PDA

View Full Version : 2013 match list

olek
05-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Interesting match list this year. Although it is disappointing to see no EM matches, and a scarcer number of surgery and anesthesiology spots, the Canadian matches are remaining strong year after year and comparably greater in number than most other Caribbean schools! Good job, Saba! :clapover:

payme2
05-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Have you noticed that the match lists is one less page compared to 2012? And there are smaller % of subspecialties. Seems like Family Medicine is either getting more popular or everything else is getting harder to match.

Not to be a downer, but I feel like Saba's match this year is shockingly different than previous years. But St. George and Ross's match lists hasn't significantly changed. Any thoughts?

payme2
05-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Interesting match list this year. Although it is disappointing to see no EM matches, and a scarcer number of surgery and anesthesiology spots, the Canadian matches are remaining strong year after year and comparably greater in number than most other Caribbean schools! Good job, Saba! :clapover:

The SLoR is a real bottleneck. I found out how difficult it was setting up electives. More people would apply to EM if we were able to find electives.

darkmansaad
05-09-2013, 06:54 AM
can you post the list on here or the link to it? I'm curious as I've had a few theories regarding IMG competitiveness for a few years and want to see how they are panning out.

BTW EM is very competitive nowadays. I would say its almost a top 5 specialty when it comes to the number of and competitive level of applicants.

axiomofchoice
05-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Knowing some of the strongest applicants in this class, many of them actively pursued FM and IM.

Match list is on the saba website.

http://www.saba.edu/saba/images/Forms/2013_Saba%20Residency.pdf

ER is difficult only due to the high number of applicants who seek to have low number of work hours where responsibility ends with your shift, and with relatively high salary. It has easily passed Anesthesia, and likely even Radiology, but its well outside the top 5.

medic300107
05-09-2013, 12:17 PM
The SLoR is a real bottleneck. I found out how difficult it was setting up electives. More people would apply to EM if we were able to find electives.

A large problem is many places with EM programs don't allow IMGs to rotate. LCME and AOA only :( That being said there are still some hold outs in NYC and the mid-west that are more IMG friendly for rotations if you can get a spot. Additionally, the scheduling of Caribbean schools puts many people finishing cores later than July, this takes the prime months of july, aug, sept out from doing EM electives. Most places (all as far as I know) require all cores completed before doing an EM elective. If anyone has ? about matching EM let me know it is definitely more competitive than in the past, there were fewer unmatched EM spots than Rads, Anesth, and Derm this year. Also this number is misleading (3 open positions) because 2 of those were reserved for Saudi Arabian doctors and were a seperate program code than the regular match spots (SA pays programs to hold a certain # of spots for them) and 3rd open position was for a program that was approved after ROL deadline and didn't go through the match but pre-matched all applicants except 1 and they quickly SOAPed that one. Ortho, ENT, Nuerosurg, CT Surg, Vasc Surg all obviously more difficult than EM to get into but it seems Rads, Anesth are below EM in competitiveness now and days.

darkmansaad
05-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Yeah EM is pretty tough. This list is weak as heck though. No categorical surg, EM, and the anesthesia spots were in very unfavorable location/FMG heavy programs. If you don't care about that stuff whatever. Btw when I say unfavorable I mean uncompetitive location as in not metro areas. Metro areas tend to be competitive no matter the specialty so if you're open to the south or midwest I think you'll have an easier chance at finding a spot no matter what. But even if the applicants were competitive as a whole I dont see alot of big names or big city areas that could support that. I really think IMGs are going to have a much harder time as of now especially now that prematching is almost gone and we are competing with larger and larger american grad classes. Not to mention hospital closures around the country. Meh.
I dont say this to be discouraging but just so you know the situation at hand. Acing board exams, going the extra mile in clinical rotations, getting great letters of rec and making connections actively should be the modus operandi of a caribbean med student. And even then you might need some luck.

benevolo
05-13-2013, 11:39 AM
Yeah EM is pretty tough. This list is weak as heck though. No categorical surg, EM, and the anesthesia spots were in very unfavorable location/FMG heavy programs. If you don't care about that stuff whatever. Btw when I say unfavorable I mean uncompetitive location as in not metro areas. Metro areas tend to be competitive no matter the specialty so if you're open to the south or midwest I think you'll have an easier chance at finding a spot no matter what. But even if the applicants were competitive as a whole I dont see alot of big names or big city areas that could support that. I really think IMGs are going to have a much harder time as of now especially now that prematching is almost gone and we are competing with larger and larger american grad classes. Not to mention hospital closures around the country. Meh.
I dont say this to be discouraging but just so you know the situation at hand. Acing board exams, going the extra mile in clinical rotations, getting great letters of rec and making connections actively should be the modus operandi of a caribbean med student. And even then you might need some luck.
The students this year were as competitive as any year, if not more. We had a few people who scored >270 on the steps and plenty >260. It's just getting a lot more difficult to match. Part of it is just the sheer number of applications that programs are getting now. They just don't have the time to review a lot of people's apps, especially if they're IMG or foreign/visa requiring.

