PDA

View Full Version : On Island students: Confirm/Deny NVAO approval official?

maladdy85
09-28-2012, 02:29 PM
So yes, the rumor mill extends across the ocean now. From my desk in the states I heard murmurs from the island that NVAO approval became official today. Can someone on island (with legitimate confirmation like from Dr. L or equivalent) confirm or deny this please?

maladdy85
09-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Super! Rumor confirmed as true. From the mouth of the Dean of students Dr. B: Saba is now an NVAO approved school.

And here we are in the NVAO database http://search.nvao.net/search-detail-institution/349

siheg
09-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Super! Rumor confirmed as true. From the mouth of the Dean of students Dr. B: Saba is now an NVAO approved school.

Congrats.

Now us over at Sint Eustatius await the news....

buddababa
09-28-2012, 07:35 PM
What does this mean?

maladdy85
10-01-2012, 11:42 AM
The 10.10.10 change in government meant that Saba University's charter would expire since the island was no longer self governing (well technically group governing with other islands), and a school needs a charter from the country in which it is located to stay in operation. No charter means no IMED listing means you can't take the USMLE means you can't practice in the U.S.. Now, Saba island is technically a Dutch protectorate, meaning that a new charter needed to be obtained from the Dutch for the school to stay in operation. To obtain a charter from the Netherlands, the school needed to be approved in academic equivalency by the Dutch education body (in this case the NVAO), a task that is a lot harder to do than obtain approval by a small island government because the Dutch have high standards (which is why some of the other Caribbean schools affected by the 10.10.10 change over are sweating it a bit). So approval by NVAO means Saba U can continue to operate as an IMED listed school under the new government. Second benefit, this means Saba is now recognized as a European medical school instead of a Caribbean one. Where this fact has benefits is under the umbrella of equivalencies. If the Dutch standards for accrediting medical schools are considered equivalent to U.S. standards by the department of education, this will streamline the process of gaining access to federal loans for Saba students since Saba's academic standards will already be considered equivalent to U.S. standards since they are considered equivalent under Dutch standards (if A=B and B=C then A=C..........). This also may allow Saba students to apply for medical training/residencies in Europe and potentially sit for the European licensing exam, though I am not 100% positive about this last point, I still need to research it some more. Hope this makes sense.

Sabastudentspouse
10-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Also if Saba gains access to federal loans, we will for sure see the tuition fee double like the other Caribbean medical schools...

ashash62289
10-23-2012, 07:19 PM
I wonder how much longer it will take for Saba University to finally receive student FEDERAL loans since it's now NVAO approved.....

Sabastudentspouse
10-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Some students spoke to the dean and every year he says they are working on it. So basically, we don't know

ashash62289
10-24-2012, 10:19 AM
That's bull. I wonder who could tell us more accurate info. on the subject. explain why it keeps being delayed. i know something important just got approved earlier this month due to an act of congress, but i am not sure what.

sgMD
10-24-2012, 04:33 PM
are you guys already saba students or applicants?

the majority of students on saba are from canada, so if they get federal loans, the tuition will increase by god knows how much so canadian students wouldnt be able to afford saba anymore so they wont go there anymore... american students have already 3 other options of schools to go to with federal loans: Ross, AUC and SGU. Why can't you go to those schools and let Saba attract its Canadian students and keep the tuition low? just saying, if you are wondering why they dont answer you maybe they dont want to lose the canadian students... and if you have 3 other options to go to, why complaining?

ashash62289
10-25-2012, 06:12 PM
SGU is way too expensive, Ross has a class size of 500, and AUC is much harder to get into than Saba!

sgMD
10-25-2012, 06:18 PM
SGU is way too expensive, Ross has a class size of 500, and AUC is much harder to get into than Saba!

AUC is much harder than Saba for admissions??????
Students who don't survive on Saba transfer to AUC left and right!!!! This isn't true...

robertdeutsch
10-29-2012, 03:32 PM
AUC is much harder than Saba for admissions??????
Students who don't survive on Saba transfer to AUC left and right!!!! This isn't true...

SgMD, I applied to both saba and AUC. I would consider my stats decent (3.6 scGPA, 26MCAT after being out of college for 4 years and taking no prep courses). I didnt have a full year of physics (only 1 sem w/ lab) and AUC wouldnt even process my app. Saba accepted me within days.

I'd guess I'm saying sometimes there are "extenuating circumstances" that could lead a US student to SABA (such as my case). I would consider transferring to AUC if it were possible in the future. but I'm not sure if that could happen because I still dont have that physics. While I would enjoy the fed loans, I def wouldn't want to take away from a Canadian student's opportunity. It all equals out in the end I'm told though when you factor in the interest, etc.

Do canadian students qualify for the same loans at Ross/SGU/AUC? I've wondered that after reading the posts about finaid.

I am glad to see they got the approval. Is this approval only applicable to saba or are most of the carib schools going that route?

benevolo
11-01-2012, 01:55 PM
SgMD, I applied to both saba and AUC. I would consider my stats decent (3.6 scGPA, 26MCAT after being out of college for 4 years and taking no prep courses). I didnt have a full year of physics (only 1 sem w/ lab) and AUC wouldnt even process my app. Saba accepted me within days.

I'd guess I'm saying sometimes there are "extenuating circumstances" that could lead a US student to SABA (such as my case). I would consider transferring to AUC if it were possible in the future. but I'm not sure if that could happen because I still dont have that physics. While I would enjoy the fed loans, I def wouldn't want to take away from a Canadian student's opportunity. It all equals out in the end I'm told though when you factor in the interest, etc.

Do canadian students qualify for the same loans at Ross/SGU/AUC? I've wondered that after reading the posts about finaid.

I am glad to see they got the approval. Is this approval only applicable to saba or are most of the carib schools going that route?
Schools are accredited by the countries in which they reside. Saba just happened to become part of the Netherlands so they are the only one that can receive Dutch accreditation (along with the other schools in the BES islands).

sgMD
11-01-2012, 02:11 PM
I had a much harder time getting admitted to Saba for the semester I wanted to start the program than with AUC, but this is 2 years ago, things might have changed!

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.