PDA

View Full Version : USMLE date and match

Lancelot
04-29-2013, 11:20 AM
I finished my 5th semester in Sep 2012. I was told I have 1 year from that date to submit a passing USMLE Step 1 score. Is there a deadline where I have to take Step1 by to ensure that I don't miss the 2015 match? I can't get a straight answer from the AUA admin; i.e., the ones I have contacted don't know (surprise, surprise). Rumors are floating around my class that the "deadline" is July 30. Can someone who's farther into the process give some insight? Thanks.

mrpark01
04-29-2013, 05:33 PM
passing step1 is required to start clinicals..
and there is a deadline for when you need to finish clinicals by (re: ECFMG certification/graduating) in order to match..
the quicker you pass step1, the quicker you'll have the opportunity to start clinicals (and thus, at least in theory, the quicker you'll finish clinicals)

JustTryingToHelp
04-29-2013, 11:49 PM
AUA sends out a residency package to everyone who they think might match the following year.

The package says that if you started clinical rotations after the first week of October, they won't let you match. It also says that if you have not completed at least 30 weeks of rotations by April 30th of the previous year, they will not let you match. These end up being the same dates actually. April 30th, 2015 minus 30 weeks is October 2nd, 2014.

AUA also says that you must finish all clinical rotations by April 30th of your matching year or else you have to tell every interviewer that you may not finish your clinical rotations on time. I'm not sure whether they are trying to help us out or whether that's actually a mandatory rule. Because residency doesn't start until June/July typically.

There are 75 weeks of rotations total. I don't know how many AUA 5th semester counts as. I think 6? Or maybe 12. I keep hearing different numbers. So that's about 44 weeks of cores and maybe 25 weeks of electives.

July 30th sounds like an ok deadline date. It takes 3 weeks for you to get your score back, so that would be about August 21st. Then you have to make sure you send the score right away and to the right person. AUA only credentials you for rotations on the 15th and the 30th of each month. If you read and understood the clinical document requirements perfectly and got all your tests and documents done properly (which isn't the case for a lot of people. because it's tricky sometimes.) then you will be credentialed on August 30th.

From that point, AUA has 30 days to place you before you miss 2015 match. I've heard some people get their first rotation in less than 30 days and I've heard of people who had to wait much longer.

In order to rotate in New York, you have to get your NYSED form filled out and approved. AUA can still place you without the NYSED form at other locations. But most of our IM and FM positions are in New York. AUA likes to start everyone with IM or FM. The NYSED form takes about 6 weeks to get back if I remember correctly.

Another thing you have to think about is taking Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS. To be as competitive as possible, you want both exam results before applications are sent out in the first week of September. It takes 3 weeks to get the Step 2 CK score back and something like 3 months to get the Step 2 CS score back. That means the latest you can take Step 2 CK is first week of August and latest you can take Step 2 CS is first week of June.

If you start rotating in the first week of October, you can take I think 5 weeks gap somewhere to finish rotations by end of April of the following year which means that you will likely have to study for the exams and take them during rotations. It also means you have to be really on the ball about filling in any gaps with electives. Realistically, I think you can finish rotations as late as end of May and still be fine. So you probably have more than that.

I wouldn't worry too much about making 2015 match or missing it if it means rushing Step 1. If you just barely miss 2015 match, it means you can take a bigger break to get a great score on Step 2 CK especially if your Step 1 score isn't where you wanted it to be. It also means you can take the electives that you want instead of the electives that happen to fit your schedule even if it means having a 1 week gap between rotations. You can also take the extra time to do research and volunteer to become a stronger candidate. You can also take off the interview season so you don't have to interview while rotating which can be stressful.

mrpark01
04-30-2013, 09:25 AM
AUA sends out a residency package to everyone who they think might match the following year.

AUA says that you must finish all clinical rotations by April 30th of your matching year or else you have to tell every interviewer that you may not finish your clinical rotations on time. I'm not sure whether they are trying to help us out or whether that's actually a mandatory rule. Because residency doesn't start until June/July typically.

this is AUA's rule. i also have a friend that finishes this friday 5/3, and he matched so i guess there is some wriggle room.

There are 75 weeks of rotations total. I don't know how many AUA 5th semester counts as. I think 6? Or maybe 12. I keep hearing different numbers. So that's about 44 weeks of cores and maybe 25 weeks of electives.
5th semester is not counted towards the 75 weeks of clinicals.

July 30th sounds like an ok deadline date. It takes 3 weeks for you to get your score back, so that would be about August 21st. Then you have to make sure you send the score right away and to the right person. AUA only credentials you for rotations on the 15th and the 30th of each month. If you read and understood the clinical document requirements perfectly and got all your tests and documents done properly (which isn't the case for a lot of people. because it's tricky sometimes.) then you will be credentialed on August 30th.

this is news to me; AUA didn't tell us when credentialing was done, just that it was done on a first come first serve basis. as for step1 score reporting, it takes up to 4 weeks actually, so i would take that into consideration (and as always, check for updates on usmle.org).

I've heard some people get their first rotation in less than 30 days and I've heard of people who had to wait much longer.

i waited a month, but met one person that waited 6 months! ..most of my friends started within a month or two.. but this is back in 2010/2011.

Another thing you have to think about is taking Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS. To be as competitive as possible, you want both exam results before applications are sent out in the first week of September. It takes 3 weeks to get the Step 2 CK score back and something like 3 months to get the Step 2 CS score back. That means the latest you can take Step 2 CK is first week of August and latest you can take Step 2 CS is first week of June.

score reporting for steps 1, 2CK, and 3 take up to 4 weeks.. CS varies. they have a reporting schedule on usmle.org. the nrmp also changed the schedule for when applications for the match starts. it used to be SEPT1st every year but they changed it to SEPT15th (check nrmp.org for updates).

medic300107
04-30-2013, 09:34 AM
1) Ross allows up until May 31st graduation date for residency.
2) Most Caribbean schools the more flexible you are about where you go and moving around the easier scheduling rotations will be.

Not an AUA student but my 2 cents.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.