PDA

View Full Version : Student demographics

belkeno2k3
09-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Just curious... please can anyone help with what the students demographics look like in terms of race. Are there Africans there at all? coz I hardly see blacks in the school pictures and videos. Tnx

Intrepid1
09-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Just curious... please can anyone help with what the students demographics look like in terms of race. Are there Africans there at all? coz I hardly see blacks in the school pictures and videos. Tnx

There aren't many black students at Saba. They're a minority. My 5th semester class that finished Basic Sciences last April had two.

belkeno2k3
09-20-2012, 12:00 AM
thanks for heads-up... I heard the population of Saba is 1500; does this include locals or is it just the stat for students & faculty?

seattle
09-20-2012, 09:14 AM
The number of admitted students has changed over the years from 30 in semester 1 during 1997 to about 110 students nowdays. Although the attrition varies somewhat and some will get held back a semester here or there; the total student population is reasonably estimated to be around 400. From the website you can assume the total full-time faculty is 26, not including several administrative people in the office. The school population should therefore be around 426+. I do not know what the local population would be, but it is one of the smallest of the Caribbean islands where a medical school is located.

In terms of your original question on the percentage of "African" students on the island (obviously I assume African-Americans as opposed to those from Africa), you are correct in that unless demographics changed drastically from the time I was there years ago, the African-American student population is very small. In my class I only remember 2 black students in semester 1. I don't know where you are going with this question, but I will say that the students in general are very friendly and helpful to each other across the semesters and I never heard of any major race issues. Semester 1 is always a bit of a drama as people are new and excited and there were some Canadian male students in a group that viewed themselves as academically superior to anyone else and treated the Indian faculty in Gross Anatomy as inferior (not directly but it was obvious) and this caused some major waves including a faculty lecture to our class one time. But other than that, honestly you would find this school very friendly.

belkeno2k3
09-20-2012, 11:00 PM
I truly appreciate your feedback... I don't plan to visit school prior to start date (Jan. '13) so I just want to know what to expect when I arrive. I don't anticipate racial problems at all and I'm not bothered at all about people being friendly or not, so no worries at all. My questions are basically to give me an idea of what the student population consist of; residents also and also to get a feel of what it's gonna be like over there, at least to get myself prepared. Your response(s) have been quite informative; I have more coming and hope you will continue to be helpful. Tnx

sgMD
09-23-2012, 09:41 AM
I truly appreciate your feedback... I don't plan to visit school prior to start date (Jan. '13) so I just want to know what to expect when I arrive. I don't anticipate racial problems at all and I'm not bothered at all about people being friendly or not, so no worries at all. My questions are basically to give me an idea of what the student population consist of; residents also and also to get a feel of what it's gonna be like over there, at least to get myself prepared. Your response(s) have been quite informative; I have more coming and hope you will continue to be helpful. Tnx

if you dont care then why do you ask? no need to pretend... be honest!

belkeno2k3
09-23-2012, 07:41 PM
care about what? thanks for mentioning that there's no need to pretend. Why will anyone want to pretend on this forum; this not like fb where u get to see people's pictures or sth. My screen name is nothing like my real name either; it's not like anyone will get to identify me once I show up in school so why on earth will i want to pretend about my intentions? If I had concerns about racism or people being unfriendly, I would have bluntly expressed my fears and no one will penalize me in any way for doing so; so why on earth will u think I'm pretending. This is not the only question I've asked on this forum; I'm concerned and do need information over a number of things but not about racism or unfriendliness bcos I don't care abt those - they don't exist in my own little world. Really do not like such accusations, honestly...

All the same, tnx for ur initial response; at least now I have a little idea of what the student body and Island population seem like. Really excited that I will get to network & make friends outside my usual circle. tk care!

sgMD
09-27-2012, 03:02 PM
you come here and ask about the race and friendliness and then you say you don't care about race nor friendliness... honestly I dunno what to say...

Intrepid1
09-27-2012, 03:26 PM
sgMD, I think the OP was just curious. There's nothing wrong with asking about campus diversity.

belkeno2k3
09-27-2012, 07:41 PM
dear sgMD, there's really nothing for you to say here... Yes, I asked about race (not racial problems/racism) and I did not ask about friendliness - u can re-read my original post to check. It's ok if someone misunderstands my motives for asking my question, but for someone to say that I'm pretending even after clarifying my [email protected]#!.... that doesn't go down well with me. The issue of pretense shouldn't be brought up in this forum bcos it doesn't make any sense at all. Like I mentioned earlier, I won't get any form of penalty if I express concerns about racism or friendliness, so I don't see why you would think I'm trying to pretend.

Pls let's forget about this issue & move on. My question about demographics in terms of race and population have been answered. Thanks to all who were of help. I have some other unanswered questions outside this thread. I'm sure u can be of help there (also to other people and their questions). Thanks!

belkeno2k3
09-27-2012, 07:44 PM
sgMD, I think the OP was just curious. There's nothing wrong with asking about campus diversity.

tnx Intrepid for ur backup!

