PDA

View Full Version : FACTS about ATLANTIC UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE

New guy
04-25-2013, 07:34 AM
Tuition is $3800.00 (plus $875 in fees) for the Basic Science program on the island (4 semesters)

the student to cadaver ratio is 6 to 1 and we get new cadavers every semester (dissection fee is $1650.00)

All retake exams are free.

The instructors are excellent, know their stuff, and they have all passed the USMLE.

All exams are reviewed and the instructors will give private tutoring (free) if you need academic help.

Class begin at 8am and end by 3pm giving plenty of time to study.

Any questions?

ladysman
04-25-2013, 08:38 AM
Have been talking to several students at the school. They all sound happy especially with the exam system. I am going to SL to check it out myself and hope to get started in September. Would love to meet you when go.........thanks!

Dr.Costa
04-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Gr8 Post Newguy!..You couldnt have summed it up better!..:)

New guy
04-26-2013, 05:59 AM
Gr8 Post Newguy!..You couldnt have summed it up better!..:)

Thats just the beginning when you consider how close the student body is, the location of the school, the health fairs, and sporting events it should be a no brainer for everyone.

Summer2013
04-26-2013, 07:35 AM
What is your graduation and match rates?

New guy
04-27-2013, 09:04 AM
What is your graduation and match rates?

Our school has informed the student body that everyone who had graduated matched in their first choice. I'm not sure how students graduated, It was either 18 or 28.

ladysman
04-28-2013, 05:19 PM
I am fully intend to go to Atlantic, just have to be sure my budget gets squared so I can focus. Curious, I hear from the students I spoke to that there are a large number of student activities outside the class stuff that actually help with course studies. I would love to talk to people in the government assoc. of the student body and hear about some of these as well as cost of housing and so on. Heck I have heard a lot already from some students home on break but when back on campus, that will be awesome. Looking forward to learning more and more.......(I Hope).

Dr.Costa
04-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Yea Ladysman!...there is definitely different student activities that happen when here on campus!. Different clubs organize different activities every semester, such as Community clinics, health fairs and other extracurricular stuff that is beneficial for all students!..Check out the Atlantic Univ face book page..and see some of the things we have been up to.

Oh well..hope the budget stuff gets sorted out soon....and hopefully see u at AUSOM!

New guy
04-28-2013, 09:58 PM
I agree with Dr.Costa, this program continues to grow, expand, and improve every semester. We have tons of activities from pediatric club to health fairs at the mall. Best of all the academics are top notch and we hear excellent reports regarding 5th semester in the US and clinical rotations from more senior students.

axiomofchoice
04-29-2013, 10:17 AM
2 claims here are questionable.

1) "everyone matched their first choice" - not even the very best US schools can boast that :rolleyes:

2) "Retake exams are free" - Why are there retake exams at all? This isn't middle school.

New guy
05-01-2013, 02:32 PM
2 claims here are questionable.

1) "everyone matched their first choice" - not even the very best US schools can boast that :rolleyes:

2) "Retake exams are free" - Why are there retake exams at all? This isn't middle school.

Ya dude everyone is lying, first let me say we don't have 6 students per cadaver and tuition isn't $3800/semester, and the instructors are all from middle school like you said.

1) We graduated our first class of about 28 and all got their first choice. Compare that to the average US school graduating 400 students.

2) "Retake exams are free" because anyone could be sick, have a bad day, or be dealing with a family crisis. Guess what they offer this in US schools too (not sure about middle school).

I can tell you we as students are all over the admin at AUSOM and they are pretty much to their word. We also maintain contact with students more senior in the program and they are all bragging about their match results. I for one can tell you I am glad to hear about their success, I find it very motivational and it confirms exactly what we are told in the classroom "They want us to be successful".

ladysman
05-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Hey New Guy, I gotta love people who try to make going to grad school even med school equivocal to a punishment. Its amazing as I just read several articles in Jama and NYT how US Schools are evaluating how they educate doctors today. That there needs to be a more humane and REALISTIC approach.....heck maybe we wont have so many law suite if we have better educated doctors......this forum is really somewhat like a supermarket tabloid I am beginning to see. The more I learn the more I can see ..................................

New guy
05-06-2013, 10:16 PM
There is a lot of info out there and I have stopped reading all the crap and just focus on my education. For me nothing matters as much as step 1, this is my entire and only focus. I am taking supplement exams including NBME exams. I am shooting for a 240 on step one and hope to find myself in a surgical residency. With all that being said good luck with your studies, I won't be on campus when you arrive in September but sounds like you will fit in just fine.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.