PDA

View Full Version : MATCH 2013 - how many or did ANYONE match this year?

JokerABC
03-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Has anyone heard if anyone from Aureus matched this year? And was it their first time through the match or 2nd or 3rd?

It's going to be a problem if nobody knows any of this information.

devildoc8404
03-15-2013, 03:13 PM
It might be a problem... but would you really be surprised?

Summer2013
03-15-2013, 03:49 PM
I am pretty sure this is not the first time. I know some of the Aureus senior students who also happens to be good friends or mine, matched couple of years ago and doing residency in US.

hollboy
03-15-2013, 04:21 PM
I know of 3 students who matched. Not going to put their names on here because that would be invasion of privacy. I don't know them personally (friends of friends) but I will try to get more info on total number of people who matched this year.

These are students who started at Aureus and applied for match first time.

Summer2013
03-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Good to know 3 matched. I am sure the number will get better next year. I know your school is putting lot of pieces in place with infrastructure, faculty and many other things. I tried to come to Aureus but it did not work out. I wish I could have studied at Aureus. Many of friends are there. Aureus is a rising star among the caribbean medical schools.

RichS
03-20-2013, 08:07 AM
Good to know 3 matched. I am sure the number will get better next year. I know your school is putting lot of pieces in place with infrastructure, faculty and many other things. I tried to come to Aureus but it did not work out. I wish I could have studied at Aureus. Many of friends are there. Aureus is a rising star among the caribbean medical schools.

I don't think saying Aureus is a rising star among Carib medical schools is even remotely true, and is a lie for prospective students. Residency program directors have never even heard of Aureus which is a big reason why students don't even get invited for an interview. Why should they, when you have grads from SGU and Ross? You have to score extremely high on Step 1 and 2 to even get noticed.

This is a big reason why the match rate is so small at Aureus. The match rate for small, lesser known schools is only goin to get worse.

aaron.song
03-20-2013, 09:33 PM
You can go to a professional website check every registration number ah, look at the experience of the past few years. It is not very meaningful.

RichS
03-25-2013, 08:24 AM
I am assuming no one matched at Aureus this year. And how many Aureus students even entered the match? Does anyone know that?

I am trying to tell prospective students at my institution on which schools to attend, but without important information such as this, I cannot tell them but the obvious. Aureus should really put every year's match information on their website, just like every other caribbean school.

mulberry
03-25-2013, 08:40 AM
I don't think saying Aureus is a rising star among Carib medical schools is even remotely true, and is a lie for prospective students. Residency program directors have never even heard of Aureus which is a big reason why students don't even get invited for an interview. Why should they, when you have grads from SGU and Ross? You have to score extremely high on Step 1 and 2 to even get noticed.

This is a big reason why the match rate is so small at Aureus. The match rate for small, lesser known schools is only goin to get worse.

Sorry to say, but uh, you're wrong. For the first part of your reply, at least. It doesn't matter where you graduate from in the Caribbean. It could be a "tier 1" program or a "tier 3" program. At the end of the day, your application is still being placed in the same pile of all IMG/FMGs. It doesn't matter where you go, what matters is how much work you put into becoming a stellar graduate for residencies, e.g. strong clinicals, LORs, above average Step scores, etc. It also helps who you know/meet during clinicals. The only advantage SGU/ROSS has over a tier 3 school is the opportunity for better clinical rotations, NOT residencies.

RichS
03-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Sorry to say, but uh, you're wrong. For the first part of your reply, at least. It doesn't matter where you graduate from in the Caribbean. It could be a "tier 1" program or a "tier 3" program. At the end of the day, your application is still being placed in the same pile of all IMG/FMGs. It doesn't matter where you go, what matters is how much work you put into becoming a stellar graduate for residencies, e.g. strong clinicals, LORs, above average Step scores, etc. It also helps who you know/meet during clinicals. The only advantage SGU/ROSS has over a tier 3 school is the opportunity for better clinical rotations, NOT residencies.

