PDA

View Full Version : Saba or St. Matthews University

pumkinpatch
10-14-2012, 03:50 PM
I know that there has been discussion on this before, but it was from 2004 or around that time. I was wondering what other people thought on the subject. I have been accepted into both schools, but I am not sure which one I want to choose. I am from Michigan and hope to come back home for clinicals and to practice. I have seen a lot of negativity on SMU, but I am not sure if it is bitter students. I also read that SABA just changed school officials and that things are different there. Please feel free to shed light on the matter.

benevolo
10-17-2012, 09:51 PM
I know that there has been discussion on this before, but it was from 2004 or around that time. I was wondering what other people thought on the subject. I have been accepted into both schools, but I am not sure which one I want to choose. I am from Michigan and hope to come back home for clinicals and to practice. I have seen a lot of negativity on SMU, but I am not sure if it is bitter students. I also read that SABA just changed school officials and that things are different there. Please feel free to shed light on the matter.
First off should you even be going to an offshore school when there will be very few residency positions available to you by the time you graduate?

Second do you want to go to SMU or Saba, neither of which offer good financial support options at the moment?

If neither of those are issues for you then Saba is the winner with 50 state approval.

jacobyellz
10-17-2012, 11:30 PM
It is just bitter students.

With SABA you can practice in all 50 states. You also might get better residencies, although your ultimate success at both schools depends on how hard you work. The island SMU is located on is much nicer. SMU might be cheaper. You have to basically decide this yourself.

As far as fewer residency positions being offered when you graduate. Thats **. They've been saying that for 25 years. They have all sorts of ** studies out there. You do well, and you will be fine.

devildoc8404
10-18-2012, 01:28 AM
As far as fewer residency positions being offered when you graduate. Thats **. They've been saying that for 25 years. They have all sorts of ** studies out there. You do well, and you will be fine.

Numbers-wise, it's not pie-in-the-sky to plan for fewer residency positions in the coming 5 years. There are increasing numbers of US medical schools. Their graduates will not exist in a vacuum.

Does that mean that no foreign grads will match? Of course not. But with more US grads in the mix, it will certainly increase competition. To simply say "It's been like this for 25 years, so it will always be like this" isn't really an argument. Stuff changes. Policies change. Numbers change.

Precisely for that reason, I would choose SABA over SMU to maximize the number of potential residency positions available.

pumkinpatch
10-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Numbers-wise, it's not pie-in-the-sky to plan for fewer residency positions in the coming 5 years. There are increasing numbers of US medical schools. Their graduates will not exist in a vacuum.

Does that mean that no foreign grads will match? Of course not. But with more US grads in the mix, it will certainly increase competition. To simply say "It's been like this for 25 years, so it will always be like this" isn't really an argument. Stuff changes. Policies change. Numbers change.

Precisely for that reason, I would choose SABA over SMU to maximize the number of potential residency positions available.

thanks for the advice but i just got into ross. I no longer have to decide between these two schools, but thank you anyways.

jacobyellz
10-18-2012, 09:36 AM
thanks for the advice but i just got into ross. I no longer have to decide between these two schools, but thank you anyways.

Congrats on Ross and you should def go there! Wherever you go, if you work hard and do well, you are going to match. Ross is an excellent choice though.

seattle
10-19-2012, 01:54 PM

Congrats on getting into Ross. My only comment would be to think about what type of environment you feel most comfortable. The incoming class sizes at Ross are well into the hundreds with a lot dropping out. At Saba the class will be no more than around 110 students maximum. The school is small, the island is small and everyone gets to know one another well including faculty/student relations. Personally, Saba was a winner for me just given the size, not the mention very good preparation throughout the program. It is a TOUGH school to say the least....but if school size is not a big deal..well then congrats on Ross!

I agree with the others....between SMU and Saba....Saba is the winner. With more US grads from medical school and new D.O. programs popping up...the competition will be stiffer in the coming years for sure.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.