PDA

View Full Version : post graduation in europe?

123.nav
07-28-2012, 12:42 PM
hi i am doctor and have done my medical graduation M.B.B.S from india in 2010. Now i want to do my post graduation/residency in field of internal medicine from europe. Can any one help me with the programs that offer internal medicine residency in europe for indian medical graduate. program details,requirements,fees. any information will be highly appreciated

devildoc8404
07-28-2012, 02:46 PM
This is come down to which languages you speak fluently, and how well you know your stuff in an interview setting, etc. If the only European language that you know is English, you are in a bad spot, because getting a residency spot in the UK as a non-EU/UK citizen is virtually impossible. (Also, it would probably help your case if you had an EU medical diploma, but it's too late to change that now.)

In W-EU, there are no fees for residency. You are paid for your work. In E-EU, there are tuition fees for residency, which is ridiculous but a simple matter of economics.

123.nav
07-29-2012, 03:35 PM
thank you for reply doc.Right now i only know English but i had learnt french few years ago but i have forgotten, anyway what's the procedure for getting into french medicine residency. right now i am going through financial and mental agony but surely i will come out of it. i sincerely love internal medicine and i want to do something in this field.i tried for medicine in my country but due to reservations system i am not able to do so. i know i am asking you too much but can you guide me what next step i should take for getting a internal medicine residency in a European country as a IMG, which countries should i try for(if its language i will try to learn it asap) and which provides good opportunities and have good medicine system.

devildoc8404
07-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Unfortunately, the French regions (France and French-speaking Switzerland) are a virtual impossibility without EU citizenship, no matter how well you can speak the language. According to chapelier, a French medical student in Romania who posts on VMD, as a non-EU citizen with a non-EU diploma, you could potentially apply to train in France as a GP only... and you would have no practice rights in France thereafter. Even that training is not guaranteed by any means.

The most feasible option right now in W-EU is probably in Germany, although it is getting tougher there and it is definitely more difficult without an EU diploma. Immigration is likely an issue, so you would need to speak the language with a very good level of fluency and be seen as someone who could "integrate" well into German society. Germany has an excellent medical system and will not tolerate poor language skills or shoddy medical work -- I mention this not because I suspect you would be a bad hospital employee, but rather because a few German hospitals accepted some bad foreign doctors in the past years with tragic results (i.e. dead patients, etc.) and they are really cracking down on foreign physician employment in many areas. If you want to try for Germany, I would recommend doing a Google search German medical recruiters... there are hundreds of them. They will be able to tell you what you should do to apply for an Internal Medicine position in Germany, and what your chances are. On the good side, IM is a specialty that seems to have a lot of openings there at the moment.

Otherwise, you would likely be looking at E-EU (Bulgaria, Romania, perhaps Poland, etc.) as the most likely locations for your IM training. This would mean that you would have to pay for your residency training, rather than being paid for your work, which would be a dramatic shift of financial fortunes. Still, depending on where you want to work, it could be a potential path to your goal. We have an Indian physician working as a resident in cardiology in Sofia, and he seems to be doing fine... but be aware that there is a significant drop-off between the health care systems of W-EU and E-EU.

123.nav
07-31-2012, 03:29 PM
thank you for the guidance doc, you have been a lot of help, thank you once again...can you tell me about the procedure of getting admission in E-EU like Poland and Bulgaria, how much is the fees, and is regional language necessary here also and what do you mean by significant drop-off in health care between E-EU and W-EU.

devildoc8404
07-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Nope, I really can't. I have no idea on most of those details, as I am not interested in pursuing residency training in Poland or Bulgaria. I would suggest checking out the websites for the medical universities in those countries, as I am relatively sure that basic details like the admissions requirements and tuition fees are outlined there.

Absolutely, the local language is always going to be a requirement... you can't interact with patients and colleagues if you don't speak their language! You need to be able to take a patient history and communicate in order to do the job, right? FWIW, I know that here in Bulgaria they offer language training (at a fee) to prepare foreign physicians for residency training. I am sure they have similar offerings in other E-EU countries as well, to some degree or other.

With regard to health care, E-EU generally (but not always) has worse facilities than W-EU, and there is generally far less money/technology available for training. They also often do not pay their resident trainee physicians, and require them to pay tuition... while in W-EU there is no tuition and the resident trainees are paid for their work. Visit the countries you are considering before you make a decision, if at all possible. That will help you more than almost anything else.

Dr Ashwin Bidkar
09-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Respected Doctors,
I am Dr Ashwin Bidkar. I am Resident doctor in Cardiology department in Germany. If any one interested in doing post graduation in medical fields ,can contact me directly to my mail [email protected] or can also contact me on facebook- DrAshwin Nitin Bidkar .for more information about post graduation in Germany for EU and non EU doctors can Visit web site.There is No Tuition fee
The duration of Training is 5-6 years. No entrance exam.
It is a clinical on-the-job training .The Post-Graduate Medical students in Germany get 4000-5000 Euro Monthly stipend(before tax)

Dr Ashwin Bidkar
09-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Respected Doctors,
I am Dr Ashwin Bidkar. I am Resident doctor in Cardiology department in Germany. If any one interested in doing post graduation in medical fields ,can contact me directly to my mail [email protected] or can also contact me on facebook- DrAshwin Nitin Bidkar .for more information about post graduation in Germany for EU and non EU doctors can Visit web site.There is No Tuition fee
It is a clinical on-the-job training .The Post-Graduate Medical students in Germany get 4000-5000 Euro Monthly stipend(before tax)

devildoc8404
09-24-2013, 01:13 PM
You seem to be blanketing VMD pretty thoroughly with this information, Herr Doktor. Excuse the presumption of my question, but does this offer pad your conscience, or your wallet?

