PDA

View Full Version : Recently decided that I'm going to medical school, HELP!

Canadian3.19GPA
06-08-2013, 12:54 PM
I have a 3.2 out of 4 GPA, but in the past two years I've been doing really well. I live in Halifax, NS, Canada and my best shot would be to be accepted in to Dalhousie Medical School, which has pretty high standards. What do you guys think is my best course of action? Go to Caribbean or European Medical Schools?

devildoc8404
06-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Based on the current admissions numbers for Canadian medical schools, a 3.2 is simply not competitive.

Going overseas is a very tough path if you want to come back to Canada for residency. A few people do it each year, but it is far from automatic and there exists a high probability of not being able to get a position... even as a Canadian national. If you are willing to consider residency training in the US and then returning to Canada thereafter, then that is a potential option, as well. However, although many Canucks have done so, this path is also fraught with significant uncertainty. Read the projections for the US Match of foreign medical grads after 2016 and see if you think you will be able to make that cut.

Both the Carib and Europe have some decent options for overseas medical school, depending largely on your own abilities, where you want to work as a physician, and your professional goals. There just is no one single answer for every applicant.

umz_786
06-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Im studying with 2 Canadians in Iasi in Romania. Both are dentists. One of them came here because its cheaper and the other came here because hell get his degree in 6 years whereas in North America it would have been more like 8 or 9 years. I dont know much about how the Canadian system works but according to one of these guys, you can go back and work in Canada without much problems.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.