PDA

View Full Version : Important immigration notice for prospective students

SMUAdministration
03-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Dear Prospective Students,

Please be advised that students are required to have a Student Residency Permit (SRP) to stay on the island during Basic Sciences.

The University will submit, on your behalf, documents to the Immigration Department in Curaçao to process your application for your “Student Residency Permit” after you have reached Curaçao. Your SRP is an ID card issued by the Govt. of Curaçao, comparable to a green card. It will allow you to travel in and out of Curaçao without any hassle of getting travel visa. This SRP will be valid for a period of one year, renewable as many times as your study requires. The University will reapply for your SRP every year as long as you are enrolled as a student.

Please contact one of our admission offices if you need any clarification regarding this process.

Thank you,
SMUFOM, Administration

Info88
03-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Thank you for posting. I am a Canadian citizen, do I need to apply before coming to the island?

I will contact the Austin office as well to find out more about it.

SMUAdministration
03-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Thank you for posting. I am a Canadian citizen, do I need to apply before coming to the island?

I will contact the Austin office as well to find out more about it.

Good question! First time US and Canadian passport holders can come on a tourist visa, but they will need to obtain a SRP to stay on the island for 2 years once they arrive. The process is a little different for our Asian and African students.

The island government has recently instituted a new SRP process for medical students in Curacao. We will provide you with the details as soon as they are available to us.

Please speak to one of our reps for further clarification, if needed.

Info88
03-25-2013, 08:34 AM
Great. I will definitely contact the office.
Thank you for your quick response and help! You guys are great.
:)

Jive Talk
03-26-2013, 09:53 AM
I am American and I came on a tourist visa, not really knowing what to expect. Ms. M (local lady that works in the office) helped me out and I had my copy client (approval) in no time!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.