PDA

View Full Version : St. Martinus gaining popularity?

Jive Talk
03-24-2013, 12:47 PM
As I was posting last night around 11 pm EST, I noticed that there were 56 users viewing our school's VMD threads. That was tied for first (with St. Georges) out of all the Carib schools. :p

Personally, I think it is time for people to start noticing our school. The academics have greatly improved the last few semesters, and especially from last to this semester.

Has anyone else noticed this positive trend at SMU?

VintageTrail
03-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Has anyone else noticed this positive trend at SMU?
LOL no.

Number of page views at the St. George's University Wikipedia page over the last 90 days: 19,624 (stats.grok.se/en/latest90/St.%20George%27s%20University)
Number of page views at the St. Martinus University Wikipedia page over the last 90 days: 2,637 (stats.grok.se/en/latest90/St.%20Martinus%20University%20Faculty%20of%20Medic ine)

And a Google Search comparison between "st george's university" (red line) and "st martinus university" (blue line)...the blue line is barely even visible: i.imgur.com/VgLbHiz.jpg

Info88
03-24-2013, 06:44 PM
Jive Talk,
I agree with you. I heard from one of my friends in Toronto that the presentation hall was full of students and parents today. He also told me that there were 2 students who have friends studying at SGU and Ross and their (SGU and Ross's) profs talk highly about the level of academics at SMU. I am curious as to why SMU did not advertise in Canada before this year?? It's strange!

Jive Talk
03-24-2013, 07:11 PM
]

Number of page views at the St. Martinus University Wikipedia page over the last 90 days: 2,637 (stats.grok.se/en/latest90/St.%20Martinus%20University%20Faculty%20of%20Medic ine)

ouch, that hurts :(
looks like i jumped the gun on comparing with SGU haha (wishful thinking i guess)

Jive Talk
03-24-2013, 07:12 PM
Jive Talk,
I agree with you. I heard from one of my friends in Toronto that the presentation hall was full of students and parents today. He also told me that there were 2 students who have friends studying at SGU and Ross and their (SGU and Ross's) profs talk highly about the level of academics at SMU. I am curious as to why SMU did not advertise in Canada before this year?? It's strange!

I'm happy to hear that. So are you thinking about coming to SMUFOM yourself? That's amazing how Ross and SGU are noticing us. I had no idea!!!!

laricb
03-24-2013, 07:16 PM
As I was posting last night around 11 pm EST, I noticed that there were 56 users viewing our school's VMD threads. That was tied for first (with St. Georges) out of all the Carib schools. :p

Personally, I think it is time for people to start noticing our school. The academics have greatly improved the last few semesters, and especially from last to this semester.

Has anyone else noticed this positive trend at SMU?The school needs to achieve yrs not semesters...with academics

laricb
03-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Jive Talk,
I agree with you. I heard from one of my friends in Toronto that the presentation hall was full of students and parents today. He also told me that there were 2 students who have friends studying at SGU and Ross and their (SGU and Ross's) profs talk highly about the level of academics at SMU. I am curious as to why SMU did not advertise in Canada before this year?? It's strange!Why would SGU and ROSS talk highly of this or any other school

Info88
03-24-2013, 07:43 PM
It's not a crime to admire one's quality. I think??

laricb
03-24-2013, 07:52 PM
It's not a crime to admire one's quality. I think??You're just fooling yourself

Info88
03-24-2013, 08:02 PM
I'm happy to hear that. So are you thinking about coming to CMU yourself? That's amazing how Ross and SGU are noticing us. I had no idea!!!!

Well, I am investigating on internet as much as I can to find the best school. If I talk about the big schools like SGU, Ross etc., their fees is really high and I can't even think of going there. Even loans wouldn't help.

I am hearing a lot of good things about SMU. Can you please educate me more about the school and island being a current student?

I am sorry, I take the fifth on CMU.

SMUAdministration
03-24-2013, 08:05 PM
I am hearing a lot of good things about SMU. Can you please educate me more about the school and island being a current student?

Info88,

Please contact [email protected] to speak with one of our student coordinators. We will be happy to assist you as space is available for our July 2013 semester.

Info88
03-24-2013, 08:08 PM
You're just fooling yourself

Fooling myself??? If the source of information was a blogging website or someone else (competitor), I would have agreed with you, but my friend gave me this information. I think you missed that part from my post. That's not fooling - that's the information I could believe in.

Info88
03-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Good to hear that I can still apply for July 2013 semester. I will send an email right now.
Many thanks for your post!

laricb
03-24-2013, 08:14 PM
Fooling myself??? If the source of information was a blogging website or someone else (competitor), I would have agreed with you, but my friend gave me this information. I think you missed that part from my post. That's not fooling - that's the information I could believe in.You're friend is leaving something out why would sgu or ross advertise for another competitor or school they have nothing to gain from it but only to loss.

SMUAdministration
03-24-2013, 08:35 PM
You're friend is leaving something out why would sgu or ross advertise for another competitor or school they have nothing to gain from it but only to loss.

It's not about them advertising for SMUFOM -- but it is about respect. It's refreshing to know that SGU and Ross respect our caliber in terms of academics.

Are you a prospective student? If so, why don't you send us an email at [email protected] to learn more about us, straight from the source!

Info88
03-24-2013, 08:36 PM
Anybody or everybody will go to big schools who has the money to pay $250K plus. I am just finding the right school to pursue my career in Medicine. If you cannot help, please do not distract me from what I am doing. Just an FYI - SGU and/or Ross do not need popularity - they already are popular.

Thank you for your "expert" comment on my source of information.

I don't understand why people poke their nose without knowing the fact. How do you know that my friend is leaving something out???? I wish people think before they post.

SMUAdministration
03-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Info88,

Thank you for your quick email and interest in SMUFOM. Please check your personal email for details regarding the next steps. In the meantime, please visit martinus.edu for more information.

laricb
03-25-2013, 12:46 PM
Anybody or everybody will go to big schools who has the money to pay $250K plus. I am just finding the right school to pursue my career in Medicine. If you cannot help, please do not distract me from what I am doing. Just an FYI - SGU and/or Ross do not need popularity - they already are popular.

