PDA

View Full Version : Advice about Scheduling Cores in NY

aadhar2006
11-29-2012, 02:12 AM
Hi Guys, I really tried to look for a relatively recent thread on this and couldn't find one.. so here goes.
I've just been scheduled for Peds in January 2013 at Flushing in Queens and then Bronx Lebanon for the rest of my cores.
I currently have the opportunity to switch some of those in the next few days. Are these good rotations? By good, I'm wondering about everything! (work experience, living experience, notable and good attendings, reputation) the works! I'd particularly like to have great internal medicine and surgery rotation experiences!

Also, I've been hearing that it would not be advisable to live in Bronx and rather maybe pay more to live in the Upper East Side and commute.. do you all agree?

Thanks in Advance

LinkMoto
11-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Yes, living on the UES would be worth it compared to living in the Bronx. It will be a bit more pricey, but comfort + convenience would keep you nice and sane. It's not a far commute to Bronx Lebanon from the UES anyway. You can commute to Flushing from the UES, which would take an hour. Sounds long, but if you are only gonna be there for 6 weeks and be at Bronx-Leb for everything else, it would be easier to find one central place to live, and "tough" it out for one rotation. An hour for a commute really isn't the worst thing in the world. This might be biased, considering I commuted an hour to all my rotations(even surgery *shudders*). Living experience...well NYC is an awesome city! It's not everyone's cup of tea, but if you've never lived in NYC, be open-minded to it and enjoy it :)

As far as rotations in general, it is what you make of it. Although Caribbean schools get a bad rap for the rotation sites they send students too, if you try to learn, it'll be worth it.

There was a review or two on this board about the IM rotation at Bronx, you can do a search and read that, which would give great information. I did OB + surgery there, and if you want a great experience, you can get that. However, you must be proactive. Bronx Lebanon is the kind of place where, if you want to do as little as possible, noone would bat an eye and you'll slide through with Honors. Which is great for those who don't wanna do surgery as a career ;) On the other hand, if you want to do as much as possible, you can get that opportunity by showing interest.

If you are interested in what the surgery experience is like:
(note: things might be a bit different from when I did the rotation)
You are assigned to one of three teams for a month. Every month you switch, so you will be working with all three teams during the 12 weeks. One team is general surgery, another team is general surgery + urology, and the last team is general surgery + vascular + plastics. Rounds are in the morning at 6, and morning report occurs around...6:45/7. Residents might ask to help take down vitals for the patient list before rounds begin. After that, people do one of three things. Scrub into a morning case, help out on the floors, or go to clinic.

If you are scrubbing in to a morning case, you usually head there after morning report(get a quick bite to eat!). Before the case begins, you can usually talk to the patient and look at imaging with the resident. Scrub nurses are for the most part ok, some you might need time for them to warm up to you. Attendings for the most part are nice, but occasionally some get annoyed if you don't move the laparoscopic camera in the right spot, or retract properly. Which by the way, is a lot of what the med student does. Drive the laparoscopic camera, retract, and suction. At the end of the case, the resident might let you try suturing if you shown that you are capable and help with staples.
If you are helping out on the floors, you can usually get something to eat, and go back up and change wounds, take out sutures, and other things.
If you are going to clinic, you have more time to relax considering it starts at 9. Every day there is a different clinic, and in my opinion, it's a great experience seeing things from the outpatient side. Some attending let you take the H+P and present to them, which is great.

One week of night float, where you see consults and help in the ICU. Personally, I wish more of this was done during the regular rotation, seeing as I learned a ton during this week :|

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.