Can't wait to start speaking those slangs .."OP"... lol

sgMD
09-29-2012, 11:12 AM
how is the weather down there? .... not that I care about the weather, I actually dont care about the weather....

sgMD
09-29-2012, 11:18 AM
ps: my problem is with pretentious people... just ask about the racial demographics and get your answer.... no need to play pretentious saying that you dont care about what you are asking because quite frankly you do care and thats why you are asking.... stand by your question, no need to hide things from anybody.. practice honesty.... we are not admission officers, we are your future colleagues...

belkeno2k3
09-29-2012, 02:11 PM
ps: my problem is with pretentious people... just ask about the racial demographics and get your answer.... no need to play pretentious saying that you dont care about what you are asking because quite frankly you do care and thats why you are asking.... stand by your question, no need to hide things from anybody.. practice honesty.... we are not admission officers, we are your future colleagues...

lol... it's ok if u want to remain on this issue but honestly sgMD, dwelling on this deviates from d purpose of this forum. I believe this forum is to help provide information & insight to others, not to attack people. If u insist that I'm pretending, that's fine, unfortunately there's nothing u can do about it. While u continue to dwell on this, I won't mind if u can attempt to tackle some questions on d other threads that I'm not being "pretentious" about. Pls check the following threads: "checklist for incoming students", "dorms", "another book questn", "internet access & phone service". I'm sure ur answers will go a long way in helping... tnx!

sgMD
09-29-2012, 02:25 PM
I will gladly do as I have for the past two years :) ...

it's always frightening that someone cant take the slightest criticism... it's a weakness not being able to stand by your question and trying to sugar quote your purpose of asking a question... it's like asking 'what procedure we are doing?' in the OR and following it by 'not that I don't know what we are doing but I am just asking'... you will have tons of fun in med school as a student... OR you can learn something from this and try to take it as a constructive criticism... I respond because I care!

macrollys
10-04-2012, 10:00 AM
I think whom in your colegue are not important we all are god child and all are our freinds & only one religon humanity

10-08-2012, 01:56 AM
Students Demographics would be the characteristics of the students... like ethnicity, and gender, age, etc.
In my point of view students are friendly and supporting pillars.I never heard of any race issues.

EdibleMetal
11-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Hey Belkeno,

I start in January 2013 too. Get. Excited. I look forward to meeting you and everyone else at Saba. "OP" is an acronym for "Original Poster" (i.e. you created this thread by originally posting your question about student body diversity at Saba, so you are the OP in this case). It's used a lot on message boards/forums. Whenever I see this acronym, I get a particular Naughty by Nature song stuck in my head for the rest of the day. But I digress...

belkeno2k3
11-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Hey Belkeno,

I start in January 2013 too. Get. Excited. I look forward to meeting you and everyone else at Saba. "OP" is an acronym for "Original Poster" (i.e. you created this thread by originally posting your question about student body diversity at Saba, so you are the OP in this case). It's used a lot on message boards/forums. Whenever I see this acronym, I get a particular Naughty by Nature song stuck in my head for the rest of the day. But I digress...

Lol... Thanks a lot ediblemetal, i figured out the acronym abt a week after my post abt it after seeing so many "originally posted". Initially, i thought OP was a medical slang for incoming students (was like, it shld be IC not OP, lol). Welcome on board! I'm really excited as well. Have u joined our facebook group? It's so kool, lots of our classmates are on it and all my unanswered questions on vmd have been answered on the page. "Saba university school of medicine - January 2013" check it out if u hvnt...

belkeno2k3
04-06-2013, 11:31 PM
so now that I'm in Saba, just incase any incoming student is wondering just like I did. For the student demographics; there are Africans but they are minority just like Intrepid & Seattle rightly pointed out. There's a lot of brown people (heard that term for the 1st time here in Saba) and then white people. In terms of age - for my class, I believe the average is 23-24 but the range should be like 21-50. A good number of married people... Seems like there's equal number of males & females, some say we have more males but I'm not really sure. Overall, the school is well mixed with different kinds of people, you will definitely find your type in terms of age, race, religion, single, married, etc. Most people here live in Canada, followed by US. A few came from England, etc. In addition the students (everyone) seem to be super super nice & friendly. The staff & locals are polite as well, based on my own experience.

sandyjay
04-07-2013, 06:59 AM
Intersting mix of people. Having read a SMU post on UK GMC acceptance of degree I hope the students from UK who want to practise in the UK are aware that their degree will not have the required 50percent of course completed in the country that confers the degree as
1. as of 2012 All students have to do a research project of 8 weeks in the Clinical section of the MD degree which makes the duration of the Clinical section 80 weeks as opposed to the Basic Science section which is 75 weeks duration . Unless the Research section is done on Saba island there is the possibility that UKGMC will not accept the degree for license.
2 SABA degree is not as yet recognised as EU medical degree so students will have to sit the PLAB exam

The most worrying aspect here is the 50:50 ratio where half of the course must be completed in the country that confers the degree which in this case is SABA

As SMU is the sister school of SABA and MUA it can be presumed that the school authorities are aware of this and have informed all UK students accordingly that there is a great possibility that their degree may not be acceptable to the UK GMC

Good Luck with your studies

belkeno2k3
08-03-2013, 08:19 PM
SABA degree has now been approved to be recognized by the EU

ElysionField
08-04-2013, 09:11 PM
SABA degree has now been approved to be recognized by the EU
Can you post the source?

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.