Thank you for your "expert" comment on my source of information.

I don't understand why people poke their nose without knowing the fact. How do you know that my friend is leaving something out???? I wish people think before they post.Because I didn't want to call you're friend a liar. There is no way SGU OR ROSS gave your school high marks...

mulberry
03-25-2013, 01:43 PM
edit.........

Info88
03-25-2013, 01:48 PM
What does he have to gain by lying? Nothing! I find no reason for him to lie about it.

I trust him like my brother. We are friends since childhood and as of now SMU is the best choice for us. We have done a lot of research and have talked to current students, profs and administration. I feel that it is a great institution. Whoever I have talked to, so far, has not said anything against the academics. Everybody has admired the level of academics. That's all I care about.

laricb
03-25-2013, 02:02 PM
What does he have to gain by lying? Nothing! I find no reason for him to lie about it.

I trust him like my brother. We are friends since childhood and as of now SMU is the best choice for us. We have done a lot of research and have talked to current students, profs and administration. I feel that it is a great institution. Whoever I have talked to, so far, has not said anything against the academics. Everybody has admired the level of academics. That's all I care about.I am not telling you where to attend medical school,But don't come on this forum and stat that SGU and ROSS gave your school great marks it just doesn't make sense..

Info88
03-25-2013, 02:24 PM
If it does not make any sense to you, that's fine.

Let's just stop discussing about it here. I know that SMU is great as far as academics are concerned and that's all every student cares about who wants to become a doctor! I think it is pretty clear and simple to understand.

mulberry
03-25-2013, 02:57 PM
If it does not make any sense to you, that's fine.

Let's just stop discussing about it here. I know that SMU is great as far as academics are concerned and that's all every student cares about who wants to become a doctor! I think it is pretty clear and simple to understand.

How can you know if you are a prospective student? I am almost 99% sure you are part of the SMU Admin. There are clues in this very thread.

medman
03-25-2013, 03:11 PM
LOL....Oh ValueMD...

Info88
03-25-2013, 09:29 PM
How can you know if you are a prospective student? I am almost 99% sure you are part of the SMU Admin. There are clues in this very thread.

I have nothing to do with their admin. I am not sure what clues are you talking about. I am here to gather information about the school and I don't think it helped.

SMUAdministration
03-26-2013, 09:17 AM
I have nothing to do with their admin. I am not sure what clues are you talking about. I am here to gather information about the school and I don't think it helped.

Info88,

Do not let ValueMD get you down.

You need to contact [email protected] and visit martinus.edu, as you have been rightly doing so, in order to get receive the most up to date information.

You, as well as other prospective students, will be happy to know that we have been getting a huge influx of calls and emails regarding our July 2013 semester.

As you correctly stated earlier, we are focusing on our Canadian market this quarter with very positive results!

Info88
03-26-2013, 06:28 PM
I don't think that I need this blogging site anymore. I am already in touch with Mr. B at the Austin office.
Thanks for all your help.

Torontoguy81
03-27-2013, 12:28 PM
I'm going to weigh in on this whole SMUFOM debauchery. Lets take SMUFOM out of the equation and look at what it takes to get a residency position in the US.
First you need to pass the USMLE to get a non-competitive residency OR score high on the USMLE if you want to land a competitive residency position.
This applies to every school in the US, Canada, Caribbean. Landing a residency position is not based on what school you go to (although it can help/affiliations) but rather how well you do on USMLE, networking during clinical rotation, and strong a recommendation from the Dean of your school.

All the above can be achieved at any school because it is all within your control and is based on how hard you work and study. SMUFOM has been thrown under the bus and understandably so due to some distant events. However, they have managed to keep their heads above the water and are now gaining momentum and recognition. Take this parallel, you take the USMLE and you fail the 1st time. You then regroup, figure out what you need to do differently, implement it and have success on your 2nd attempt. This is exactly what SMUFOM is doing under new management. You know they are working hard for their students and finding them residencies because they have had a chance to see where they failed in the past, are wiser and dare not make the same mistakes twice.

I want to be sure I also clearly state I am a future student of SMUFOM and my information is based on my own personal research and may have some inaccuracies but to the best of my knowledge it is true. I have met with SMUFOM faculty and students, all to which have come across as extremely articulate and intelligent. All my questions and concerns were address and I received the information I needed to know that SMUFOM would provide me with the education necessary to pass USMLE and allow me to be an excellent doctor, as long as I put in the work.

I've given you my 2 cents because it upsets me when negative outside forces try and influence your better judgment when trying to make a decision that is right for you. I think it is also important to remember that a lot of the nah sayers on here are likely competing schools or 16-17 yrs olds, who at that age think they know everything. I myself am a respected regulated healthcare professional in Canada that has chosen SMUFOM specifically because of its balance of affordability and superior education (I know this because I know a student there). I'm not trying to convince you SMUFOM is right for you because it might not be. What I'm trying to do is speak on behalf of those who have done their research, knowing SMUFOM has had issues in the past, and have come to the conclusion that SMUFOM is perfect for them/me. I might add I was accepted at SGU but I can't afford it, that is a REAL FACTOR you need to make when choosing a medical school and SMUFOM offers reasonable tuition end of story. I know I must sound like I am SMUFOM promoter but.... O wait I am! Yup I'm a student at SMUFOM and I'm promoting my school, how dare I!!

If you think I am not who I say I am then private message me, Skype me and I can show you I am exactly who I say I am.

Please med school hopefuls, if you want to practice medicine in the US all you need to do is work really really really hard, do well, and pick a school that fits you. Also helps to have your own personal genie, magic teapot, and unicorn.

VintageTrail
03-27-2013, 04:39 PM
All the above can be achieved at any school because it is all within your control and is based on how hard you work and study.
You're 100% right. In terms of offshore schools, as long as you pass your steps, it doesn't matter too much where your degree is from.

