PDA

View Full Version : Tuition Fee issue

TAJIK
08-18-2012, 03:25 AM
Hi, I hv got a question: How do non-EU students pay for their med school's tuition fees in EU(mainly in Poland, Bulgaria, Romania and Czech Republic). Do they work, any scholarship options or loan?:confused:

georgemeister
08-18-2012, 03:46 AM
Hi, I hv got a question: How do non-EU students pay for their med school's tuition fees in EU(mainly in Poland, Bulgaria, Romania and Czech Republic). Do they work, any scholarship options or loan?:confused:

The same way EU students pay for their tuition fees...I think it is impossible to work and afford a med school 100% on your own as a student...Now when it comes to scholarships it depends on the school , each school might give some (rarely have I seen that).You can get a loan from your country to study abroad (it happens in some countries).And some countries like the U.K give loans to EU citizens(but you become their slave for the rest of your life with the terms and conditions you have to sign and follow , so yeah sometimes you get what you pay/work for ...I believe that whether somebody is a EU student or not 9/10 times it's the family that is supporting you during your studies (except people that turned to medicine later and have already saved their own...)Literally to me it is impossible to just "work" and pay everything(fees+rent+personal expenses) on your own you can't make that much.Although you can cover some expenses by working...

I would mention some EU programmes that offered free scholarships but those are only for students with EU citizenship.

TAJIK
08-18-2012, 04:47 AM
Thanks for ur info. First of all my country(and even banks) will not support me. And my family can give me max. about $3000 per year. I do want really become a doctor... Because of tuition fees I hv applied for a med school in Turkey but got a rejections. Because of low tuition fees it is really competitive. Want to attend med school in EU, but it to expensive. Is there any option for me except Romania?

The same way EU students pay for their tuition fees...I think it is impossible to work and afford a med school 100% on your own as a student...Now when it comes to scholarships it depends on the school , each school might give some (rarely have I seen that).You can get a loan from your country to study abroad (it happens in some countries).And some countries like the U.K give loans to EU citizens(but you become their slave for the rest of your life with the terms and conditions you have to sign and follow , so yeah sometimes you get what you pay/work for ...I believe that whether somebody is a EU student or not 9/10 times it's the family that is supporting you during your studies (except people that turned to medicine later and have already saved their own...)Literally to me it is impossible to just "work" and pay everything(fees+rent+personal expenses) on your own you can't make that much.Although you can cover some expenses by working...

I would mention some EU programmes that offered free scholarships but those are only for students with EU citizenship.

devildoc8404
08-18-2012, 07:58 AM
We have already discussed this elsewhere, but German medical school tuition is incredibly cheap -- cheaper even than Romania. Living expenses vary depending on the part of Germany, but if one were to live on campus, use the 3000 wisely, and maybe seek out some options for part-time work, one could probably make it.

At my school, almost all of the students are receiving 100% financial support from their parents. There are a few who work part-time, but this is rare and very hard to manage during medical school.

TAJIK
08-18-2012, 08:20 AM
honestly, I am losing my hope... because IF i could not get in to Turkey med school it means that I can not get it even to German I am not talking about US med school. USA was my first choice and desire(as It is NOW) but because of economical problems I am considering EU and Turkey. How I wish to study and then practice medicine in USA! Oh God, how do ti this!...

We have already discussed this elsewhere, but German medical school tuition is incredibly cheap -- cheaper even than Romania. Living expenses vary depending on the part of Germany, but if one were to live on campus, use the 3000 wisely, and maybe seek out some options for part-time work, one could probably make it.

At my school, almost all of the students are receiving 100% financial support from their parents. There are a few who work part-time, but this is rare and very hard to manage during medical school.

devildoc8404
08-18-2012, 09:55 AM
That is not true. Turkish university admissions are notoriously, ridiculously competitive. Germany is competitive as well, but you cannot compare the two. They are different places and different cultures with different requirements. The English phrase of "you can't compare apples and oranges" applies here, TAJIK. Turkey is not Germany. Just because you did not get into school in Turkey has no bearing on Germany or any other country. You seem to have good academic credentials, so it is worth trying.

The US might be your first choice, but medical school in the US is probably the most expensive option in the world, and admission as a non-US citizen is nearly impossible... so that is kind of out of the question here. It is getting harder and harder to match in the US as a non-citizen after medical school, and it looks like it will be even more difficult in 5 years or so. With this in mind, look for options that will allow you the most different options, and then you can take the USMLE and apply for US residency. If it works out, great, and if not, then you still have other options.

