PDA

View Full Version : Best hospital for an easy UK surgery rotation?

ScubaV
10-09-2012, 04:35 PM
I'll be doing my surgery rotation as my very last rotation in Feb/Mar/Apr next year. I have no interest in surgery and half the reason I'm doing it in the UK is because everyone says it is laid back. Is there any particular hospital that would be better than the others? I just want to get through my 12 weeks as quickly and painlessly as possible, maybe do some traveling and then come home and get ready for residency.

stateofequilibrium
10-11-2012, 01:21 AM
If I may ask, what residency are you shooting for?

ScubaV
10-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Pathology. I have some interest in seeing how specimens are cut the way they are in terms of margins and orientation and the like. But a 14+ hour day with surgeries where I'm looking over a resident's shoulder or holding fat pads has minimal value.

LinkMoto
10-11-2012, 05:29 PM
That's the case with MOST specialties, haha. I was bored to tears on my surgery rotation :(

andrewjsl
10-11-2012, 08:22 PM
I was at Queen's in Romford and it was pretty laid back, but then again, I've heard most hospitals in the UK have a pretty chill surgery rotation. I started at 9 am and ended anywhere between 2 and 4 pm. Definitely way easier than in the US!

I'll be doing my surgery rotation as my very last rotation in Feb/Mar/Apr next year. I have no interest in surgery and half the reason I'm doing it in the UK is because everyone says it is laid back. Is there any particular hospital that would be better than the others? I just want to get through my 12 weeks as quickly and painlessly as possible, maybe do some traveling and then come home and get ready for residency.

LinkMoto
10-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Aww, I wish I did surgery in the UK, that sounds so awesome.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.