At the same time, people can't ignore this:

SMUFOM has been thrown under the bus and understandably so due to some distant events.
Since 2009 the school has had three different owners (JD, HC, P/SS). The school nearly closed because of financial problems in 2010. The current president was recently banned from Wikipedia for pretending to be a disgruntled CMU student. I can't even begin to describe how unprofessional that is. Are these really the kinds of things you want to associate yourself with?

Torontoguy81
03-27-2013, 04:53 PM
No. But the people you have just explained are not the people I have met in person, research, and communicated with. I don't know your background and I don't think your wrong, but I do think you are making accusation just to smear the schools name. Why is it you care who goes to this school? Why are you on St. Martinus forum if you aren't a supporter? Could it be you are simply here to spread negativity, talk smack because.. well I don't know why you would waste time speaking negatively when you could be doing more important things. All students considering SMUFOM don't listen to this guy or any of them. There are shady people at every single medical school in the world, there is unfairness at every medical school in the world, there are liar at every medical school in the world but it doesn't matter because you can work hard, perform well, and move the fuck on, which I suggest all you SMUFOM haters do. Go hang with your friends, LOL!

You're 100% right. In terms of offshore schools, as long as you pass your steps, it doesn't matter too much where your degree is from.

At the same time, people can't ignore this:

Since 2009 the school has had three different owners (JD, HC, P/SS). The school nearly closed because of financial problems in 2010. The current president was recently banned from Wikipedia for pretending to be a disgruntled CMU student. I can't even begin to describe how unprofessional that is. Are these really the kinds of things you want to associate yourself with?

Torontoguy81
03-27-2013, 04:55 PM
** they must have change a bad word I used to "making babies". LOL!

SMUAdministration
03-27-2013, 08:13 PM
I could not have said it better myself!! Please PM me your identity if you wish to reveal it to me. :)

I'm going to weigh in on this whole SMUFOM debauchery. Lets take SMUFOM out of the equation and look at what it takes to get a residency position in the US.
First you need to pass the USMLE to get a non-competitive residency OR score high on the USMLE if you want to land a competitive residency position.
This applies to every school in the US, Canada, Caribbean. Landing a residency position is not based on what school you go to (although it can help/affiliations) but rather how well you do on USMLE, networking during clinical rotation, and strong a recommendation from the Dean of your school.

All the above can be achieved at any school because it is all within your control and is based on how hard you work and study. SMUFOM has been thrown under the bus and understandably so due to some distant events. However, they have managed to keep their heads above the water and are now gaining momentum and recognition. Take this parallel, you take the USMLE and you fail the 1st time. You then regroup, figure out what you need to do differently, implement it and have success on your 2nd attempt. This is exactly what SMUFOM is doing under new management. You know they are working hard for their students and finding them residencies because they have had a chance to see where they failed in the past, are wiser and dare not make the same mistakes twice.

I want to be sure I also clearly state I am a future student of SMUFOM and my information is based on my own personal research and may have some inaccuracies but to the best of my knowledge it is true. I have met with SMUFOM faculty and students, all to which have come across as extremely articulate and intelligent. All my questions and concerns were address and I received the information I needed to know that SMUFOM would provide me with the education necessary to pass USMLE and allow me to be an excellent doctor, as long as I put in the work.

I've given you my 2 cents because it upsets me when negative outside forces try and influence your better judgment when trying to make a decision that is right for you. I think it is also important to remember that a lot of the nah sayers on here are likely competing schools or 16-17 yrs olds, who at that age think they know everything. I myself am a respected regulated healthcare professional in Canada that has chosen SMUFOM specifically because of its balance of affordability and superior education (I know this because I know a student there). I'm not trying to convince you SMUFOM is right for you because it might not be. What I'm trying to do is speak on behalf of those who have done their research, knowing SMUFOM has had issues in the past, and have come to the conclusion that SMUFOM is perfect for them/me. I might add I was accepted at SGU but I can't afford it, that is a REAL FACTOR you need to make when choosing a medical school and SMUFOM offers reasonable tuition end of story. I know I must sound like I am SMUFOM promoter but.... O wait I am! Yup I'm a student at SMUFOM and I'm promoting my school, how dare I!!

If you think I am not who I say I am then private message me, Skype me and I can show you I am exactly who I say I am.

Please med school hopefuls, if you want to practice medicine in the US all you need to do is work really really really hard, do well, and pick a school that fits you. Also helps to have your own personal genie, magic teapot, and unicorn.

VintageTrail
03-28-2013, 05:48 AM
I do think you are making accusation just to smear the schools name.
You don't have to believe me. Just look at the evidence.

There were a ton of articles about the school closure back in 2010: valuemd.com/st-martinus-medical-school/181869-articles-st-martinuz-closure.html (the articles have been archived, but here is a mirror: network54.com/Forum/4609/message/1249933361/Sir+Rafael+of+the+Kingdom+of+Zee+TRUTH+++please+an alyse)

...and the school president's Wikipedia ban: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Sockpuppet_investigations/Sharmauiuc/Archive

Jive Talk
03-28-2013, 07:06 AM
You really have nothing else better to do, right? At first I thought that perhaps you were CMU admin, but then I figured that you might actually have the time to be a student; on your exams, you just have to memorize BRS questions (which the profs don't even bother to change up). So basically, you don't have to actually learn the material!! lollllllll

You don't have to believe me. Just look at the evidence.

