Pat yourself on the back, for real. Why I replied over a year later doesnt concern you just like I can be asking why you happened to reply the very moment I post something. Maybe youre obsessed with trying to take someone down on a forum that you never met or seen personally or perhaps you have time on your hands in Residency to do work and waste your time on forums. People are going to share opinions and give feedback, good or bad, about SMU or anything else on valuemd so just deal with it.

dailybasis28
07-29-2013, 03:20 AM
And its not bashing 'Bil its giving people advice so they can make the best choice possible. I know I cant stop anyone and everyone from going to SMU, but perhaps its a way of me trying to help people out so they dont make a faulty decision like I did. Besides you went to SMU on the island several years back, so dont take it personally if others have things to say which may anger you. Things have changed quite a bit since you last went there. Read my earlier posts in this very thread and even some of the other threads as I gave constructive criticism and pros/cons. Applying to UMHS, waiting out and taking MCAT to go to other schools, restaurants and stores available on Cayman, helpful profs at SMU, etc. I have mentioned these things. You can stop me or try to rise to the occasion if I have something to say, but you would have to stop everyone else that may not have something desirable to stay just to make ends meet. Considering you have done a background check on all the posts I have put up on ValueMd, maybe you should learn to read things carefully as it might help you in your career too.

Your behavior draws some similarities of a Psychiatric patient. Perhaps the doc you should admit himself as a patient in the 'Cuse Psychiatry dept.:crazy: Sending me creepy messages about where I am and how you miss me. You are quite the novel student or future physician we all look up to.

kishkash186
07-29-2013, 10:16 AM
I actually do know who you are quite well. We hung out a bunch at Treasure Island.

kishkash186
07-29-2013, 10:21 AM
And by the way I didn't match at Syracuse, I just wanted to inform you that someone did as due to your retarded research skills you couldn't figure it out.
I just dot believe that what you say about SMU is totally without biase. You've had an agenda from day one and I feel you need to be held to account.
If people want to know what can be done at SMU and talk to someone who matched to a decent program PM me.

dailybasis28
07-29-2013, 11:42 AM
http://www.valuemd.com/st-matthews-university-school-medicine/224383-smu-grad-updates-2.html#post1446903

Get your story straight. You said yourself you matched in psychiatry with double 99s. The link above says so. Then you say its someone else. Talk about having inconsistencies in a story. Mistakingly I admit I only looked at the 2012 match list on SMUs official site and even searched Syracuse Psychiatry program, in which I even did a page search to end up not finding anyone from St. Matthews that is in the program. Dont be upset that you are being called out and exposed for lying. Whether you are 'Bil or not, you cant seem to get your story straight either way. My guess is that you are not 'Bil and just pretending to be him, so I will go with my first guess and assume you were that loser sitting at home taking your frustrations out on valuemd.

dailybasis28
07-29-2013, 11:50 AM
I actually do know who you are quite well. We hung out a bunch at Treasure Island.

You clearly dont know who I am. You said that you matched in residency. If you matched nto a residency, then you probably never even met me or hung out with me at TI. I came to SMU in Sept 2010 so since that is the case, you would have been in clinicals by then if you claimed you matched. LOL seriously dont try to scare me, Im in such disbelief that you happen to be all over the place in all your postings. Im sitting here thinking how much of a fool you are making out of yourself on this forum. Just stop while you are ahead and walk the other way loser:lolup:

Untel
07-29-2013, 12:02 PM
And by the way I didn't match at Syracuse, I just wanted to inform you that someone did as due to your retarded research skills you couldn't figure it out.
I just dot believe that what you say about SMU is totally without biase. You've had an agenda from day one and I feel you need to be held to account.
If people want to know what can be done at SMU and talk to someone who matched to a decent program PM me.

Humm... Why is that so important to you?

dailybasis28
07-29-2013, 12:03 PM

Yup I was right when I referred to you as the SMU police lol.

Whether I came on here with an agenda or not, that clearly doesnt concern you. Although I did offer some good feeback about SMU and what it has to offer, Im not going to front in saying that I dislike SMU. If I choose to come on here to talk about SMU in a positive or negative light, I will continue to do so as long as I am not violating any of the rules that has been laid for this forum. If that is the case, then you cant stop me or try to hold me accountable as you say. Like I mentioned before, people are always going to come on to Valuemd to not say something nice and you would simply have to stop each of those people to make ends meet, so deal with it. Many people who come on here come here for different reasons and different motives, so dont get your panties in a bunch trying to stop people may try to bring SMU down.

If I stop posting or decide to keep posting, I surely will as you cant stop me either way.

dailybasis28
07-29-2013, 12:13 PM
Because Untel, this person is truly an idiot and a mockery at all levels in life. He/she clearly doesnt have anything better to do. If you havent noticed from Kishkash prior posts, he/she gets butthurt way to easily when someone shares an opinion about SMU.

I have decided starting now not to waste time with this lowlife Kishkash as I have just exposed this person of lying. Rather should I say Kishkash exposed his or herself and I simply came along to point it out? This person is going to continue to be hard headed, worthless, and sensitive. Kishkash go bang your head on a wall lol.

Yo Kishkash...I win;)

Crispy
07-29-2013, 10:24 PM
There are other states that SMU cannot get license. SMU grads can do residency in TN but cannot get a license after residency. Some grads are not aware of this until they end up in residency here.

dailybasis28
08-03-2013, 12:57 AM
There are other states that SMU cannot get license. SMU grads can do residency in TN but cannot get a license after residency. Some grads are not aware of this until they end up in residency here.

That's a very good point. This is something for anyone applying to Carib schools to look into, state by state per school.

kishkash186
08-03-2013, 09:23 PM
If you want to go to Cali then don't go to SMU. The big four are always the best choice but if after all that you want to study on a pretty well developed island and do your clinical years in the UK then it's pretty good.
I wanted intitially to do my residency in the UK so for me SMUs reputation in the US did not matter that much. It was only when I decided to apply to the US that I think that all things being equal residency directors would pick SGU or Ross over SMU only because there are more familiar with those schools.
Just remember however your board scores get you the interview and what you do after that get you a match. I saw a lot of SGU or American grads on the interview trail who were pretty much at the same level as I was.
It can be done at SMU, just get good board scores.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.