PDA

View Full Version : Question on 80% class attendance

TXRN
09-08-2004, 07:35 AM
What are the consequences of not having 80% of the class attendance?
Does it count into the class grades?

drzed
09-08-2004, 08:05 AM

Apparently, if the 80% class attendance is not met, they will fail you!!

MrE
09-08-2004, 09:00 AM
yeah but that's not actually true. They have to have this rule for approval from a/some states for clinicals or something like that.

TXRN
09-08-2004, 09:34 AM

Apparently, if the 80% class attendance is not met, they will fail you!!

Really?????

ansgenius
09-08-2004, 10:51 AM
They told us they might fail you, but if you do fail, or are borderline, they'll take your attendance into consideration when they consider giving you a retest. Consult your syllabus. Also, they told us that the 80% rule is required for a lot of states in licensing. Why risk it? Just show up.

drzed
09-08-2004, 11:56 AM
Why risk it? Just show up.

True dat - Preach on brotha!

You getting ***-whooped by the new Anatomy prof?? ;)

edit: hmm...funny, I type in a$$ and it shows up as gluteal...crazy stuff.

ansgenius
09-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Dude, we all are getting "gluteal" whooped. Thank god for the good people of the anatomy club. Much love. Anyone else think it's funny that we are reduced to using the word "gluteal" in place of profanity? I know, I know, terms of service, but still sometimes you gotta cut lose with a long string of expletives.

TXRN
09-14-2004, 03:24 PM
They told us they might fail you, but if you do fail, or are borderline, they'll take your attendance into consideration when they consider giving you a retest.

I think there is no more retest. If you fail the class, below 70%, you have to take and sit in the same class again. But, I don't really understand the system because some people did not sit in my class last term, but they showed up for the finals only.

stchrisrep
09-14-2004, 05:15 PM
I think there is no more retest. If you fail the class, below 70%, you have to take and sit in the same class again. But, I don't really understand the system because some people did not sit in my class last term, but they showed up for the finals only.

During the past 2 to 3 semesters, the 80% attendance policy was removed but it appears they're going back to the old system this semester.

Nebakanezer
09-15-2004, 12:41 AM

During the past 2 to 3 semesters, the 80% attendance policy was removed but it appears they're going back to the old system this semester.

So the "80% Rule" is going to be strictly inforced this semester? With the "80% Rule" being, Attendance below 80% = Fail?

No one around here seems to know exactly what is going on.

ansgenius
09-15-2004, 03:14 AM
Have you tried asking the profs? Seems to me, if you show up, you don't have anything to worry about.

Nebakanezer
09-15-2004, 08:19 AM
Have you tried asking the profs? Seems to me, if you show up, you don't have anything to worry about.
:roll: - Didn't you just start a few weeks ago? Give it a few semesters, I guarantee that your opinion will change about how valuable attending lecture is.

drzed
09-15-2004, 09:05 AM

The profs don't often know the school policies themselves...in fact, no one else really knows either...lol.

ansgenius
09-15-2004, 09:52 AM
I don't think all the lectures are valuable. I still manage to show up everyday. I just do my work during the lecture rather than sitting at home worrying about an attendance policy.

drzed
09-15-2004, 11:40 AM
Being committed to attending lectures, despite the few apparent lack-lustre profs we have, shows determination, responsibility and maturity...we are, afterall, attending medical school. It's unfortunate that a good percentage of our students still haven't come to realize this....

:roll: - Didn't you just start a few weeks ago? Give it a few semesters, I guarantee that your opinion will change about how valuable attending lecture is.

Nebakanezer
09-15-2004, 01:30 PM
Being committed to attending lectures, despite the few apparent lack-lustre profs we have, shows determination, responsibility and maturity...we are, afterall, attending medical school. It's unfortunate that a good percentage of our students still haven't come to realize this....
Ah, yes, I can just feel the maturity:

http://www.valuemd.com/viewtopic.php?t=24033

Nah, that smell should be familiar. I had intercourse with your mom and forgot to shower. Let's see how long before this post gets deleted or the thread gets closed.

ansgenius
09-15-2004, 02:00 PM
Yes I must be an immature punk, because a messageboard is indicative of real life. And the post has been edited per moderator request. Thank you for judging me and pointing out the error of my ways.

thethom
09-15-2004, 02:45 PM
Don't hate Finiteuni...a lil makin' fun of someone you know is an entirely different thing. What we're talkin about is maturity when it comes to one's career...thats the important thing...you'll learn...