There were a ton of articles about the school closure back in 2010: valuemd.com/st-martinus-medical-school/181869-articles-st-martinuz-closure.html (the articles have been archived, but here is a mirror: network54.com/Forum/4609/message/1249933361/Sir+Rafael+of+the+Kingdom+of+Zee+TRUTH+++please+an alyse)

...and the school president's Wikipedia ban: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Sockpuppet_investigations/Sharmauiuc/Archive

Torontoguy81
03-28-2013, 07:28 AM
Now I'm not saying you are wrong VintageTrail but I ask you when has it ever been acceptable to use forums and Wikipedia as factual sources? I know when I write a paper the source must be a scholarly peer reviewed article and if I dared to use Wikipedia as one of my sources I would receive a big fat 0, which I am now awarding your posts!

laricb
03-28-2013, 07:41 AM
Now I'm not saying you are wrong VintageTrail but I ask you when has it ever been acceptable to use forums and Wikipedia as factual sources? I know when I write a paper the source must be a scholarly peer reviewed article and if I dared to use Wikipedia as one of my sources I would receive a big fat 0, which I am now rewarding your posts!This forum is used to educate future students on making the right choice when choosing a medical school. This info is useful and now allows a prospective student to do his research. If this school is what you think it is then you have nothing to worry about when trying to protect its value.

Jive Talk
03-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Has SMUFOM closed in the past? The answer is YES.

There is a caveat, though: It was closed under the OLD MANAGEMENT who had their ISOLATED ISSUES. The NEW MANAGEMENT has taken over and doing an EXCELLENT job.

I guess this concept will never get through THICK MINDS.

laricb
03-28-2013, 07:50 AM

There is a caveat, though: It was closed under the OLD MANAGEMENT who had their ISOLATED ISSUES. The NEW MANAGEMENT has taken over and doing an EXCELLENT job.

I guess this concept will never get through THICK MINDS.It takes time and facts to gain value. I wouldn't choose this school today.

Jive Talk
03-28-2013, 09:04 AM
It takes time and facts to gain value. I wouldn't choose this school today.

I did choose this school and am proud of my decision. The academics here are great, and as someone else posted, even SGU and Ross are noticing the quality of our teaching. Everything else is rapidly (or at least steadily) heading in the right direction.

laricb
03-28-2013, 09:18 AM
I did choose this school and am proud of my decision. The academics here are great, and as someone else posted, even SGU and Ross are noticing the quality of our teaching. Everything else is rapidly (or at least steadily) heading in the right direction.Good Luck You will need it.

Jive Talk
03-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Good Luck You will need it.

Thanks, but no thanks. I'm happy where I'm at.

medic300107
03-28-2013, 10:01 AM
1) Having participated in the Ross seminars and been a tudent not once was another school mentioned. IDK who the "friend" is but profs definitely don't talk about other schools, they teach and walk out of the room. I also don't see how profs would be able to rate the quality of academics at any other school they never worked for or had interaction with.
2) While steps are the most important filter for PDs examining interview candidates school definietly matters. More so with more competitive specialties. Look at Emergency Medicine (I choose this because I have experience here) for instance. Most places Ross, AUC, and SGU grads matched were places previous Ross, AUC, and SGU grads have matched. Many places will rank a student from a school they know the quality of over one they don't. I'm not saying SMU is a poor school, but coming from a school that hasn't built a reputation yet could prove more troublesome in the future especially with the more competitive specialties.

laricb
03-28-2013, 10:43 AM
1) Having participated in the Ross seminars and been a tudent not once was another school mentioned. IDK who the "friend" is but profs definitely don't talk about other schools, they teach and walk out of the room. I also don't see how profs would be able to rate the quality of academics at any other school they never worked for or had interaction with.
2) While steps are the most important filter for PDs examining interview candidates school definietly matters. More so with more competitive specialties. Look at Emergency Medicine (I choose this because I have experience here) for instance. Most places Ross, AUC, and SGU grads matched were places previous Ross, AUC, and SGU grads have matched. Many places will rank a student from a school they know the quality of over one they don't. I'm not saying SMU is a poor school, but coming from a school that hasn't built a reputation yet could prove more troublesome in the future especially with the more competitive specialties.I couldn't have said it better Well put. If USMD students keep increasing class size and residency spots don't increase, what school you attend will really matter.

SMUAdministration
03-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Jive Talk,

I know that your intentions are well, but the school never actually closed. SMUFOM always had students that were actively enrolled. It is, however, true that many students did leave due to management issues. As you know, that was under the old management. The new management has not experienced any of those issues, and we are expecting 130+ students next semester (July 2013) on our new campus.

I guess this concept will never get through THICK MINDS.

VintageTrail
03-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Now I'm not saying you are wrong VintageTrail but I ask you when has it ever been acceptable to use forums and Wikipedia as factual sources?
I didn't link to a Wikipedia article, and the forum link was to an Amigoe article. Amigoe is a very respected news agency on the island.

Did you actually look at the links?

You really have nothing else better to do, right? At first I thought that perhaps you were CMU admin, but then I figured that you might actually have the time to be a student; on your exams, you just have to memorize BRS questions (which the profs don't even bother to change up). So basically, you don't have to actually learn the material!! lollllllll
I'm just providing information dude. What's with the ad hominems?

It takes time and facts to gain value. I wouldn't choose this school today.
Bingo. The current administration may or may not be financially solvent, but ignoring the past financial issues is reckless...not to mention that the actions of the SMU president impersonating a disgruntled CMU student on Wikipedia are very disconcerting.

Torontoguy81
03-28-2013, 01:42 PM
Dear VintageTrail,

Below is the post I am referring to when I was telling you that Wikipedia and forums aren't the best sources to get reliable information. As you can see both articles you have used are references that either come from Wikipedia or ValueMD. As for SMUFOM's past, who the F___K cares. Bill Clinton was a cheating lying husband but he was the best godamn president the USA has ever had. Just saying people, institutions, schools, and even Presidents f___K up but that doesn't mean they aren't capable of doing a great job. Go study, I promise you Vintage trail, Labricb, and everyone else that is sooooooo concerned for the med hopefuls thinking of SMUFOM, that I will be 100% honest with this forum about my experience at SMUFOM. If it turns out that SMUFOM absolutely sucks, I'll tell you. If it turns out to be so so, I'll l you. If it turns out to be AMAZING, I'll tell you told you so. Everyone on here discrediting SMUFOM has no first hand experience with the school and yes in their own mind are trying to help but are in fact making more difficult for level head students such as myself make a decision.

