PDA

View Full Version : is it tough for Indian students to study medicine in Caribbean islands?

dhs1041
08-30-2012, 08:20 AM
hi i am new to this forum .i am Indian and have completed my 12th standard in science stream with bio,chemistry,physics in 2012 i want to study medicine in Caribbean cuz i want to practice in usa but i was advised by my friend who was us citizen and had studied medicine in caribbean that it would be though for you to study medicine in caribbean straight after 12th cuz most of student have completed pre med's before entering into md,so i want to know that will it be tough for me to study md directly cuz in india there is nothing like pre med,so shlould i go for pre med or directly for md pls or should go for mbbs in india but important thing is i want to practice in us and also advise me some good medical college in caribbean.also i am 18 yrs old so i was also told that most of student are of 23 or 25 yrs old so is this true cuz there would be huge age difference .pls reply fast i want to join from this year :confused: an is there any other option other than caribbean islands so that i could practice in usa?

cardiomegaly
08-30-2012, 08:23 AM
I dont think you ethnic background will effect your ability to complete you education in the caribbean. I think a pre-med program would be necessary if you do not have a college degree with the minimum requirements to get in to the caribbean medical schools. Most of the students are in their 20's because they completed a bachelor's and possibly have work experience. If completing a college degree is not an option look into the pre-med programs before applying to medical school in the caribbean.

dhs1041
08-30-2012, 08:27 AM
but i am getting admission in smu in md program so i should go for it will be tough for me to study md directly ?
I dont think you ethnic background will effect your ability to complete you education in the caribbean. I think a pre-med program would be necessary if you do not have a college degree with the minimum requirements to get in to the caribbean medical schools. Most of the students are in their 20's because they completed a bachelor's and possibly have work experience. If completing a college degree is not an option look into the pre-med programs before applying to medical school in the caribbean.

cardiomegaly
08-30-2012, 08:32 AM
If you have been already accepted in to the MD program it will be very tough. All the MD programs are extremely difficult. At the age of 18, you will be one of the youngest people in the program. Its alot of work. St. Matthews has a very rigorous program. A friend of who went to that school said the exams were harder there than other caribbean schools. She went to that school 5 years ago so things might have changed. If you are referring to St. Martinus I am not familiar with there program.

devildoc8404
08-30-2012, 08:40 AM
You are receiving direct admission to a 4-year medical program without a university degree? That seems shady, because 4-year medical programs are intended for university graduates (or those with at least 90 university credit hours). Are they putting you through a premedical sciences program first?

Yes, for most people, completing a 4-year program for someone with only a high school diploma would be extremely difficult. You might also consider the fact that some state licensing bureaus could potentially raise an eyebrow at someone having a 4-year medical diploma without a university degree (they would not care if it was a 6-year medical diploma without a university degree, because that is the international norm).

dhs1041
08-30-2012, 08:44 AM
so is there any other university in which i can apply and u r familiar with and what do u recommend should i first complete pre med?

dhs1041
08-30-2012, 08:49 AM
so should i go for pre med first? and much time it will take to complete pre med

dhs1041
08-30-2012, 08:55 AM
so should i go for pre med first,and how much time it will take to complete pre med?

You are receiving direct admission to a 4-year medical program without a university degree? That seems shady, because 4-year medical programs are intended for university graduates (or those with at least 90 university credit hours). Are they putting you through a premedical sciences program first?

Yes, for most people, completing a 4-year program for someone with only a high school diploma would be extremely difficult. You might also consider the fact that some state licensing bureaus could potentially raise an eyebrow at someone having a 4-year medical diploma without a university degree (they would not care if it was a 6-year medical diploma without a university degree, because that is the international norm).

dhs1041
08-30-2012, 09:09 AM
hi i am new to this forum .i am Indian and have completed my 12th standard in science stream with bio,chemistry,physics in 2012 i want to study medicine in Caribbean cuz i want to practice in usa but i was advised by my friend who was us citizen and had studied medicine in caribbean that it would be though for you to study medicine in caribbean straight after 12th cuz most of student have completed pre med's before entering into md,so i want to know that will it be tough for me to study md directly cuz in india there is nothing like pre med,so shlould i go for pre med or directly for md pls or should go for mbbs in india but important thing is i want to practice in us and also advise me some good medical college in caribbean.also i am 18 yrs old so i was also told that most of student are of 23 or 25 yrs old so is this true cuz there would be huge age difference .pls reply fast i want to join from this year an is there any other option other than caribbean islands so that i could practice in usa?

Riften
08-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Having a US citizenship or not is significantly different when it comes to matching. Carribean would be better for you if you want to practice in the US. However, if you fail to match in the US, you Carribean MD degree will not be widely accepted in the world. Your Indian medical degree is accepted in India at least.

devildoc8404
08-30-2012, 12:38 PM
If you are planning to start medical school straight out of high school, I would recommend attending a 6-year medical school program that is designed for people in your situation. That will provide you with the best preparation for a career in medicine, as well as the USMLE Steps, which would be required to work in the US.

In my opinion, a Caribbean "pre-med" is not the same thing.

dhs1041
08-31-2012, 05:23 AM
Having a US citizenship or not is significantly different when it comes to matching. Carribean would be better for you if you want to practice in the US. However, if you fail to match in the US, you Carribean MD degree will not be widely accepted in the world. Your Indian medical degree is accepted in India at least.
but it will be tough cuz i dont have any undergraduate degree.i asked director of smu in india and he said that u can get admission in md program without premed or any entrance exams so will it be tough?

devildoc8404
08-31-2012, 08:12 AM
Yes. Yes, it will be tough. Without any undergraduate degree sciences, a 4-year medical school program will be very tough, indeed.

