PDA

View Full Version : Urology in Germany

DrTETO
12-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Do you have information about urology in Germany especially for non German doctors?

devildoc8404
12-09-2012, 07:59 AM
Urology is a very tough residency to get for a non-German, but it is possible. First of all, you need to speak fluent German. (For a match into a less-competitive specialty, the B2 level would be sufficient. If you want something competitive, you probably need C1/C2, or even the advanced certificate.) Ideally, you would have an EU medical diploma. It is still doable if you have a non-EU degree, but it will take longer to get everything approved and certified. Finally, you would need to have citizenship in a country that doesn't make the German immigration authorities swallow their tongues.

Your best bet would be to work with a supportive and reliable medical recruiter in Germany. There are a lot of recruiters out there, and unfortunately many of them suck. Contact as many as it takes to get someone who is good, and who will work with you well. Finally, your chances will increase dramatically if you are willing to work in the eastern regions of Germany. Some of the hospitals there are excellent, some of them are dreadful, so make sure you know what you are getting into before you sign on.

Good luck...

DrTETO
12-10-2012, 10:09 AM
First thank you for your reply
what are medical recruiters in Germany do you suggest, I am planning to learn up to B2 level and go to Germany seeking urology and I think you spend up to 5 years as a resident until you earn the Fa charts what comes afterwards in your experience.

devildoc8404
12-10-2012, 10:52 AM
I honestly don't know how long urology training is for the Facharzt certification in Germany, but in Switzerland it's six years. That information is easily found on Google, though, or you can ask a recruiter.

As I mentioned, there are now loads of recruiters in Germany. In my experience, the best recruiter I have communicated with is TWCON (tw.con. - Internationale Personalvermittlung (http://www.twcon.de/)). If I had ended up going to Germany, I would have definitely gone through these people -- they strike me as honest, helpful, and very thorough in their work. (Disclaimer, because people are sometimes prone to throwing about unfounded accusations on VMD: I have absolutely no stake in their business, and I didn't get my current job through them... I just liked them the most out of all of the German recruiters I met.)

Most recruiters will tell you straight up that urology is not a likely landing place for you. That is true. However, if you achieve excellent German fluency and can demonstrate clinical/research proficiency and an interesting CV, along with a willingness to look outside of the major population centers (and further eastward in Germany), you could have a chance. It is not likely, but it is possible. I would also recommend having a backup specialty or two if at all possible, unless you are willing to live-and-die by urology.

Viel Erfolg!

shrey
03-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Here is a list of different specialties and their durations (pg. 4-8):

http://ic.daad.de/imperia/md/content/informationszentren/icdamaskus/facharztausbildung_engl.pdf

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.