PDA

View Full Version : NBME FOCS...Exam passing score changed after the exam was written on 08/08/2012 !!!!

Dr. Angel
08-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Yes, SMU has done it again. Administration announced an increase to the NBME passing score AFTER the exam was given on August 8, 2012. The passing score was increased from a 65 in April 2012 to a 68 in August 2012. Yet this time, the administration did not pass students who had believed they passed with scores between 65-67.

It seems SMU may teach ethics but certainly does not practice what they teach. It's like they are ASKING TO BE SUED.

medic300107
08-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Yeah I could def see a lawsuit from this one

Dr. Angel
09-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Yeah I could def see a lawsuit from this one

I completely agree. The school administration claims that the reason for the increase in NBME exam passing score is that the STEP 1 passing score has also increased.

Yet the USMLE website states that the Step 1 passing score is currently 188. According to the scale provided by the NBME, a score of 188 on STEP 1 equals 65 on NBME. However, SMU has raised the passing score to 68, which equals 195 on STEP 1.

Has USMLE suddenly increased the STEP 1 passing score to 195? Does anyone know? Otherwise, it seems SMU administration has lied.

From the evidence above, it seems SMU administration has manipulated scores to deny students the opportunity to continue their education by failing qualified students at NBME FOCS and not allowing them to take STEP 1.

This is certainly grounds for another lawsuit. I believe SMU is already currently dealing with a lawsuit regarding a similar issue.

medmark2021
09-29-2012, 02:11 PM
yea the school does stuff in weird ways but i seriously think you should stop worrying about that and worry about getting off the island just do the exam and pass. i am not the smartest one on there and am off the island

PS if you pass that exam with all the things they put you through, you are more likely to pass the step exam

Dr. Angel
11-26-2012, 09:56 PM
yea the school does stuff in weird ways but i seriously think you should stop worrying about that and worry about getting off the island just do the exam and pass. i am not the smartest one on there and am off the island

PS if you pass that exam with all the things they put you through, you are more likely to pass the step exam

You wouldn't be saying that if you were one of the people who passed the exam and then were told that actually, you didn't pass because of a change in requirements. Then, you either get kicked out of school or have to pay $2000 in plane tickets/hotel/expenses to travel back to the island to retake it. It's easy to dismiss this if it doesn't happen to you or to someone you know.

It doesn't sound like anyone who's one the island now will be passing this exam either, because by the time you take it, the passing score requirements will continue to increase until the school kicks you out.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.