Romania? Germany? Those would be my recommendations.

Riften
08-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Sorry to hijack this thread but I am curious if you complete a medical residency (For example, 5 years of general surgery program) in an Eastern European country, then can you work in an Western European country? For non-EU citizens who have an EU medical degree.

That is not true. Turkish university admissions are notoriously, ridiculously competitive. Germany is competitive as well, but you cannot compare the two. They are different places and different cultures with different requirements. The English phrase of "you can't compare apples and oranges" applies here, TAJIK. Turkey is not Germany. Just because you did not get into school in Turkey has no bearing on Germany or any other country. You seem to have good academic credentials, so it is worth trying.

The US might be your first choice, but medical school in the US is probably the most expensive option in the world, and admission as a non-US citizen is nearly impossible... so that is kind of out of the question here. It is getting harder and harder to match in the US as a non-citizen after medical school, and it looks like it will be even more difficult in 5 years or so. With this in mind, look for options that will allow you the most different options, and then you can take the USMLE and apply for US residency. If it works out, great, and if not, then you still have other options.

Romania? Germany? Those would be my recommendations.

devildoc8404
08-18-2012, 11:35 AM
It is potentially possible, but it totally depends on the W-EU country. This is because many of the EU countries will not allow non-EU physicians to work there, no matter where they earned their medical degree -- that is because it is an immigration issue, and not a medical licensing issue. Other countries will currently allow it, but you need to speak the language at least quasi-fluently, and you need to pass through immigration authority scrutiny (meaning that doctors from some countries will be more likely to get approval than docs from other countries).

Note also that in E-EU they usually do not pay their residents. In fact, some places will even charge tuition for the years of residency.

Most importantly, however, you should be aware that is the situation currently. Heaven only knows what things will be like in 5+ years in the EU.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I am curious if you complete a medical residency (For example, 5 years of general surgery program) in an Eastern European country, then can you work in an Western European country? For non-EU citizens who have an EU medical degree.

georgemeister
08-18-2012, 02:23 PM
It is potentially possible, but it totally depends on the W-EU country. This is because many of the EU countries will not allow non-EU physicians to work there, no matter where they earned their medical degree -- that is because it is an immigration issue, and not a medical licensing issue. Other countries will currently allow it, but you need to speak the language at least quasi-fluently, and you need to pass through immigration authority scrutiny (meaning that doctors from some countries will be more likely to get approval than docs from other countries).

Note also that in E-EU they usually do not pay their residents. In fact, some places will even charge tuition for the years of residency.

Most importantly, however, you should be aware that is the situation currently. Heaven only knows what things will be like in 5+ years in the EU.

Well said...Eu is not as friendly as it looks like for non EU citizens even for us the EU citizenship holders it is not as friendly as it seems to be.Everything is possible, 3000 is not much but it's a fair start for you and I believe if you look for schools in asia you might have your shot there.You don't wanna come in EU with that low budget sorry...Maybe and I say maybe if you could speak german ,french then and only then you could attend a really cheap programme in EU if you're lucky .It is possible to work part time only in the W-EU because in E-EU you'll be suffering for pennies.Wages in bulgaria,romania,poland compared to W-E are a joke.As for the immigration part EU countries vary a lot .Germany is the most friendly to non EU I believe and "liberal" France will give you a lot of rights if you're willing at least to speak their language.Think and search,save money and the world is out there for you...

Don't want to disappoint you or anything just trying to say the truth.

TAJIK
08-21-2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks dear georgemeister! I wil take it all into consideration.

Well said...Eu is not as friendly as it looks like for non EU citizens even for us the EU citizenship holders it is not as friendly as it seems to be.Everything is possible, 3000 is not much but it's a fair start for you and I believe if you look for schools in asia you might have your shot there.You don't wanna come in EU with that low budget sorry...Maybe and I say maybe if you could speak german ,french then and only then you could attend a really cheap programme in EU if you're lucky .It is possible to work part time only in the W-EU because in E-EU you'll be suffering for pennies.Wages in bulgaria,romania,poland compared to W-E are a joke.As for the immigration part EU countries vary a lot .Germany is the most friendly to non EU I believe and "liberal" France will give you a lot of rights if you're willing at least to speak their language.Think and search,save money and the world is out there for you...

Don't want to disappoint you or anything just trying to say the truth.

georgemeister
08-21-2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks dear georgemeister! I wil take it all into consideration.

No worries mate, anytime...Just my personal opinion that's all...I'm sure you're find your way...

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.