PDA

View Full Version : Brazil's Science without Borders Program

emmanuelptorres
11-28-2012, 01:42 AM
Hi everyone!

My name is Emmanuel, I'm from Brazil and I study here at a brazilian medical school. Currently, there's a brazilian government's scholarship program that is taking brazilian students to study abroad for one whole year around the globe. Students can take a range of good courses at the respective chosen schools (schools are chosen by brazilian government, not by you. actually, you only choose country) and they expect us to engage in research there. Every year, they open many positions to brazilian students and the official calls whose academic year starts in september of 2013 have just been launched.

I have two countries in mind, but I can only choose one. The countries in question are: United Kingdom and Hungary. UK is all about english. It will be a great opportunity to improve my english speaking skills. Although, maybe it's good for my carreer since I want to do medical residency at US, I still have doubts about UK being the best choice. Unfortunately, going there will not guarantee me that I'll study at the best medical school or that I'll have the best opportunity to research because, in general (UK, USA, AUSTRALIA, ETC), they are more closed in relation to that. Hungary, despite of not being so rich as UK, seems to be nice for me not only because of the experience in eastern europe and its proximity to so exotic and beautiful countries such as Croatia and Romenia, but also because her apparent hospitality in giving international students of graduation better or more qualified opportunities in research or, at least, more focused and planned training in Hungary than in UK, since UK research groups tend to be bigger. On top of all that, I can learn another language during my stay in Hungary by taking hungarian language course in my free time. Am I correct in these considerations? What do you guys think of it?

regards

Emmanuel

PS: I almost forgot to tell that Pécs and Debrecen are the only two hugarian medical schools that are envolved in this program of exchange.

african_child
11-29-2012, 12:42 PM
I am baffled you're even deciding between these two. Isn't the better choice obvious? :(

emmanuelptorres
11-29-2012, 03:19 PM
No. It's not that obvious. By saying that...you mean that the best option is...?

emmanuelptorres
11-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Hungary seems to be exotic and incredible for me and better than UK. But I'm not so sure yet.

Arb
12-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Hi Emmanuel

I think, you should go to UK. There are pros and cons for both but pros for UK outweigh that of Hungary.

Pros for UK:

1) Better reputation - Worldwide
2) Societal standards for justice and fairness are high. So if you experience problems in or outside of school, you can expect timely help and support.
3) Multicultural society - you will feel at ease.
4) English being an international language; you don't struggle communicating with people.
5) Higher competition will strengthen your character and polish your medical skills

....and many more

Pros for Hungary:

1) Affordable
2) Less competition
3) Nice and Peaceful?
4) ...................
5) ...................

Others can fill in the above blanks. I honestly can't think of other pros, at the moment, in comparison to UK.

african_child
12-04-2012, 12:19 AM
The only advantage, ever, that studying in Hungary has over the UK is the cost of both tuition and living. Even the latter is arguable since it can reach that of the UK if you opt to live a lavish lifestyle. But this is not your concern, as I'm made to believe it's your government footing the bills.
If you're in your clinical years, then don't even consider coming to Hungary. I mean, I dunno the type of agreement your country has with Hungary. But if you're going to be considered like any other international student taking courses and hospital practices w/ us, then you won't learn as much as if you opted for the UK. Except if you're specifically going to be appointed your own doctor who you work together with and who shows genuine interest in teaching you, you won't learn anything useful.
As for research, this is a no-brainer. Any research coming out of the UK naturally weighs heavier on the international level than that coming from some obscure eastern European country. And since you wish to work in the US later, I'm sure any programme director would be more impressed with your one year of medical education in the UK than Hungary (again, mostly perceived as some shady eastern European country of little or no repute.)
Go to the UK for your education, even if it's not a popular medical school. By virtue of it being located in the UK already comes w/ glad tidings. Leave the "exotic" Hungary for your tour visit some day. Maybe one day when you're on your way to Croatia or Romania.
Good luck in your endeavours, mate.

emmanuelptorres
12-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Thank you, folks!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.