PDA

View Full Version : Enquirying about medical studies in russia

Sankalp
08-09-2012, 04:24 AM
Hi

I am from india and i am planning to study MBBS in russia. Plz recommend me some good universities where teaching and studying environment is nice. I have shortlisted some like I.M. State Sechenov, Moscow and St. Petersburg.

I have heard that doctors in russia get very poor salary and because of this i want to settle in uk or usa after studying in russia.
What is the procedure after completing postgraduation in russia and then settling in uk or usa??

devildoc8404
08-09-2012, 05:22 AM
You cannot complete postgrad (residency) training in Russia and then use it in the United States. In almost every case, foreign residency training is not accepted in the US -- you need to complete a US residency program after graduating from medical school in order to work in the US. In the UK, if you are not an EU/UK citizen, you cannot work there as a physician anyway... so if you are not an EU/UK citizen, you can essentially forget that option, unfortunately.

This means that if you choose to study medicine in Russia, you would need to take the USMLE Steps 1, 2CS, and 2CK, and apply for the residency match in the US. You would also likely want to complete some clinical rotations in the US during vacations if at all possible, in order to get some US letters of recommendation. There is a boatload of information about the match process on VMD, simply do a search and you will have weeks worth of reading material.

However, be advised that it is getting more difficult to obtain a residency position in the US if you have graduated from an overseas medical school, and it is even harder for a non-US citizen who needs a visa. It is, at least, still possible... which is more than we can say for the UK at the moment.

Sankalp
08-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks devildoc8404 for answering my queries.

I have heard that Poland, Ukraine, Czech Republic are also some of the countries which can be considered for medical education.

So which one is the right choice and why? And plz recommend some good medical colleges in all respects of russia. And also tell me which are the top medical colleges of Poland, Ukraine and Czech Republic??

devildoc8404
08-09-2012, 12:46 PM
If you want to work in the US, the best options in Poland and Czech Republic are those medical school programs with approval in all 50 states (so that you can apply for the maximum amount of programs for residency after graduation). Note that none of the English programs at medical schools in Ukraine or Russia have approval in all 50 states, and many in Poland and Czech Republic do not have it either.

You can find these approved programs listed by country on the California Medical Board website (Welcome to the Medical Board of California - Medical Schools Recognized by the Medical Board of California (http://www.mbc.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html)) - remember that the ENGLISH LANGUAGE program must be specifically noted, or else it isn't approved. If an English medical school program is not approved in California, then there is a list of other states that also will not approve the degree to some degree or other.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.