So for everyone that is just looking out for future SMUFOM students, why not just keep the opinions to yourself(cause that's what they are) and let people who have attended the school or attending the school with first hand experiences guide you or help you with your very important decision. Does that not sound fair? I never thought in my wildest dreams I would become a forum troll, LOL! I'm excited for all future SMUFOM students because your going to have me as a classmate, exciting!!!!!!

VintageTrails Post:
"There were a ton of articles about the school closure back in 2010: valuemd.com/st-martinus-medical-school/181869-articles-st-martinuz-closure.html (the articles have been archived, but here is a mirror: network54.com/Forum/4609/message/1249933361/Sir+Rafael+of+the+Kingdom+of+Zee+TRUTH+++please+an alyse)

...and the school president's Wikipedia ban: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Sockpuppet_investigations/Sharmauiuc/Archive"

Torontoguy81
03-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Pvt message me in the future if you're a student interested in SMUFOM and want my an honest opinion/experience with the school.

laricb
03-28-2013, 03:27 PM
Dear VintageTrail,

Below is the post I am referring to when I was telling you that Wikipedia and forums aren't the best sources to get reliable information. As you can see both articles you have used are references that either come from Wikipedia or ValueMD. As for SMUFOM's past, who the F___K cares. Bill Clinton was a cheating lying husband but he was the best godamn president the USA has ever had. Just saying people, institutions, schools, and even Presidents f___K up but that doesn't mean they aren't capable of doing a great job. Go study, I promise you Vintage trail, Labricb, and everyone else that is sooooooo concerned for the med hopefuls thinking of SMUFOM, that I will be 100% honest with this forum about my experience at SMUFOM. If it turns out that SMUFOM absolutely sucks, I'll tell you. If it turns out to be so so, I'll l you. If it turns out to be AMAZING, I'll tell you told you so. Everyone on here discrediting SMUFOM has no first hand experience with the school and yes in their own mind are trying to help but are in fact making more difficult for level head students such as myself make a decision.

So for everyone that is just looking out for future SMUFOM students, why not just keep the opinions to yourself(cause that's what they are) and let people who have attended the school or attending the school with first hand experiences guide you or help you with your very important decision. Does that not sound fair? I never thought in my wildest dreams I would become a forum troll, LOL! I'm excited for all future SMUFOM students because your going to have me as a classmate, exciting!!!!!!

VintageTrails Post:
"There were a ton of articles about the school closure back in 2010: valuemd.com/st-martinus-medical-school/181869-articles-st-martinuz-closure.html (the articles have been archived, but here is a mirror: network54.com/Forum/4609/message/1249933361/Sir+Rafael+of+the+Kingdom+of+Zee+TRUTH+++please+an alyse)

...and the school president's Wikipedia ban: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Sockpuppet_investigations/Sharmauiuc/Archive"For all we know you could be a faculty member just trying to fool a few mislead students. Everyone can stat an opinion, we all have done our homework before we selected the schools we attend now.

VintageTrail
03-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Below is the post I am referring to when I was telling you that Wikipedia and forums aren't the best sources to get reliable information.
And again, it's clear from this post that you didn't look at the links.

The forum post I linked to contains articles from Amigoe, which is a highly respected news agency on the island. The Wikipedia post wasn't an article, but instead an Administrator page regarding an investigation into the SMU president's multiple accounts. That Wikipedia page clearly shows that the president is banned from editing, and it's not like anyone can edit the page to say that. That had to have been done by a Wikipedia administrator who checked his IP address and realized he was using another account to pretend he was a CMU student.

Frankly I don't know how you can so easily ignore something like this. Doesn't it concern you as a student that your school president would do that?

Torontoguy81
03-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Yes it does(if it were true), but my question is why does it concern you so much? YOU HAVE NO AFFILIATION TO THE SCHOOL which one would think the SMUFOM forum would be a waste of time for someone who claims to have medical aspersions. But no here you are being an ever so concerned peer for all the naive students warning them of the dangers of SMUFOM(which there are none). Ok it shames me to say I have now become part of this toxic banter on this forum and am going to step back and let you do what you do, which is waste our time. COME TO SMUFOM, I AM AT STUDENT AND APPROVE THIS MESSAGE!

SMUAdministration
03-28-2013, 06:06 PM
Torontoguy81,

If the worst thing CMU (VintageTrail) can write about us is the President's supposed banning from Wikipedia (which is not even true; the account in question was blocked [not banned], and does not even belong to the Pres.), then I say we have one damn good medical school!!!

So let him keep talking whatever garbage he wants to and lets see where that gets him.

laricb
03-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Torontoguy81,

If the worst thing CMU (VintageTrail) can write about us is the President's supposed banning from Wikipedia (which is not even true; the account in question was blocked [not banned], and does not even belong to the Pres.), then I say we have one damn good medical school!!!

So let him keep talking whatever garbage he wants to and lets see where that gets him.Bud your school is what gives carib schools a bad name. You have to be out of your mind to attend that school with the pending future of international students and the residency shortage coming in 2017 and beyond

SMUAdministration
03-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Bud your school is what gives carib schools a bad name. You have to be out of your mind to attend that school with the pending future of international students and the residency shortage coming in 2017 and beyond

What you fail to realize is the word "Administration" next to "SMU" in my username. Hence, I really don't think that this is something you should be worried about. Let us deal with. You brought up this issue over and over again, and continuing to do so is not constructive. Re-hashing the same old garbage arguments is not conducive to learning medicine.

laricb
03-28-2013, 07:11 PM
What you fail to realize is the word "Administration" next to "SMU" in my username. Hence, I really don't think that this is something you should be worried about. Let us deal with. You brought up this issue over and over again, and continuing to do so is not constructive. Re-hashing the same old garbage arguments is not conducive to learning medicine.I say you, Because you represent the school and I only bring up the same facts because you keep on trying to sell this school as a good option which it is not.

