PDA

View Full Version : Who's sitting the Masryk uni entrance exam on the 18th of May (2013)?

vukmatic
04-14-2013, 04:18 PM
or well who's applying to Masaryk this year? Are you going a day early or just on the day of the exam?

Spoorthy
04-25-2013, 06:39 AM
I'm sitting the exam in June! so nervous...but i'm sitting it in london adn i live in london so i'm fine, where are you sitting it?

vukmatic
04-25-2013, 06:44 AM
Im in Vienna, so Brno is only a short bus trip away! No need to be so nervous, almost nothing is at an A2 level, at least not chemistry wise

sara.a1
04-25-2013, 09:08 AM
i might be sitting this in either London or Malvern, good luck

Krix07
05-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Hey guys, why did you guys choose to apply to this university in particular? Do you feel like it is a good choice above other universities in Europe?

vukmatic
05-03-2013, 12:10 PM
yeah its a good choice, and i ve heard good things about it. Also the campus is pretty new, or at least parts of it are, as is one of the dormitories. Brno is a smaller city it has like 80000 students or something and well thats something i value as it will result in a good atmosphere and social life

vukmatic
05-08-2013, 06:34 AM
anyone know if we get a periodic table along with our chemistry exam or if we can bring one of our own?

sara.a1
05-08-2013, 04:19 PM
periodic table is not allowed in the exam, whether its our own or not. we are allowed a calculator though.
can i ask where you're applying from if you don't mind?

vukmatic
05-08-2013, 05:24 PM
periodic table is not allowed in the exam, whether its our own or not. we are allowed a calculator though.
can i ask where you're applying from if you don't mind?

Damn thats terrible, they dont give enough info on some of the model questions! Of course I don't mind, I am applying from Vienna, Austria, what about you?

sara.a1
05-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Damn thats terrible, they dont give enough info on some of the model questions! Of course I don't mind, I am applying from Vienna, Austria, what about you?
i know they don't, its pretty bad! oh nice, I'm applying from England

vukmatic
05-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Have any of you done the biology model questions? I just got two wrong because they state that protein synthesis takes place in mitochondria and chloroplasts, and that RNA synthesis also happens in mitochondria and chloroplasts, which is clearly wrong. They both occur in the nucleus and then in the cytoplasm on ribosomes. So i am really confused at the moment

sara.a1
05-10-2013, 04:42 PM
i was just looking at that now, i hadn't noticed before but you are right! they have definitely made a mistake on this :confused:
i would stick by what you know and if the options seem incorrect then i would just pick a random one :noidea:
are you doing the math or physics paper?

vukmatic
05-10-2013, 05:08 PM
i was just looking at that now, i hadn't noticed before but you are right! they have definitely made a mistake on this :confused:
i would stick by what you know and if the options seem incorrect then i would just pick a random one :noidea:
are you doing the math or physics paper?

I hope it doesnt come up, otherwise I ll just be super confused! Should I pick the right one or the on they think is right.. haha oh well we ll see happens!
I picked physics, the syllabus is longer, but it should be easier. I'm assuming that the mathematics in the Czech republic will be similar to the math that's done in Serbia (where I'm from) and this math is on a far more advanced level than A-level maths! But this is just an assumption :p Plus physics is easier to cram for. What about you?

sara.a1
05-11-2013, 07:10 PM
I hope it doesnt come up, otherwise I ll just be super confused! Should I pick the right one or the on they think is right.. haha oh well we ll see happens!
I picked physics, the syllabus is longer, but it should be easier. I'm assuming that the mathematics in the Czech republic will be similar to the math that's done in Serbia (where I'm from) and this math is on a far more advanced level than A-level maths! But this is just an assumption :p Plus physics is easier to cram for. What about you?

I know i hope they dont put any of these questions on! also the ones where they assume you know the periodic table by heart.
right okay thats a fair point. i dropped physics at AS and have forgotten most of it so i picked math but its different from what we studied at A-level :oops:

vukmatic
05-12-2013, 03:14 AM
oof yeah only elements from the table that i remember are O C and H xD with the others I ll just have to improvise hahaha

sara.a1
05-12-2013, 02:38 PM
oof yeah only elements from the table that i remember are O C and H xD with the others I ll just have to improvise hahaha

haha yep and nitrogen and chlorine too, apart from those i'll have to improvise too :roll:
do you have any idea on how many students there are in each year or how many are admitted?

vukmatic
05-12-2013, 04:13 PM
i think like 100 or so students no idea! All i know is that you need an average of 60% (65% for dentistry) in all three exams to get admitted!