medigeek
10-24-2013, 01:38 AM
what is the situation like in the uk for an eu citizen with a non eu medical ug degree?

devildoc8404
10-25-2013, 08:15 AM
That is impossible to say, as it totally depends on the degree. Check with the British authorities at GMC, they have a list of which schools are accepted, and which schools are not.

iyad
10-25-2013, 01:17 PM
what is the situation like in the uk for an eu citizen with a non eu medical ug degree?

123.nav

germany is the most feasible. if you know some french , u need to make it MORE french..take french courses and pass c2 level, meanwhile start your 1st yr of internal medicine in any accredited hospital in India, after finishing the 1st yr, go to the french embassy in delhi and apply for the "DFMS" Program , if accepted, you will continue the remaining 2 years of Internal med in France.No admission exams.
DFMS is a french specialty degree intended to foreign doctors only, you will be allowed to work in India and most countries but not in France and Eu countries.

All the best

Gabyleo
03-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Hey devildoc i ve been reading through the forums and I feel you are the best one whom I can ask . So I just completed my med school in India and recently came across this residency advertisements in Germany . So since I stay in Switzerland with a C Ausweis I felt Germany is closest to home , if I can't get through the Indian residency that is . So I was wondering since I know about B1 German . What exactly are my chances with an Indian certificate in Germany . I'm so sorry for bothering you and would be great if you could help .
If I can apply it through swiss .

devildoc8404
03-25-2014, 08:41 PM
Wait. You have a 'C' card in Switzerland in your hand... and you want to work/train in Germany? WHY?!? I mean, the training in Germany is great, but Swiss salaries are about 50% higher, plus you already have a visa to stay in Switzerland (a serious advantage), and as long as you can speak German well you might actually find yourself hired. Mostly we see people coming from Germany to work in Switzerland, and not the other way around. OK, I mean, you might not get hired in Switzerland, but it would sure as hell be worth a try if you have a 'C' card. Dammit, I am jealous... I do not have a 'C' card, and I would loooove to have one. :)

Anyway... in the past, if your German was not good enough for German-speaking Switzerland, then you could apply with some confidence to Germany as long as you were at the B2 level. That is really no longer the case. German programs are now advertising through recruiters that they want at least C1 German, if not C2.

You would have to contact recruiters as to the acceptability of Indian credentials, because that can vary from Bundesland to Bundesland. However, I would not contact any recruiters in Germany until you are at the B2 language level or better.

You can absolutely apply from Switzerland, you would just need to travel to any interviews. No biggie in that regard, but do not apply until you are at at least B2. I would also go through a recruiter, which costs you nothing and can provide insights into the different regions where hospitals are hiring. Good luck to you...

Gabyleo
03-25-2014, 11:52 PM
Devildoc,

Do the recruiters charge a fee or is it free? I attempted to contact recruiters in India but they charged a fee. When I schedule an appointment to see a recruiter, where would I go or be sent? So the recruiter will confirm the acceptability of my Indian credentials and explain whats next and of course after I get to a B2 level. Thank you again :p

devildoc8404
03-30-2014, 05:19 PM
Respectable recruiters should NEVER charge a fee from the physician client being placed in Germany. They receive their fees from the hospitals that hire their clientele, which is why they are only interested in talking with people who already speak the language fluently and can interview well. Frankly, any EU recruiter who tries to charge you money should be kicked with some reasonable amount of force squarely in the butt.

If you can find a recruiter who is interested in working with you, there will probably be a telephone interview (depending on where you are located, I cannot speak for people in India). However, you cannot reasonably expect the recruiters to fly you to interviews in Germany from India when they have hundreds of qualified applicants with EU citizenship already right here in their backyard.

If you want to get a job in Germany, you need to either be able to fly yourself to Europe (probably multiple times), or be here in Europe already (ideally the latter, for ease of interview scheduling). I do not know whether your Indian credentials will be accepted in the different German municipalities or not, and there is really no way of telling without asking the recruiters or the government officials directly, which will require having a German-speaking intermediary to make calls or send emails for you. It is kind of a Catch-22... you alone probably cannot determine whether your degree is accepted in Germany without being able to speak German, but if you learn to speak German and the answer is "no," then you are rather screwed.

Obviously, I would suggest finding a German-speaker who can make those calls/email-contacts for you.

Good luck.

veerashankar
05-26-2014, 01:59 AM
Dear Ashwin,

I am Veera Shankar from India. My brother studying Final MBBS. He will finish his MBBS by 2016 June. He is planning to do PG in Medicine abroad. But, he is in confusion to select which country(USA, AUS, Germany) is better for his career. Could you please revert with your suggestions.

veerashankar
05-26-2014, 02:15 AM
Dear Ashwin,

I am Veera Shankar from India. My brother studying Final MBBS. He will finish his MBBS by 2016 June. He is planning to do PG in Medicine abroad. But, he is in confusion to select which country(USA, AUS, Germany) is better for his career. Could you please revert with your suggestions.

Respected Doctors,

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.