VintageTrail
03-28-2013, 07:35 PM
You're arguing semantics; "blocked" and "banned" mean the same thing for our purposes.

Having said that, "Sharmauiuc" absolutely belongs to the SMU president. Google it and see whose name comes up: groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/bigbluebutton-setup/q27XZ0Q0F0A

The bigger picture which you aren't addressing is, how can you expect people to trust you? People expect leaders of educational institutions to have integrity - how can you trust a university president who would pretend to be a disgruntled CMU student in order to maliciously edit a Wikipedia article?

And frankly I don't understand how you can deny that account belongs to the SMU president. Are you honestly suggesting that someone from the university IP address has been pretending to be the SMU president on Wikipedia for nearly a year, using the exact same screenname that the SMU president used in the Google group above? Someone who just happened to be editing the SMU article to make the school look better?

Torontoguy81
03-28-2013, 07:44 PM
I'm attending SMUFOM with many others next semester, case closed. We have all done our research, we know the good the bad and the annoying and we have made a decision to attend SMUFOM.

Torontoguy81
03-28-2013, 07:49 PM
:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

to1982
03-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Jive Talk,

Dear St.Martinus administration, you would better serve your business by putting the time you waste in these pathetic astroturfing attempts into improving the school image. For example, correcting the spelling errors in your promotional materials, to not look illiterate. I was at this "presentation", and I guess Info88's "friend" was lying, because there were less than a dozen people there. This was probably due to the fact that it was held on a Sunday morning, in a hotel on the periphery of the city. I realize this was probably a cheaper time/place to rent, but it also reflects on the school. SGU, in contrast, had theirs on a Friday night at the Hyatt downtown. Attendance was about 150 people.

While even SGU's presentation was not the best because they had a ditzy blonde who is working on her MBA do the presentation rather than a dean or a medical instructor, things didn't look that shabby. I was embarrased for St.Martinus, who had half of the presentation being done by an indian woman with a strong accent, who highlighted one of the strong points for coming to Curacao being its drinking water - "among the 5% most drinkable in the world"... I wasn't aware that getting safe drinking water was an issue for the caribbean schools. Then she went on to yammer about how she encourages PARENTS to constantly check up on their children's grades and attendance in class, because she will not stand for slacking and in turn, damage to SMU's pristine reputation. LOL

to1982
03-29-2013, 12:07 PM
What I will give SMU is that it IS cheaper than most of the other schools. But I think there may be factors to consider like what kind of rotation facility agreements they have, and what financial stability for continued existence the school has. Would suck to enroll and do 3 years just for the school to close down as you're getting ready to go into your last year.

And you can't erase management history that happened just a few years earlier, like the arson charges. This is not normal behaviour for heads of respected schools of medicine.

So please invest time and money into getting well-spoken representatives to inspire confidence amongst potential applicants, and stop with these hamfisted attempts at astroturfing by individuals whose first language is not english. And change the school's logo. It looks very amateurish, like drawn by a 5th grader.

SMUAdministration
03-30-2013, 09:40 AM
First of all, you created your account on Mar 2013, and your first 2 posts are attacking SMUFOM. I wonder where your intentions lie (??) Hmmmm...

Now to your points:

Thank you for your business advice, but we are not interested in seeking your consultation at this moment due to the negativity you bring to this forum. As far as misspellings and grammatical errors, please correct us (via PM) so that we may better serve our prospective students.

There were over 50 people at the presentation, not "less than a dozen," as you claim. The venue was carefully chosen for prospective students to attend the seminar without the hassle of commuting to the downtown area. In my opinion, the Marriot is a decent hotel. I have no comments on SGU's seminar, as I was not present there.

So what if the presentation was given by "an indian woman with a strong accent?" If you did find her accent to be strong (which I personally disagree with), what does that have to do with managing a medical school? There are many successful people, (doctors, scientists, etc.) running multimillion/billion dollar companies who have a "strong accent," and they are doing just fine! Over 90% of the attendees mother tongue is a language other than English. On the topic of the speakers, I find it amazing that you forgot to mention Dr. T. A. who spoke eloquently (without an accent) on our M.D. program!!!

Are you really complaining against the "drinkable water" comment? It's an interesting fact, and shows the meticulous planning of the Administration. And what is wrong with parents involved in their child's education? Usually, it is them that is funding their education, and we encourage them to be actively involved in their child's education.

I think I covered all your points. I do not appreciate your negativity, false statements, and your selective amnesia regarding the facts of the presentation.

Dear St.Martinus administration, you would better serve your business by putting the time you waste in these pathetic astroturfing attempts into improving the school image. For example, correcting the spelling errors in your promotional materials, to not look illiterate. I was at this "presentation", and I guess Info88's "friend" was lying, because there were less than a dozen people there. This was probably due to the fact that it was held on a Sunday morning, in a hotel on the periphery of the city. I realize this was probably a cheaper time/place to rent, but it also reflects on the school. SGU, in contrast, had theirs on a Friday night at the Hyatt downtown. Attendance was about 150 people.

While even SGU's presentation was not the best because they had a ditzy blonde who is working on her MBA do the presentation rather than a dean or a medical instructor, things didn't look that shabby. I was embarrased for St.Martinus, who had half of the presentation being done by an indian woman with a strong accent, who highlighted one of the strong points for coming to Curacao being its drinking water - "among the 5% most drinkable in the world"... I wasn't aware that getting safe drinking water was an issue for the caribbean schools. Then she went on to yammer about how she encourages PARENTS to constantly check up on their children's grades and attendance in class, because she will not stand for slacking and in turn, damage to SMU's pristine reputation. LOL

SMUAdministration
03-30-2013, 10:02 AM
Yes, prospective students must consider rotation sites and financial stability before selecting a school. Please contact [email protected] for specific details.

Yes, it would "suck" for a school to close down towards the end of one's studies, but I don't see how that relates to the great academics and stability at SMUFOM.

