PDA

View Full Version : Pharmacology of Effexor XR?

WiseMaster
06-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Hey I have both fibromyalgia and depression.

I have been on SSRI's (Lexapro, Lovan, Valdoxan) for depression

When I tried Effexor XR (an SNRI) for depression, my fibromyalgia syptoms amazingly dissapeared :eek: but the pain relief only lasted a few days

So i thought... hmm my fibromyalgia must have something to do with the neurotransmitter noradrenaline?

So next I tried Cymbalta (Also an SNRI, has a higher affinity for Noradrenaline) , but it didnt help my fibromyalgia at all :(

So my question is, what is the pharmacology of Effexor when increasing the dose? what receptors does it initially bind to??

The only other thing that helps my pain is cannabidiol (CBD), which is found in cannabis, but its a bit of a risk as i had a psychotic epidsode from smoking cannabis because it had too much THC :(

please help... im thinking of trying the SNRI savella next, which affects the noradrenaline receptors 90 times more than the effexor serotonin:noradrenaline ratio

WiseMaster
06-02-2013, 12:39 AM
Alright, Can anyone confirm this? - after doing some research, apparently Effexor has some very very veryyy weak opiate properties... which explains why I only had relief for a couple of days - I built up a tolerance to it.

So now im going to try some codeine, and maybe tramadol which is an SNRI with stronger opiate properties

wish me luck

WiseMaster
06-05-2013, 03:37 AM
I tried a codiene.... did nothing.

So did even more research (lol) and I remember that seroquel actually helped my muscles to relax and provide relief (much like effexor)

So the thing they both have in common is they both affect the Adrenergic Alpha receptors (as an antagonist)

More research, the adrenergic receptors are related to heart rate, muscle contraction and blood vessel dilation/constriction. All of which fit with my symptoms - resting heart rate 100bpm, muscles always tight/contracted, and lack of blood flow.

I also used to wet the bed a lot as a kid, and had problems with my digestive system, and also had asthma - all of which are related to the adrenergic system.

Search on wikipedia for more info:
Adrenergic Receptors
Vascular Smooth Muscle

Well, im off to see my GP... im trying to think of what kind of doctor can treat my condition??

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.