And I can also clearly say that you're wrong. I am on the rank list meeting every year at a mid-level university program (that is friendly to caribbean grads overall) and graduates from the Caribbean schools ARE PLACED IN DIFFERENT PILES ACCCORDING TO WHAT SCHOOL THEY GO TO. SGU/Ross/AUC/Saba are placed in 1 pile, and AUA/MUA in another. Some of the residency programs do not even interview most of the candidates if they have not heard of the school name. Aureus and Xavier are ones that no one in the rank list meetings have heard of.

This does not fair well for someone applying to residency. Sure if you have 99s on Step 1, you can get an interview. How many students from these schools are going to get that?

Scott1981
03-25-2013, 02:42 PM

whether it is fair or not, some programs do make distinctions between caribbean medical schools. from experience, i can tell you that some programs will just flat out not interview applicants specifically due to the school they come from..... despite even getting 99's on the steps.

RichS
04-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Just called the Aureus' New Jersey office number and talked to someone there about getting some information on graduation rates, USMLE Step 1 pass rates and 2013 residency match info. She said they do not know anything about the recent 2013 match. I was like, what? How can you not know this information? This is one of the key things you SHOULD know in terms of "advertising" to prospective students.

It is this lack of information that is concerning. But someone thinks they can just turn things around by saying "I know 2 people that matched" and everything is okay.

miggy211
04-03-2013, 07:02 PM

sorry to say but you are in the wrong this time. As others have mentioned, school absolutely does matter. I just went through the process this past season and there were a healthy amount of programs that only interview certain carib schools.

medic300107
04-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Agree with everyone else, school absolutely matters. It not only matters what "tier" but some places are friendly to some school while others aren't . For instance CMU EM is very Ross friendly, but not so much to SGU because they work with Ross students daily. Just like some places SGU students rotate are more friendly to SGU than Ross and etc.

Summer2013
04-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Well tradition is good. But you can always break it and get in. Once you get in you make your own friends.

Agree with everyone else, school absolutely matters. It not only matters what "tier" but some places are friendly to some school while others aren't . For instance CMU EM is very Ross friendly, but not so much to SGU because they work with Ross students daily. Just like some places SGU students rotate are more friendly to SGU than Ross and etc.

RichS
04-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Well tradition is good. But you can always break it and get in. Once you get in you make your own friends.

You are not going to get in if they don't even look at your application because you came from a certain medical school or unknown medical school. That means you will get no interview.

mulberry
04-18-2013, 02:28 PM
You are not going to get in if they don't even look at your application because you came from a certain medical school or unknown medical school. That means you will get no interview.

Why are you always trolling the Aureus and Xavier forums? Give it a rest, dude.

medic300107
04-18-2013, 03:21 PM

If you're lucky enough to "break in" yes you might create a new path but the fact remains these are way more few and far between. Things are only getting worse for IMGs so these instances will be even farther apart.

RichS
04-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Why are you always trolling the Aureus and Xavier forums? Give it a rest, dude.

It is my job to get more information for prospective students in my university, as I'm on the pre-med help committee. Lately, there has been a lot of interest in Xavier and Aureus, and no concrete information, unlike other medical schools.

It is a disservice to think it's okay for a prospective student to come here and get false information or get a rosy picture.

mulberry
04-18-2013, 05:49 PM
It is my job to get more information for prospective students in my university, as I'm on the pre-med help committee. Lately, there has been a lot of interest in Xavier and Aureus, and no concrete information, unlike other medical schools.

It is a disservice to think it's okay for a prospective student to come here and get false information or get a rosy picture.

Lately? Who are you trying to kid? You have been doing this since 2010 in both Xavier and Aureus' boards. Like I said, give it a rest. I highly doubt anyone believes your story of being on the 'pre-med committee'.

medic300107
04-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Keep the thread on topic. This is the ONLY warning.

JokerABC
04-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Lately? Who are you trying to kid? You have been doing this since 2010 in both Xavier and Aureus' boards. Like I said, give it a rest. I highly doubt anyone believes your story of being on the 'pre-med committee'.

Where are you in medical school, what year?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.