PDA

View Full Version : Dismissed from big 4, what to do next + residency

Andrew1234
05-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Hi y'all,
So I was academically dismissed from one of the big 4 in the Caribbean (failed max classes). I had a few questions as to what I should do next.

I was considering applying to another caribbean school and transferring my credits--however I was wondering how this would affect my residency chances having the academic dismissal on my record.

Another option I was considering was retaking the MCAT and do an SMP starting this fall, and applying for DO for the fall of 2014--but not sure if I should tell or not tell DO schools about my history in the caribbean. Any thoughts on this? If I do tell them, will they automatically reject me?

A third option I was thinking about was applying for PA school or Podiatry school as last option as I am not getting any younger and don't want to lose too much more time if none of the above options are worth pursuing. Any thoughts on this as well?

benevolo
05-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Hi y'all,
So I was academically dismissed from one of the big 4 in the Caribbean (failed max classes). I had a few questions as to what I should do next.

I was considering applying to another caribbean school and transferring my credits--however I was wondering how this would affect my residency chances having the academic dismissal on my record.

Another option I was considering was retaking the MCAT and do an SMP starting this fall, and applying for DO for the fall of 2014--but not sure if I should tell or not tell DO schools about my history in the caribbean. Any thoughts on this? If I do tell them, will they automatically reject me?

A third option I was thinking about was applying for PA school or Podiatry school as last option as I am not getting any younger and don't want to lose too much more time if none of the above options are worth pursuing. Any thoughts on this as well?
I'd probably just cut your losses and focus on the US. It's going to be a tough match even for a student who hasn't been expelled and studied at multiple Caribbean schools. Look at DO school and if that doesn't work, then dentistry, physio, paramedic or nursing work etc. Lots of other good fields out there. Just my opinion though, hopefully other people will provide some advice besides me.

darkmansaad
05-15-2013, 05:00 PM
I'd probably just cut your losses and focus on the US. It's going to be a tough match even for a student who hasn't been expelled and studied at multiple Caribbean schools. Look at DO school and if that doesn't work, then dentistry, physio, paramedic or nursing work etc. Lots of other good fields out there. Just my opinion though, hopefully other people will provide some advice besides me.

Benevolo is spot on. If you're having trouble academically adjusting to a caribbean school, Step 1 and Step 2 wont get easier. I would look at DO, PA, Nursing, other ancillary healthcare fields. Anesthesia Assistant (AA) is a new emerging option as well. Tons of good fields in healthcare, physician is not the end all; and some even advise against it. One caveat is that I wouldn't focus on dentistry; its almost tougher to get into dental school than medical school. I truly wish you the best and don't mean to tell you to give up hope; other than that its a lot of money and its a lot of time (more importantly time) to fight for something it appears may not work out. Cheers.

seattle
06-19-2013, 08:43 PM
I agree with what has been said here. Do not give up hope but plan carefully in that you should assess honestly if you can handle the academic rigor of medical school. If you decide to pursue the D.O. option, I would again consider your ability to handle the rigor. The D.O. option is not academically easy. As others have stated there are some very good options PA, CRNA, etc. In terms of your question of matching - I have a friend who was released from a U.S. medical school, then attended Saba, was released from Saba (both incidences were non-academic related but more stress related). Finally, this individual finished up at AUA and matched. So, that tells you something.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.