PDA

View Full Version : An Early Recommendation for Residency?

sherina926
03-08-2013, 05:15 PM
How Early is Too Early?

I recently got accepted for the August 2013 class! I want to go for Psychiatry. I am still working as a Psychiatric Assistant. I work around the Chairman of Psychiatry. I was thinking to ask the Chairman, before I resign, to write a recommendation for residency.. since I already got into medical school. I dont know if I can pop up years later to ask him, so I figured to ask now while he still remembers me!

Since he is familiar with me working in a clinical setting I thought he would be a perfect candidate!

Is this a good idea?

Is it too early for recommendations for residency since I didnt even start Medical School yet?

Will it look weird?

Should I not care and just ask for it anyway?

Any input is appreciated!:D

rokshana
03-08-2013, 11:38 PM
too early and he doesn't know you as a clinical student...you have plenty of time.

devildoc8404
03-09-2013, 11:11 AM
I agree with rok.

Remember that you can also stay in touch with him as medical school progresses, and try to work out an elective with him or something during clinicals. His letter would carry significantly more weight at that point, having seen you at multiple stages of your training.

ConfusedMD
03-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Try getting through step 1 (and 2 for that matter) before you start thinking about LORs.

How Early is Too Early?

I recently got accepted for the August 2013 class! I want to go for Psychiatry. I am still working as a Psychiatric Assistant. I work around the Chairman of Psychiatry. I was thinking to ask the Chairman, before I resign, to write a recommendation for residency.. since I already got into medical school. I dont know if I can pop up years later to ask him, so I figured to ask now while he still remembers me!

Since he is familiar with me working in a clinical setting I thought he would be a perfect candidate!

Is this a good idea?

Is it too early for recommendations for residency since I didnt even start Medical School yet?

Will it look weird?

Should I not care and just ask for it anyway?

Any input is appreciated!:D

green1999
04-09-2013, 07:50 PM
What are the difference ways to get a recommendation letter?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.