PDA

View Full Version : Clinical Rotations in Europe

AlmostMDS
10-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Hello,

Currently I am an American student attending a Caribbean medical school going to enter my 3rd semester. For semester 5 we go to Chicago for the beginning of our rotation series and a Kaplan USMLE review. Seeing as how I do not believe I am fully prepared for the USMLE, would it hurt me to apply to do my rotations in the UK while I prepare for my USMLE? I know there is an exam I would have to take there, but seeing as rotation spots are already limited and even smaller for Caribbean applicants I want to weight my options. Does any one have any information on that process or a website I can look into and discover information on my own? Last question, if all goes well and I can go to the UK and decide to practice medicine until I am a full fledged physician in their system, when coming back to America how long will my residency be? Thanks guys!

-AlmostMDS

devildoc8404
10-23-2012, 11:54 AM
I have no idea how the school thing would work with your institution, and whether it has viable options in the UK or not. However, I can tell you that if you are not a UK or EU citizen, you will not be getting a residency position in the UK, even if your school is GMC approved and you pass the PLAB exam. That would be the case even if you studied in England! Unfortunately, it comes down to immigration issues on that, and non-UK/EU folks are not currently eligible for a work visa.

Even if you did find a way to complete training in the UK (married a UK citizen and found your way in through something like that), in almost every case your training would not be accepted in the US and you would need to match and complete residency all over again to work in the States. The only major exception to this would be GP training in the UK, which is (currently) eligible for direct reciprocity with the ABFM. There are a few other minor exceptions involving specific specialties/states, but they are very limited in scope. And no matter what, you'd still need to pass the USMLE Steps to work in the States.

Hope that helps a bit.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.