PDA

View Full Version : German medical school? --> EU-USA dual citizen + bachelor in science

animi_firmitas
07-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Hello there!

I am currently entering my last yr of undergrad for Bachelor of Science in Biology in the US and want to pursue medical school studies in Germany. I moved from EU at a young age so I have done most of my schooling in America but have maintained citizenship both in US and in EU. How would this affect my chances and process of receiving a spot at med schools in Germany? Do I apply through ZVS or no?

Also, I am not currently fluent in German, rather a beginner, and want to spend a year studying in Germany before I apply. I have spent a lot of time looking around the net for options of how to become fluent and skilled for passing the proficiency test, however I cannot seem to find any courses near the Deggendorf area (where I have family) for my beginner level. Is there anybody who have idea (perhaps in these cities) about where I could enter an international student German course for a year in the Deggendorf-Regensburg radius without needing to continue my studies at the university in a random subject ?

My hopes is to find a one year language based course (for beginner) in this area and gain proficiency for the test, and then begin application process for German med school (Regensburg). Are you familiar with this school?

One last question (thank you for the patience!!) - Should I plan to take the MCAT (American standardized Medical School Exam) to have a score that I can share with German medical schools or just wait and take the standardized German med school test once the time comes?

All replies are much appreciated, thank you!!! :>

devildoc8404
07-22-2012, 01:33 PM
The MCAT is a North American test and has no bearing on German medical school admissions. German students start straight out of high school, so you will be quite a bit older than your classmates if you gain admission. If you have completed HS and university overseas, you will likely be applying as a foreigner, even with your EU passport.

I would recommend looking at the DAAD website for extensive information about studying in Germany, and I believe there is also a section on language preparation courses.

Alles Gute, und viel Erfolg!

axiomofchoice
07-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Why do you want to go to medical school in germany?

devildoc8404
07-22-2012, 02:06 PM
I can't speak for the OP, but Germany's a nice option for the following reasons:

1) incredibly cheap tuition (like 1000-2000 Euros per year, in many cases)
2) outstanding education
3) EU practice rights
4) 50 state approval in the US
5) Germany is a really nice place to live and study

animi_firmitas
07-22-2012, 02:16 PM
thank you devildoc and axoimofchoice..

My roots are in Europe and from my visits to family in Germany, I don't see myself settling down anywhere better in the world than in that country to become a doctor. Those 5 reasons mentioned above do sum up a lot, also.

I am currently 20, will graduate at 21 and hope to spend that year learning German. How much older will I be when applying? Would schools see applications coming from students that have taken 'time off school' as a downside?

axiomofchoice
07-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Ok, so you want to actually practice in Germany. I absolutely agree with devildoc, Germany has one of the very best medical education systems in the world. Let alone that work hours are amazing once you finish training. However, getting into med school in Germany isn't easy.

Your first step would be to officially obtain proof of equivalency for germany's primary education. You'd be surprised at how little western European countries respect a US bachelors degree.

German is not an easy language to learn. Better start listening to those Rosetta Stone tapes now.

devildoc8404
07-22-2012, 04:30 PM
If you're finishing your bachelor's at 21, then taking a year or so to bone up on your Sprachfähigkeiten, then at 22 you will be about 4 years older than everyone else. No biggie, really.

Frankly, I don't know whether they would view the time learning German as "time off," since it is usually done in an academic environment, and getting to fluency will require a significant investment of time and effort. You will need to demonstrate good grades in HS and university in the States, that much is certain, and you will need to do really well on your entrance examination. It's doable... I know people who have done it. It's not easy, but it's doable. I often wish that I had taken that route, myself, quite frankly. Good luck!

animi_firmitas
07-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Dankeschon to both of you!! I know the road is not easy but I wish it to be the most rewarding decision of my life, I greatly appreciate the input received. Time to figure out where I'll gain my fluency from :))

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.