olek
05-26-2013, 07:09 PM
if you're open to the south or midwest

Hmmm... My impression is that the south is less IMG friendly than the midwest and definately less friendly than the north. You can see it from the list. For the most part, the matches that we do have in the south are at medical centers where Saba students have been known at (with a few exceptions), but it definately seems harder to get your foot in the door in the south if nobody has seen you before. Just my $0.02.

olek
05-26-2013, 07:22 PM
Have you noticed that the match lists is one less page compared to 2012? And there are smaller % of subspecialties. Seems like Family Medicine is either getting more popular or everything else is getting harder to match.

Not to be a downer, but I feel like Saba's match this year is shockingly different than previous years. But St. George and Ross's match lists hasn't significantly changed. Any thoughts?

Ross and SGU's matches are very impressive. No argument there Big name inner city medical centers, many subspecialty matches, matches into competitive specialties. However, the fact that graduating classes of those schools are 5-7 times the size of Saba, makes it hard to compare the two. I think Dr. K's overly ambitious statisitcal analysis that he did after every physio test would be appropriate here. :)

darkmansaad
06-29-2013, 04:55 PM
I had another interesting thought regarding this match list. I noticed with time that more and more Canadian students were joining Saba...as in there were more Canadians than American students. My theory on this which I to this day have never seen an exception to was that most Canadians entering Saba were much more highly qualified than Americans...I know its EXTREMELY hard in Canada to get into med school...most of the canucks in my class had 3.9 or 3.99 gpa's and still had to go the caribbean route; I also didn't see one dropout from my class who was Canadian. Again, extremely subjective viewpoint but if more and more qualified canadian grads applied to Saba I only see their numbers rising. Thus the amount of grads applying who NEED VISAS is probably higher. Which means, less competitive matches. Just a theory, I agree that the students are way more competitive than the 4 years ago when I left Saba so I'm trying to reconcile it.

But regardless end of the day the golden IMG advice of doing as well as humanly possible always holds water. Probably more so than ever before. Personally I foresee a day in the future where only the top 10% of all IMGs match. Lets hope I'm wrong.

Ross and SGU's matches are very impressive. No argument there Big name inner city medical centers, many subspecialty matches, matches into competitive specialties. However, the fact that graduating classes of those schools are 5-7 times the size of Saba, makes it hard to compare the two. I think Dr. K's overly ambitious statisitcal analysis that he did after every physio test would be appropriate here. :)

ElysionField
08-08-2013, 01:56 AM
I had another interesting thought regarding this match list. I noticed with time that more and more Canadian students were joining Saba...as in there were more Canadians than American students. My theory on this which I to this day have never seen an exception to was that most Canadians entering Saba were much more highly qualified than Americans...I know its EXTREMELY hard in Canada to get into med school...most of the canucks in my class had 3.9 or 3.99 gpa's and still had to go the caribbean route; I also didn't see one dropout from my class who was Canadian. Again, extremely subjective viewpoint but if more and more qualified canadian grads applied to Saba I only see their numbers rising. Thus the amount of grads applying who NEED VISAS is probably higher. Which means, less competitive matches. Just a theory, I agree that the students are way more competitive than the 4 years ago when I left Saba so I'm trying to reconcile it.

But regardless end of the day the golden IMG advice of doing as well as humanly possible always holds water. Probably more so than ever before. Personally I foresee a day in the future where only the top 10% of all IMGs match. Lets hope I'm wrong.

According to Saba, they have 94% match rate in 2013.
saba.edu/saba/index.php/program-integrity]Program Integrity

Farantino
03-29-2014, 08:00 PM

I find that very hard to believe.

medic300107
03-30-2014, 08:35 AM

sadly no...Canadian Medical Schools are notoriously difficult to get into.

devildoc8404
03-30-2014, 11:13 AM
Read up. It's the absolute truth.

axiomofchoice
03-30-2014, 01:31 PM
There are certainly canadian students at SABA with strong stats. I think saying "most" is somewhat of an exaggeration

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.