Nebakanezer
09-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Both of your have been in medical school for what, less than a month? And you think you definitively know what professional maturity is and what one should/shouldn't do to be successful in medical school? :roll:

One of the worst things about the incoming class every semester is that the pre-med mentality hasn't been beaten out of them yet. Hopefully after the first or second exam that will change. If not, I am sure they will be repeating 1st semester, like many before them, and most likely, many after them.

TXRN
09-16-2004, 10:57 AM
So the "80% Rule" is going to be strictly inforced this semester? With the "80% Rule" being, Attendance below 80% = Fail?

No one around here seems to know exactly what is going on.

Good questions. Does the BOSS know the answers to the above questions?

stchrisrep
09-16-2004, 01:04 PM
Good questions. Does the BOSS know the answers to the above questions?

According to the first semester students, the director laid down the
rules at orientation and told them about the 80% attendance policy.

thethom
09-17-2004, 05:03 AM
Both of your have been in medical school for what, less than a month? And you think you definitively know what professional maturity is and what one should/shouldn't do to be successful in medical school? :roll:

One of the worst things about the incoming class every semester is that the pre-med mentality hasn't been beaten out of them yet. Hopefully after the first or second exam that will change. If not, I am sure they will be repeating 1st semester, like many before them, and most likely, many after them.

Sure we've been in medical school for a few weeks, but we've been in school all our lives. Every year the curriculum becoming a bit more intensive. Its quite obvious that we will need to work harder and spend more time on our work than in undergrad.

And about the pre-med mentality, yeh yeh, we all talked about the incoming high school students like that back in undergrad. Yet they still all managed to gradute. Same goes for 1st year med students. Sure we don't have the experience you do, but everyone gets experience, so think twice before condemning people you don't know, to failure. I def don't see you "acing" everything...

Ya know, i think you could be a nice guy, maybe you should think about mentoring some kids around the Luton area...

neilc
09-17-2004, 09:17 AM
[quote="thethom"]

And about the pre-med mentality, yeh yeh, we all talked about the incoming high school students like that back in undergrad. Yet they still all managed to gradute. Same goes for 1st year med students. Sure we don't have the experience you do, but everyone gets experience, so think twice before condemning people you don't know, to failure. I def don't see you "acing" everything...
[quote]

you will be in for a very rude awakening if you think that every student (or even most in many cases) will graduate from an offshore school, pass the usmle, and get a job....the attrition rate at my school is ridiculous, and pretty much every school has a far higher attrition rate than you will have ever encountered in undergrad or high school...

uni has been around, had headaches with his school, stuck it out and learned a bunch...i would strongly advise paying close attention to what upperclassman have to say. learn from them

ansgenius
09-17-2004, 09:30 AM
God help me if that was my only source of upperclassman advice. I know other upperclassmen, people who are much more helpful and supportive. Infinite, have you considered becoming a big brother here at St Chris? You could teach us valuable lessons like how to skip class, and how to complain about your school on a public messageboard. Or... you could just line us up and using your infinite wisdom, point out which of us will fail, since you possess the ability to see right through the messageboard and through the computer into reality and judge posters. I know it would save me a year of tuition. Maybe you could walk me to the train station yourself.

Nebakanezer
09-17-2004, 10:21 AM
Maybe you could walk me to the train station yourself.

If only **** would let me...

ansgenius
09-17-2004, 08:19 PM

If only ***** would let me...
And this is the type of upperclassman I should be listening to? With advisors like these, who needs enemies? You maybe want to rethink your advice, Neil?

FrenchFrie
09-17-2004, 08:50 PM
According to the first semester students, the director laid down the
rules at orientation and told them about the 80% attendance policy.

what a great rep........

neilc
09-17-2004, 10:17 PM

If only ***** would let me...
And this is the type of upperclassman I should be listening to? With advisors like these, who needs enemies? You maybe want to rethink your advice, Neil?

not really. sounds like a pee-pee contest between some newbies and an upperclassman. and, out of the pee-pee contestants, one of them has at least made it this far. i may not agree with everything infiniteuni has said over the years, but he seems straightforward, which is much more than i can say for the vast majority of the st. chris posters here. he seems to ruffle feathers, sure..but, he is making it. and, he is making it despite not conforming to what your schools dodgy admin wants him to do/say. i think that is quite an accomplishment.

and, who cares about skipping class? i see you have mentioned that once or twice....really, the first lesson in med school is to manage time. if time can be better spent outside class, than screw that class.

the best advice is to put your head down and work. now is the time to focus on usmle and get your head into medicine...

ansgenius
09-18-2004, 04:10 AM
and, who cares about skipping class? i see you have mentioned that once or twice....really, the first lesson in med school is to manage time. if time can be better spent outside class, than screw that class.

the best advice is to put your head down and work. now is the time to focus on usmle and get your head into medicine...

