PDA

View Full Version : For people starting 1st year at Debrecen

Dulgar
08-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Hey and welcome to a new life of stress and "fml" moments! :) I'm posting some links and useful stuff here for you all to enjoy, any questions, please post them here, rather than PM'ing me, that way everyone can enjoy the answers :)

How do I reach Debrecen?

-Unless you're form the UK, form which Wizzair can be used to travel directly to Debrecen, you'll have to get to Debrecen from Budapest. My first time I got totally fooled, my taxi driver drove me to the main train station in the city. There is actually a train station next to the airport terminal 1.

I really don't recommend you taking the train, was a nightmare for me, specially if you're going alone with all your luggage and for the first time, also, there is no one telling you where you are so, yeah..

The best thing to do is to use Leo's cab service, the phone number is 0036303722439.

How do I find a place to live? Flat?
- Look at both these websites: INEMA | INGATLAN | DEBRECEN (http://www.inema.hu/) and Welcome to Net-Home.hu website! - Properties (http://net-home.hu/en/ingatlanok_en)
- If you want to live on campus (I don't recommend it) Auguszta Apartman Hotel És Diákszálló (http://www.augusztahotel.hu/) and then you have the Korean one, but I don't know what it's called, everyone calls it the Korean hostel :S

Where do I buy food once I reach Debrecen?
- You have the cheapest super-market called Interspar (you say INTERSHHHHPAAAAR), then you have Tesco (TESSSCOOO).

Where do I shop?
- You won't find any fancy mall, but you have an average one called Forum(Foooruuuum) which has a bit of everything, nothing fancy though.

Names of different places of the uni for the taxi lovers:

- T-building, building where you will have to go your first day and where your labs will be for your first year. If it's your first time, say "T-building, inside" so you get dropped of just outside, if you say "T-building, outside" you're going to have to walk a bit.
- LSB building, where your seminars and most of lectures will be.
- Egyetem international office (egjeeteeem international office) where you will have to register.

Oh yeah - American accent helps when saying stuff to taxi drivers, British accent is a bit weird for their language.
I'll put up more as I figure out more handy stuff...

djay
08-20-2012, 08:36 PM
Hey and welcome to a new life of stress and "fml" moments! :) I'm posting some links and useful stuff here for you all to enjoy, any questions, please post them here, rather than PM'ing me, that way everyone can enjoy the answers :)

How do I reach Debrecen?

-Unless you're form the UK, form which Wizzair can be used to travel directly to Debrecen, you'll have to get to Debrecen from Budapest. My first time I got totally fooled, my taxi driver drove me to the main train station in the city. There is actually a train station next to the airport terminal 1.

I really don't recommend you taking the train, was a nightmare for me, specially if you're going alone with all your luggage and for the first time, also, there is no one telling you where you are so, yeah..

The best thing to do is to use Leo's cab service, the phone number is 0036303722439.

How do I find a place to live? Flat?
- Look at both these websites:
- If you want to live on campus (I don't recommend it) and then you have the Korean one, but I don't know what it's called, everyone calls it the Korean hostel :S

Where do I buy food once I reach Debrecen?
- You have the cheapest super-market called Interspar (you say INTERSHHHHPAAAAR), then you have Tesco (TESSSCOOO).

Where do I shop?
- You won't find any fancy mall, but you have an average one called Forum(Foooruuuum) which has a bit of everything, nothing fancy though.

Names of different places of the uni for the taxi lovers:

- T-building, building where you will have to go your first day and where your labs will be for your first year. If it's your first time, say "T-building, inside" so you get dropped of just outside, if you say "T-building, outside" you're going to have to walk a bit.
- LSB building, where your seminars and most of lectures will be.
- Egyetem international office (egjeeteeem international office) where you will have to register.

Oh yeah - American accent helps when saying stuff to taxi drivers, British accent is a bit weird for their language.
I'll put up more as I figure out more handy stuff...

hi, i'm Djay. thanks for this post, Dulgar, been waiting ages for it.....'ve been following 'valuemd: Debrecen uni' 4 months now without actually being part of it. Ummm.....i opted for campus accommodation though (kinda wonder y u have a problem with it. care to share?). I'm going to be staying in Auguszta Hotel...I've perused google for pix that show me what a shared kitchen in that hostel is like? and how long a corridor extends? and how many rooms are on a corridor?...can u find out for me please?

thanks a whole lot!

djay
08-20-2012, 08:38 PM
what does 'fml' mean?

Dulgar
08-21-2012, 03:21 AM
hi, i'm Djay. thanks for this post, Dulgar, been waiting ages for it.....'ve been following 'valuemd: Debrecen uni' 4 months now without actually being part of it. Ummm.....i opted for campus accommodation though (kinda wonder y u have a problem with it. care to share?). I'm going to be staying in Auguszta Hotel...I've perused google for pix that show me what a shared kitchen in that hostel is like? and how long a corridor extends? and how many rooms are on a corridor?...can u find out for me please?

thanks a whole lot!

It's just that, I find it too expensive for what you get, and a lot of new students want to move out after the first semester.

fml = fuck my life

djay
08-21-2012, 07:26 PM
It's just that, I find it too expensive for what you get, and a lot of new students want to move out after the first semester.

fml = making babies my life

u really didn't answer my question, though...what does a shared kitchen look like in Auguszta hostel and how many rooms are along a corridor??
thanks again....

Dulgar
08-22-2012, 05:15 AM
u really didn't answer my question, though...what does a shared kitchen look like in Auguszta hostel and how many rooms are along a corridor??
thanks again....

Oh my bad, sorry, I can't answer because I don't know about the shared kitchen, never thought of it.. I think there are like 10 rooms per side, so 20 in each corridor, or something like that, I've really no idea.

djay
08-22-2012, 03:19 PM
...thanks again (x2). . .

the_red_devil
08-25-2012, 12:57 AM
I agree with Dulgar about Auguszta. You can get a much better and cheaper place outside. The only positive about Auguszta is that, maybe, there is better chance of social interaction there with your fellow students. I can't think of any other pros apart from that.

djay
08-27-2012, 03:02 AM
Oh...thanks! Is there anything like a 'welcoming committee'?

the_red_devil
08-27-2012, 09:33 AM
Oh...thanks! Is there anything like a 'welcoming committee'?
There was an orientation seminar today if that's what you mean.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.