Yes, you can't erase management history. The charges you speak of are problems of the old management, and not of the new one. Just because one administration might have some type of problem (i.e., Clinton/Lewinsky case), does not mean that the next administration is guilty by association (i.e., the next president, Bush).

I already responded to your "well-spoken representatives" comment in my last post. By the way, I am a fan of the current logo, and while constructive criticism is appreciated, your sophomoric remarks on the logo are not!!

What I will give SMU is that it IS cheaper than most of the other schools. But I think there may be factors to consider like what kind of rotation facility agreements they have, and what financial stability for continued existence the school has. Would suck to enroll and do 3 years just for the school to close down as you're getting ready to go into your last year.

And you can't erase management history that happened just a few years earlier, like the arson charges. This is not normal behaviour for heads of respected schools of medicine.

So please invest time and money into getting well-spoken representatives to inspire confidence amongst potential applicants, and stop with these hamfisted attempts at astroturfing by individuals whose first language is not english. And change the school's logo. It looks very amateurish, like drawn by a 5th grader.

to1982
04-01-2013, 05:05 AM
Yes, I just joined the forum. And? Where do my intentions lie? In bringing down your awesome institution because I run another half-baked caribbean school? Did I pump another school? If you interpret my comments as pumping SGU, maybe I'm an agent for them, because they are in severe need for students!

And you're a straight-up liar. There were NOT over 50 people in attendance, even if you want to skew the numbers by including the SMU staff and students present. No doubt this kind of creative counting goes toward answering your USMLE pass rates, class numbers, etc.

The venue was chosen to help attendees avoid the hassle of the downtown commute? Please. Unless this was aimed at only the population of Brampton, there was no convenience for people commuting from the other side of toronto. And I'll let you in on some logistical information: on a sunday morning, there *is* no traffic to go downtown. Did I say the Mariott was a flea-bitten motel? No. Is the Hyatt more ritzy? Yes. Is renting the Mariott at a location outside of downtown toronto on a sunday morning cheaper than renting the Hyatt on a friday evening? Yes. Let me know if I said something inaccurate.

I didn't "forget" to mention Dr.T.A... if you pay attention to detail, I said "HALF" the presentation was done by someone with a strong indian accent. Do you want me to note all the normal things the presenters did, like showing up in a clean shirt and not burping? I'm making comparisons to what normal expectations are, like being able to clearly understand one's instructors. I think it's relevant to people who are looking to get a medical education to be aware of the teaching conditions - i.e. being instructed by and dealing with people who may be hard to understand. It is irrelevant how successful indian businessmen may be. And even in managing a medical school, as unfortunate as it may be, yes I do think someone with a strong indian accent will be taken a bit less serious, all other things being equal.

Yes, I do think mentioning drinkable water as one of the attractions to come to your school is ridiculous, unless this was a big concern at all the other schools. And if my comments are sophomoric, how sophomoric is it to have mommy and daddy holding your hand and making sure you're studying in MED SCHOOL? It's quite sad that you're marketing to parents, rather than to individuals who are supposed to become physicians in ~6 years. And regardless of you liking your logo or not liking my comments, it still looks amateurish.

to1982
04-01-2013, 05:28 AM
As for the rotation sites, why are they not posted on your website? Do you need people to sign a non-disclosure agreement before seeing them? Are you afraid the other schools will steal them? Are you too busy with your 5000 students to update your 200 rotation sites that change from day to day? This doesn't go towards establishing credibility. Obviously people would like to call the sites to verify your claims and see what they say about the school's students.

And if you don't see a problem with a school that has been around for 10 years having had problems with the principals being involved in criminal charges 5-6 years before, you're missing the boat. It's nice that there is a different administration in place - or else you probably wouldn't even get one student, but again, if you think this doesn't create problems with your image, you're deluding yourself. It speaks volumes to the stability of the school, and the judgement or motives behind whoever is funding the school.

I don't know how you can fix this other than by continuing to exist and producing doctors, but you need to cut down on your bombastic statements to gain credibility. On your website, reason #1 to come to your school is the 2-semester system. You claim that "studies" show (which studies?) that 3-semester systems yield lower scores. By that reasoning, your school should have the highest USMLE scores in the caribbean.
Reason #7 - it is ranked last in probability of being hit by a hurricane. Ranked by who? How is it less likely to be hit by a hurricane than, say, Barbados?

Reason #5 - Curacao is like mini-Amsterdam. Yes, however, from what you said (90% of the students don't speak english as their mother tongue), SMU is like mini-Bangalore.

SMUAdministration
04-01-2013, 09:33 PM
I think it's pretty clear where your intentions lie. You are new to the forum and your first posts are trashing SMUFOM. The smart prospective students will know exactly where your intentions lie. Now, I am not sure who you are an agent for, but your line of questioning sure does make it seem like like you are an agent for someone!

I built my arguments so that the best you could do was call me a "liar." Again, the smart prospective students will know exactly who the one that is lying.

Perhaps we were targeting the Brampton market? Perhaps not? I guess that you will never know. Leave the marketing up to us.

Yes, "half" of the presentation was done by Dr. T. A., whom you did not mention. That really does not help you in terms of being an "independent guest" of the presentation. It makes it seem more like you are biased against SMUFOM.

Yes, it is important for students to clearly understand their profs. We have had transfer students this semester that had problems with foreign accents at other Schools and did not have a problem here. Ask any one of our current students! (By the way, the person in question that you think has "a strong accent" is not a prof.).

On the drinkable water: it's a fact; get over it, already, please!! I already wrote on the parents helping their children out and it makes sense (please reread that section in my earlier post).

Honestly, no one cares about what you think about the logo.

Yes, I just joined the forum. And? Where do my intentions lie? In bringing down your awesome institution because I run another half-baked caribbean school? Did I pump another school? If you interpret my comments as pumping SGU, maybe I'm an agent for them, because they are in severe need for students!

And you're a straight-up liar. There were NOT over 50 people in attendance, even if you want to skew the numbers by including the SMU staff and students present. No doubt this kind of creative counting goes toward answering your USMLE pass rates, class numbers, etc.