Out of all the upperclassmen to pick from for advice, why choose one who wants me to fail? Believe me, he doesn't represent the vast majority of upperclassmen. And believe it or not, not all of them are lackeys of the school. And as for skipping classes, who cares? The school does. Otherwise they wouldn't have instituted an 80% attendance policy. If I can manage to show up for class everyday, anyone can. Who knows? By showing up to class, you might learn something. Eventually, you gotta get used to the long hours anyway. It only gets worse from here, even a lowly 1st semester knows that. And I agree, Infinite has made it this far, props to him, but I would rather be more known for contributing to the school and doing well, rather than be that guy everyone knows for posting negative things about his school, without doing much to rectify the situation.

dt
09-18-2004, 09:31 AM
... And I agree, Infinite has made it this far, props to him, but I would rather be more known for contributing to the school and doing well, rather than be that guy everyone knows for posting negative things about his school, without doing much to rectify the situation.

Better to believe InfiniteUni's postings than, say, mtt's.

How can you confidently really know that InfiniteUni did not try to help improve the school?

And, what situation at St. Chris needs rectifying?

neilc
09-18-2004, 10:19 AM
well, the school only wants to enforce the 8o hours for licensing rules. trust me, they dont care if you are there, they want your tuition, and it is up to you to learn, just like every other school out there.

and, i don't see infinite wanting you to fail, i see him telling you to watch it, and that he has seen others fail.

he at least has demonstrated that he is trustworthy. he states the truth. very, very few have done that from st chris. and, i am sure his "reputation" at the school is because the lackeys and the admin do not like him making waves.

at a real school, nobody would even care about somebody posting truths (i dont see him running around ******* on the school, like you are implying). people would likely be happy that something was getting done. instead, st chris tries to hide or spin every little thing, and it is refreshing to see him face things and admit to them

Nebakanezer
09-18-2004, 01:23 PM
Believe me, he doesn't represent the vast majority of upperclassmen. And believe it or not, not all of them are lackeys of the school.

I should get down on bended knee every night and thank the powers that be that I am not representative of the vast majority of the upperclassmen.

First off, you have the Lackeys, which are mentioned above. These guys slurp the admin. every chance they get, and have the integrity of a used car salesmen. They will say/do anything to get what they want, including lying. They most likely realize the true nature of the situation around them, or are truly delusional and actually believe the stuff they spew. I wouldn't be surprised if they would sell there own mothers for a nickel. I don't honestly know how they sleep at night, or how they can't not look over there shoulders all the time for fear of being struck down by a bolt from the sky for all the scheming they do. These are the people I wish would burst into flames, saving everyone a lot of trouble.

Secondly you have the Ostriches. These are the people who just stick there head in the sand and completely ignore all the crap that goes on around them. In there opinion, ignorance is truly bliss. If they don't know about it, it can't hurt them. They study and do what needs to be done, but readily accept when the admin. pulls their pants down and changes them from a tight end into a wide receiver. This behavior is most likely a function of there personality, being shy or introverted, you can't really fault them for it.

Thirdly you have the Apathetics. They readily realize the nature of the situation but choose to do nothing about it. They figure that no matter what they do, it won't make any difference. However, they enjoy complaining about it to all there classmates. To them, it doesn't make any difference if other people get sucked into the void, as misery loves company. Most of these people are chronically pissed off and love to bitch. They will resist the admin. if they try to fuck them from behind, but won't do anything to change or better the situation. In my opinion this group is the second worst as they could do something but are either too lazy or too weak to do anything.