There are 6-year medical schools throughout the world that are set up for people just coming out of high school, and they include the basic sciences in the curriculum. They are specifically designed for someone in your situation. That would be the most likely avenue for success.

the_red_devil
09-01-2012, 09:34 AM
hi i am new to this forum .i am Indian and have completed my 12th standard in science stream with bio,chemistry,physics in 2012 i want to study medicine in Caribbean cuz i want to practice in usa but i was advised by my friend who was us citizen and had studied medicine in caribbean that it would be though for you to study medicine in caribbean straight after 12th cuz most of student have completed pre med's before entering into md,so i want to know that will it be tough for me to study md directly cuz in india there is nothing like pre med,so shlould i go for pre med or directly for md pls or should go for mbbs in india but important thing is i want to practice in us and also advise me some good medical college in caribbean.also i am 18 yrs old so i was also told that most of student are of 23 or 25 yrs old so is this true cuz there would be huge age difference .pls reply fast i want to join from this year :confused: an is there any other option other than caribbean islands so that i could practice in usa?

I was in your exact situation about a year ago. The Carib schools seem like a realistic option but believe me they are not the way to go if you're serious about getting a residency in the US. Those programs aren't meant for high school graduates (this was the opinion of a residency program director in the US). They may be an option for citizens of the US but for FMG's like us its an uphill battle with many obstacles. It would be way better and easier for you to go for a 6 year program instead. Stay in India (if that's an option) or go to Europe. Or there is a school in Guyana called Texila university. Check their credentials 'cause they seem to have a 5 and a half year program for high school grads. But your best bet would still be a school in India/Europe.
Also, haven't you heard about the new law that our beloved education minister wants to impose on medical students who want to do their residency in the states? Apparently, you have to come back to India after you finish your residency in the states for a compulsory period of 5 years or you'll end up losing your license. Something to do about brain-drain and losing our best doctors to the states. It was in the news a few months ago. Don't know when they'll implement this but it is not good news for us. Don't be so hell bent on the states. Try to expand your options and get the best education you can possibly get.

axiomofchoice
09-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Why do you want to practice in the US?

dhs1041
09-06-2012, 11:34 AM

Yes, for most people, completing a 4-year program for someone with only a high school diploma would be extremely difficult. You might also consider the fact that some state licensing bureaus could potentially raise an eyebrow at someone having a 4-year medical diploma without a university degree (they would not care if it was a 6-year medical diploma without a university degree, because that is the international norm).k but i checked the website of windsor.edu/new_site/admissions it claims for indian high school graduates with bio,chem do not require any premed subjects or can get direct admission in md so is good or will i face any problems in future?

Rosi2
09-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Your confused you won't be in the 4 year program at Windsor with high school only , instead you will be entering premed program and when you finish that you will enter the 4 year program.

Norma Fay
09-12-2012, 11:06 PM
You get a good education at some Foreign Medical Schools, but others don't offer as much. I am attending UMHS now and they are great. However, I had a college degree first and I don't think most programs would/should take you without one. I would get a college degree and then do a program like UMHS offers. They really invest in their students.

dhs1041
09-25-2012, 04:12 AM

Yes, for most people, completing a 4-year program for someone with only a high school diploma would be extremely difficult. You might also consider the fact that some state licensing bureaus could potentially raise an eyebrow at someone having a 4-year medical diploma without a university degree (they would not care if it was a 6-year medical diploma without a university degree, because that is the international norm).so can i get admission into md after completing 4 yr of bds(bachelor of dental surgery ) as ug degree

sunnydoc
10-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Semper Fi DD.. How are the studies going.

devildoc8404
10-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Semper, sunny-dee... the studies are DONE! At least, the graduation exams are done. I still have some more USMLE Steps to take, but I passed my last state graduation exam this past Wednesday, and just have to wait for January to graduate and receive the diploma. On Friday I will bust off to Switzerland to continue the research work and classes for my dissertation. How are things with you, shipmate?

sunnydoc
10-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Congrats, Still plugin away 1 year to Step 1.... Are you going to stay overseas or try to match?

Info88
03-23-2013, 04:47 PM
I want to educate the Indian student here. First of all, you can study medicine in the Caribbean after 12th grade only if you have science courses (Physics, Chemistry and Biology) in your 11th and 12th grade. It is important for US and Canadian student to do 90 credit hours after 12th grade as the level of science courses is not as tough as it is in India. Also, if there is a school that is recognized by the government of a country, the degree is valid and hence, your SMU degree is valid in India. MCI must have issues you a Eligibility Certificate before joining SMU and that is a permission by the MCI for you to go study medicine at SMU. There is no problem whatsoever.

SMUAdministration
03-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Actually, it is not difficult for Indian students to study here. Currently, we have almost 20 students studying here directly from India. Special housing and/or food arrangements can be made for Indian students if they wish. It is true that SMUFOM is approved by the Medical Council of India (MCI).

leahstrand
07-29-2013, 02:56 AM
Looking the description, I agree with Your friend that studying directly would be difficult. Pay heed to Your friend's advice.

Gpreet_s
07-31-2013, 09:13 PM
its scam for indian students. the school is blacklisted on MCI. DO NOT GO TO ST.MARTINUS. dont listen to their bullshit.

exmartinus
08-02-2013, 01:49 AM
Call up Medical Council of India, New Delhi to know the reality

kemz92
03-21-2015, 01:00 PM
all great advice.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.