The venue was chosen to help attendees avoid the hassle of the downtown commute? Please. Unless this was aimed at only the population of Brampton, there was no convenience for people commuting from the other side of toronto. And I'll let you in on some logistical information: on a sunday morning, there *is* no traffic to go downtown. Did I say the Mariott was a flea-bitten motel? No. Is the Hyatt more ritzy? Yes. Is renting the Mariott at a location outside of downtown toronto on a sunday morning cheaper than renting the Hyatt on a friday evening? Yes. Let me know if I said something inaccurate.

I didn't "forget" to mention Dr.T.A... if you pay attention to detail, I said "HALF" the presentation was done by someone with a strong indian accent. Do you want me to note all the normal things the presenters did, like showing up in a clean shirt and not burping? I'm making comparisons to what normal expectations are, like being able to clearly understand one's instructors. I think it's relevant to people who are looking to get a medical education to be aware of the teaching conditions - i.e. being instructed by and dealing with people who may be hard to understand. It is irrelevant how successful indian businessmen may be. And even in managing a medical school, as unfortunate as it may be, yes I do think someone with a strong indian accent will be taken a bit less serious, all other things being equal.

Yes, I do think mentioning drinkable water as one of the attractions to come to your school is ridiculous, unless this was a big concern at all the other schools. And if my comments are sophomoric, how sophomoric is it to have mommy and daddy holding your hand and making sure you're studying in MED SCHOOL? It's quite sad that you're marketing to parents, rather than to individuals who are supposed to become physicians in ~6 years. And regardless of you liking your logo or not liking my comments, it still looks amateurish.

SMUAdministration
04-01-2013, 09:42 PM
You can have all of your queries answered regarding rotations by calling the Austin office or emailing [email protected] What did you do instead? You gripe on VMD on your first two posts against SMUFOM. As I said, I think that the smart students will know your intentions very clearly.

It's a new administration, and it is the new administration that is funding the school; if you cannot wrap that concept around your brain after my other post, I feel sorry for you.

We are proud to claim that we do, in fact, have one of the highest USMLE rates in the Caribbean due to the fact of our two-semester system. Please contact [email protected] for further clarification.

I'm not a meteorologist, but it is outside of the hurricane belt and therefore less likely to be hit by a hurricane? Am I really arguing about this against you? Grow up!

Curacao is like mini-Amsterdam. And no, if you came for a visit (which I invite you to), you will see that many students are from America, Canada, and yes, India. It is a nice mixture of people and cultures.

As for the rotation sites, why are they not posted on your website? Do you need people to sign a non-disclosure agreement before seeing them? Are you afraid the other schools will steal them? Are you too busy with your 5000 students to update your 200 rotation sites that change from day to day? This doesn't go towards establishing credibility. Obviously people would like to call the sites to verify your claims and see what they say about the school's students.

And if you don't see a problem with a school that has been around for 10 years having had problems with the principals being involved in criminal charges 5-6 years before, you're missing the boat. It's nice that there is a different administration in place - or else you probably wouldn't even get one student, but again, if you think this doesn't create problems with your image, you're deluding yourself. It speaks volumes to the stability of the school, and the judgement or motives behind whoever is funding the school.

I don't know how you can fix this other than by continuing to exist and producing doctors, but you need to cut down on your bombastic statements to gain credibility. On your website, reason #1 to come to your school is the 2-semester system. You claim that "studies" show (which studies?) that 3-semester systems yield lower scores. By that reasoning, your school should have the highest USMLE scores in the caribbean.
Reason #7 - it is ranked last in probability of being hit by a hurricane. Ranked by who? How is it less likely to be hit by a hurricane than, say, Barbados?

Reason #5 - Curacao is like mini-Amsterdam. Yes, however, from what you said (90% of the students don't speak english as their mother tongue), SMU is like mini-Bangalore.

to1982
04-02-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings by calling you a liar, but I don't know what else to call someone who gives false facts. You didn't build any kind of argument. There were not 50 people there. Perhaps you were targeting the Brampton market, perhaps you have low funding or are cheap, both of which don't inspire confidence to the "smart prospective student". Either way, the "marketing" didn't work. You already stated that you rented this location to save students having to go into downtown, presumably because of heavy traffic... except on a sunday morning there is none. So, the latter is more likely. Just saying. For someone representing the administration, giving false facts doesn't inspire much confidence in any of your other claims, such as USMLE pass rates or rotations, which you keep insisting are available if one emails the administration. But you are the administration. If you have time to argue on VMD, you have time to gather that information and present it to us. That you are refusing to openly show these results on your web page tells the "smart prospective student" a lot. A quick perusal of VMD will show that many people are concerned with rotation sites and matching results. The drinkable water is a superfluous fact to bring up, and is of no advantage over any other school. That's like me stating that another school has free oxygen. Stating that it's among the "top 5%" of the most drinkable water in the world is bombastic, given no factual support for this numeric reference. As is claiming that Curacao is has the lowest chance in the caribbean of being hit by a hurricane. Not only are you not a meteorologist, you are not able to defend these numeric claims that are posted on your website. "Smart prospective student" will wonder where you get your numbers from, because if you make up these kinds of numbers, chances are you will also fudge important numbers that do matter. You may think these things don't matter, but your enrollment figures should give you pause to think about the impression you are making, including your logo. Saying something is under "new management" does not wipe the history clean and give you a brand new start. If it's completely new financiers and administration, why bother buying a school with a bad reputation already? This doesn't add up. You want to associate yourself with having existed for 10 years already, but want to dissociate yourself from what's happened in those 10 years. Is that logical? You state that 90% of students attending SMU don't speak english as their mother tongue, yet then obliquely revert to saying that many student are from America and Canada. If english isn't their mother tongue, saying they're "from" North America is a bit deceptive. Please don't play dumb and elaborate on the joys of immigration and multiculturalism; you know the point that's being made. Or maybe you're missing the whole gist of what I'm saying about coming across sketchy.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.