PDA

View Full Version : Fastest way to return to Canada for residency?

greenglaze
04-08-2013, 09:40 AM
I know this question's been asked many times before, but I was wondering what would be the fastest route to return to Canada for practicing residency? I mean after graduating from Saba.

medic300107
04-08-2013, 11:11 AM
ummm apply for CaRMS the Canadian Residency Matching Service and try to match into residency that way. Also that is the only way to enter a Canadian residency so it's kind of required.

greenglaze
04-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Thanks medic300107. What I meant was what exams, or applications do I need to go through to apply for CARMS? and when is the earliest that I would be eligible to meet those requirements?

devildoc8404
04-08-2013, 12:19 PM
CARMS is the fastest... but remember that it is not the most likely scenario. Definitely have a look at the CARMS match rate for IMGs. Pretty meager.

(Also, if I were in your shoes, I would be looking on the official Canadian government websites for this information, just to make double-damn sure that the scoop is genuine. VMD is not Canon.)

medic300107
04-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks medic300107. What I meant was what exams, or applications do I need to go through to apply for CARMS? and when is the earliest that I would be eligible to meet those requirements?

Agree with DevilDoc, verify everything you hear here. That being said I believe Canada has it's own licensing exams, and recently one of two scenarios happened (Don't remember) either 1) you can just use USMLE to enter CARMS but still need Canadian licensing before starting, or 2) you can't use USMLE and need Canadian exams prior to entering CaRMS. Do some research on their website. That being said expect to get residency in the US if you get one at all coming from a Caribbean school.

greenglaze
04-09-2013, 02:32 PM
1) you can just use USMLE to enter CARMS but still need Canadian licensing before starting.

I haven't found anything on their official website saying anything to that effect. I'll probably call them and ask them myself. But I'm guessing if something like that happened there would be an exodus of doctors from the US to Canada. Only time will tell though and I hope IMG policies do change in the future. I'll keep you posted on their response.

Cheers!

Mourning Cloak
04-09-2013, 04:04 PM
I know this question's been asked many times before, but I was wondering what would be the fastest route to return to Canada for practicing residency? I mean after graduating from Saba.

1) You must be a Canadian citizen / PR
2) You must write the MCCEE exam (and do well)
3) Some jurisdictions also require you to pass the NAC-OSCE
4) Canadian rotations (ideally in the specialty you're interested in, at the site you're interested in)
5) You'll need GREAT LORs (ideally from the site you'd like to match, but any Canadian site is better than nothing)
6) Apply to CaRMS
7) Hopefully get interviews
8) Hopefully impress the hell out of them
8) Hopefully match
9) LMCC Part I is not required, but doesn't hurt!

RPhtoMD
04-10-2013, 11:03 AM
1) You must be a Canadian citizen / PR
2) You must write the MCCEE exam (and do well)
3) Some jurisdictions also require you to pass the NAC-OSCE
4) Canadian rotations (ideally in the specialty you're interested in, at the site you're interested in)
5) You'll need GREAT LORs (ideally from the site you'd like to match, but any Canadian site is better than nothing)
6) Apply to CaRMS
7) Hopefully get interviews
8) Hopefully impress the hell out of them
8) Hopefully match
9) LMCC Part I is not required, but doesn't hurt!

As a recent Saba grad who just matched in Canada...read everything Mourning Cloak posted....mark it down...and memorize it...and then be prepared for whatever other loops the MCC or any authority throws at you. If you really really wana match in Canada its not impossible, but its not easy and there is some deal of luck involved. Plan ahead, look at all the changes that CaRMS and the MCC makes every few months regarding exams and process as its constantly a work in progress. You can not use just the Steps to apply, not now not ever. Must have at least the EE and that may very well change with some programs requiring the NAC OSCE, QE1 can help if you do well. I have classmates who did also complete the QE1 in addition to the EE and it likely helped them as they did well. Do below average and its possible it could hinder you. All this will reply planning way ahead do to timelines and scheduling conflicts.
It is definately getting more and more competative every year but if your in the system now, just work hard and try your best. Early in third year make sure you look at every school accross Canada as far as elective oppurtunities and then start applying early accross the board. The paperwork itself can be a nightmare. I remember having to shell out 1000 bucks to fly home for a weekend to get my physical done and docs signed by my family doc for a program just to try to book an elective 9 months ahead of time. But all in all it was worth it. Most schools have black out periods where no international/Non CMG or US students can not rotate. Some faculties use online lottery application process's to try to even attempt to book a spot. Getting electives in Canada is key, and Saba requires them to be officially booked through the faculties of medicine. Which is fair and something that the canadian programs state. However I am pretty sure other international programs allow students to book rotations thru limited affiliations for electives. But this is also now being clamped down on in Ontario as the CPSO has come out with more stringent guidelines to electives in Ontario. Be prepared to travel and go anywhere you can. Work you but off to get good letters. If your from Alberta or Quebec...These places have even more stringent requirements to match, so look now.
That said if you make it to the file review/interview process I think they really do look at your entire profile. Previous experience, transcripts, activities in Med School, rotations etc and of course LOR's. Thus excell at everything and be well rounded, do whatever you can from day1. From my CaRMS interviews I can say anecdotaly that they also look at where you completed rotations and the type of learning environment you where at for US clinicals/level of responsibility/number of other students with you.
Do well on your steps...you have...I think it helps with your CaRMS application and of course with the nature of how competative ERAS/NRMP is getting it is a must. Be prepared to attempt...I say attempt because even that is not easy these days and going forward it will likely get tougher. But this years match from what I have seen looks good so we are doing okay. However do not hold any faith in going to Saba meaning anything. We are all the same, IMG's are IMG's. People can say what they want, but in the end I truely believe its a system you have to break thru regardless. At least for Canada, besides perhaps the maritimes, we are all Caribs..no difference. Only difference is still that old school mentality that Ireland/UK and Australia grads may have more to offer. This I say again from what I have seen and heard during my interview process and heard among my peers.
Finally if your in the system, love all the faculty and admin in Deven's, like they are your own family, because you will need them countless times to get paperwork/documents submitted and anything else. A good relationship will serve you well.
All in all I think its possible, if I made it thru, but again there is some luck involved. So much has to line up ahead. What will it be like 2 or 3 years from now, as for CaRMS I dont know, it definately will not get any easier as the numbers of CSA's is increasing drastically coupled with the fact that this year about 130 Canadian grads didnt match in the first round. What will that mean for the number of spots in the IMG stream don't know, but it could always change. IMG spots are provincinally funded positions created for supplying underserviced area's to fill in gaps of Canadian/US grads. With changes in numbers at Canadian programs and constant talk of fiscal responsibility on a provincial level, even this could impact what happens in the future.
Work hard, and be prepared to match anywhere, whether its Southern Ontario or Nebraska....because there are no givens, but in the end wherever you match you will be a doc doing what you wanted.
Sorry for the lack of structure/spelling in my response, but just thought I would share my thoughts.
Good luck!

greenglaze
04-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Thanks RPhtoMD!

I called CaRMS today and they said that if I am an IMG with USMLE step 1 and 2 I am still required to do the MCCEE to apply for CaRMS.

Thanks for all the replies guys/gals, wish everyone good luck in their endeavors.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.