PDA

View Full Version : Which of These Universities Have Entrance Examinations?

`aceclutch
05-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Could someone please elaborate on which of the following universities have entrance examinations, and which ones don't?

1 - Warsaw
2 - Lodz
3 - Wroclaw
4 - Silesia

I keep getting conflicting information on these universities. Some agents claim that although the websites state that an entrance examination is required, in practice this is not the case.

Unfortunately this is a sticking point for me, since I'm not willing to fly back and forth to Poland at every examination date. It's simply not affordable for me.

Thanks for the help in advance.

duzzy
05-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Where are you applying from? All universities in Poland have an entrance exam now. I guess it can be omitted under the right circumstances. I'm almost sure that won't be the case for Warsaw, though. They get a ton of applications. The best way is to call the office directly and speak with somebody from the admissions office. They will be able to tell you the most up-to-date information. I know that Gdansk has an entrance exam for sure and there is no way around it. However, there are different locations where you can take the exam so people don't have to fly back and forth. Maybe the other schools have something similar. Just give them a call!

`aceclutch
05-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I'm applying from Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Truth be told, it's not just an issue of affordability, but also having to go hopping around from one city to the next to attend examinations in the land of the unknown. I have to admit I find this procedure strange and somewhat ridiculous. I understand that they want to standardize the admission criteria but installing a system where one could undertake the examination at the closest embassy would be much more convenient to applicants.

I've made an attempt at calling the universities, but many seem to be incapable of speaking basic English. I have "certified" agents which are charging me a ton, but each providing me with different information. I thought to myself, "who better to ask than the students themselves". I hope this is no inconvenience.

When you say omitted, does this mean they would not require the entrance examination at all for admission?

This forum has been somewhat of a godsend. I've managed to dig up a fortune of information on select universities. However, there is a lack of information on Wroclaw and Silesia. Do you have any bits and pieces of information which you could share with me in regards to these universities?

Also I keep hearing about CMB approval in around these parts. I have a decent understanding of the fundamentals of it. Why is it so important however?

Another question is, are inter-university transfers allowed within different medical schools in Poland? Is the protocol difficult?

Also when you say "all universities have an entrance examination", are you completely certain? I've spoken to the Lodz admission office and all they require is a Skype interview.

Thanks again.

duzzy
05-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Yes, there are schools like that. I know Szczecin doesn't always go according to their admissions because my friend goes there and didn't have to take any test. There is no way to get around it if you want to go to Warsaw, UJ, Gdansk, and Poznan. These schools get a ton of applicants and use the entrance exam as a way to weed out people who won't cut it. I have never heard anything about Wroclaw from students so unfortunately I can't help you there. However, what I can tell you is that I never heard anything bad about it either (in Poland bad news spreads much faster than good news) and it's also located in one of the most beautiful cities in Poland. A few schools in Poland have English programs that are CMB approved. I think they are Jagiellonian, Poznan, Lublin, and Silesia. That shouldn't be a major point in your decision, though. California is the place everybody wants to end up so they have enough domestic graduates to fill residency spots. Transferring in Poland is a little tricky. Some schools take transfers and others don't. Some say they don't but will under the right circumstances. This is something the employees at the school can't even tell you. According to Warsaw's website you can transfer. That's the only school that I know of that says that it allows transfers.

Just try your best for Warsaw and Wroclaw if your only choices are the 4 schools you listed. Also look into Gdansk if you're open for more choices. I would say try UJ but I think it's too late for this year.

`aceclutch
05-08-2013, 06:42 AM
Thanks a ton for the information you've provided me.

If anyone else has any information regarding entrance examinations please feel free to share.

Also, does anyone know what kind of credentials lodz has? New york? CMB?

Cheers.

The-Foreigner
05-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Wroclaw doesn't have an entrance exam (At least they didn't last year).
Good university, in a beautiful and eventful city. I like it here ;)
As for transfers, I'd think that the university does accept transfers from other universities in the country, at least I understand that as being the case among Polish students. But you'd need to double check the procedure on that with the ED office.

olgalagaga
05-23-2013, 01:57 PM
If you are looking at 4 year programs offered in Poland, I believe that a Bachelor's degree and MCAT score will suffice. Most of the 6 year programs, however, do require some sort of examination.
My friend just did his interview for medical school at Lodz and was told by the interviewer that he did very well and will be accepted to begin in the fall. He studied a lot for his interview but said that he believes he over-studied because the questions asked during the interview were few and pretty easy.
Many of the websites give a list of topics or practice problems to help applicants prepare.

medice
05-23-2013, 03:05 PM
That's because Lodz is one of the worst places in Poland. That school, with its poor reputation will do anything to get people. I went to visit the city, and the campus and OMG it is so bad. I would rather prepare, do an exam, and get into a school that looks attractive and decent.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.