The fourth and smallest group are the Catalysts. These people recognize that the situation is ugly and do there best to help or bring about change. This group has two subtypes, those who work within the system, and those who don't. The ones that work within the system are typically the good class reps, AMSA officers, *insert leadership position here*. Not to be confused with the Lackeys who take these position to further there own agenda. Catalysts make an actual effort to help everyone else at the expense of themselves. Some of the people in this group are pragmatists and accept that even little improvements are better than nothing given the system despite monumental effort. The rest that work from within the system end up dissatisfied with the lack of improvement and end up as Apathetics. Those who work outside the system realize how flawed and inept administration can be, so they avoid it all together and work to help people in other ways. I fall into this group.

I would rather be more known for contributing to the school and doing well, rather than be that guy everyone knows for posting negative things about his school, without doing much to rectify the situation.

When people don't like one thing that you do they have a tendency to focus on that and ignore everything else. When was the last time you said something nice about someone you didn't like? For the first two semesters I was here, I was the one who maintained all the student computer systems and wireless Internet for the college. For the entire time I have been at the college, I have been tech. support for most of the student body, repairing dozens of computers over the last 4 semesters. All of this was pro bono. I have also tutored a number of students, with some of it being pro bono. If this isn't contributing, I don't know what is.

Also, I don't post negative things about the school. I post the truth. It is personal perception of whether it is positive or negative. When I post the truth on this message board, I am only providing the counterpoint to the Lackeys that post nothing but lies on here. People don't like it when I post the truth because they believe it hurts the school. I can understand that some people have a lot riding on this school, but it doesn't mean that we should just ignore the truth and let people lie and misrepresent our college to make it look better than it is. If the school can actually be injured by posting the truth, then there is something seriously wrong going on.

Furthermore, what looks worse for the school, the truth which may not be pretty, or a lie that gets uncovered? In the end, posting the truth only helps the school as it means incoming students are going to know exactly what is going on before they get here. The people who are thinking about attending St. Chris should also know exactly what they are getting themselves into so they won't find an ugly surprise waiting for them when they get here, or when they try to get licensed someday in the future. If people were being lied to, wouldn't you feel a responsibility to let those people know the truth? If not, I suggest you reconsider your intended profession.

well, the school only wants to enforce the 8o hours for licensing rules. trust me, they dont care if you are there, they want your tuition, and it is up to you to learn, just like every other school out there.

Couldn't have said it better myself. If they are so concerned about the 80% rule, why didn't they keep track of attendance for last semester? The semester before that? Because they aren't concerned, they just have to look good for NY when they come for inspection in Nov.

i don't see infinite wanting you to fail, i see him telling you to watch it, and that he has seen others fail.

Hit the nail on the head!

i am sure his "reputation" at the school is because the lackeys and the admin do not like him making waves.

Bingo!

ansgenius
09-18-2004, 02:39 PM
It doesn't matter why the school wants the 80% attendance policy. It's there, deal with it. You know what? Fine, you win. After this post, you can have the last word. Watch this: Props to you for running the computer systems, and props to you for tutoring. Did you see that? I said something nice about someone I don't like. And too bad some of you don't know mtt in real life. He's one of the best guys I know, and he's done nothing but help me. I'm proud to call him a friend. And believe me, if you haven't figured out who I am by now, you will eventually. I'll be one of the "catalysts."

Nebakanezer
09-18-2004, 03:45 PM
It doesn't matter why the school wants the 80% attendance policy. It's there, deal with it.
If the school wanted you to lie, would you do it? I bet my left hand you would. Stop being such a sheep, just accepting/regurgitating party rhetoric, think for yourself.

And too bad some of you don't know mtt in real life. He's one of the best guys I know, and he's done nothing but help me. I'm proud to call him a friend.
Ah, the truth reveals itself. No wonder you decided to make a snide remark in response to my asking a simple question. If you are Mtt's friend, no further explanation is needed, one only needs to know what kind of company he keeps to understand why.

I would provide my personal opinion on what Mtt is like in real life, but in doing so I would violate the TOS of this particular site. I think you will find that most people on this forum have a similar, if not the same opinion of him.

And believe me, if you haven't figured out who I am by now, you will eventually. I'll be one of the "catalysts."
Why would I care to figure out who you are? I have no interest in you or any of your ilk. If you could actually bring about any change at our school, I would be truly surprised if it wasn't entirely self-serving or misguided, like those you idolize. Maybe you will do something in the best interests of our school, time will tell, but I don't think anyone will be holding their breath.

rangness
09-18-2004, 04:15 PM
Hey...leave the Sheep out of this. Sheep are kind creatures....what did they ever do to you?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.