Krix07
05-13-2013, 11:08 AM
i think like 100 or so students no idea! All i know is that you need an average of 60% (65% for dentistry) in all three exams to get admitted!

So does that mean that we need 60% on each exam or 60% overall in all three exams?

vukmatic
05-13-2013, 11:54 AM
So does that mean that we need 60% on each exam or 60% overall in all three exams?

60% average overall

sara.a1
05-13-2013, 01:43 PM

that should be fine i think! not long before your exam, are you nervous?

vukmatic
05-13-2013, 06:33 PM
nah im pretty confident :D or at least pretending to be hahaha :p when's your exam?

vukmatic
05-15-2013, 07:35 AM
So has anyone done any of the practice tests (not model questions) the ones without the answers? If you have can you post your answers! I m not sure about a bunch of questions!

sara.a1
05-15-2013, 08:58 AM
thats great then :) are you going to the open day? My exams in June 17th in London

gofurther
05-21-2013, 12:30 PM
Hello guys, any good news? Did you pass?

vukmatic
05-22-2013, 04:28 AM
I GOT ACCEPTED :D got the good news today!
Anyone else?

For the people who havent done the test yet, its not that hard as long as you relax and don't panic!

gofurther
05-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Congrats! I did my exam in march, and got accepted too :)

vitorptm
06-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Congratz to all of you who passed the exams. =)
I am currently studying here in Brno. If you any questions I can try to help you guys out.
Měj se hezký =P

umz_786
06-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Hey guys.

Just came across this thread now and read a few responses. Im a British student, from London, whos in third year dentistry at UMF Iasi in Romania. Actually I did a foundation pre-med year at Bradford uni and then I went to do dentistry Czech Republic because I changed my mind. After one year in Czech I transferred to Romania. Reading some of the messages here reminds me of my old self, because I was just as excited lol.

Coming from UK especially, where the pass mark is just 40%, it was a bit of a shock to find that in Czech its 70% (80 for a few subjects!). The place I was in was also really bad - only 100,000 people. It was more like a village. There was nothing to do. But what go all of us the most was the studying. Apart from the pass mark, the doctors also expect you to know *everything* and fail you after 1 or 2 incorrect answers (im not exaggerating). And thats not it - Theres unanimous consensus that Brno is much harder because there you have to pass the written exams before the semester ends and can only do Oral exams (finals) in the extra examination period. Whereas in HK we could delay both until the extra examination period.

I know what you are thinking - you will work hard - but trust me its not enough. In UK (and Romania) If you study you WILL pass. But in Czech and Hungary and the like, If you study you MIGHT pass. I read a lot of negative things about 3 countries in particular - Czech, Hungary and Poland. I thought Id be able to do it but there its just normal for you to fail. I just wanted to warn all of you and sincerely ask you to think about coming to Romania or Bulgaria (or Spain if you can afford 20k per year to study at Valencia)

In my opinion Romania is much better. Its easier to pass (pass mark is like UK - 50% and examinations are in similar style to UK eg MCQ and practical exams mostly). Its also cheaper to live and enjoy yourself as theres lots to do. In Hungary and Poland the tuition fee is double that of Romania and Bulgaria and in Czech its triple. Add the stress of having to get 70 or 80% to pass and its just not worth it.

Anyway Ill stop going on about Romania to you guys. Thats not what I came here to do. I only intended to warn you about what you are getting yourself into. Im really happy here in Romania and Im convinced that this is a better place than the aforementioned countries. I just hope you guys can read this with an open mind and make the best decision for yourselves.

Whatever you decide on, I wish you all the best of luck!

vitorptm
06-10-2013, 04:04 AM
I'm in Brno. Some things u said are true..and some are not.
Regarding the exams..Any subject that has both written and oral parts is done in the examination period (unless you want to do it in pre-term).
First you need to pass the written part to be able to proceed to the oral one. Both are done on the same day!!!
The pass marks are variable from subject to subject... they range from 50 to 75%.
This seems hard, and truth be told..it is. But if you study, you will pass!! And with good grades too.
But it depends on how much effort you are willing to put in your studying.
The teachers expect that you are well prepared... of course they do.. it's medicine we're studying, we have to be prepared.
Studying hard and getting those high marks are worth it if you want to become a good doctor.
Good luck to all =)

vukmatic
06-11-2013, 08:42 AM
I need to translate my certificates in to czech, can anyone recommend a place where I could do so? Preferably somewhere Brno! I've already had them notarised in the UK, but I think that that's useless at the moment! And on a side note: anyone who completed the A-levels; did you also translate your GCSEs?

thank you!

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.