PDA

View Full Version : Starting at Comenius in Bratislava

Metus
07-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Was just wondering if there was anyone else starting there this year as I would like to get to meet people right off the bat and not feel like too much of a stranger! Also if any high up students would like to show a newbie the ropes ^^

Stig
07-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Hey! i am also starting at Comenius this year! :)

Metus
07-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Bah, can't PM you yet, I haven't made enough posts (needs 5 apparently) so might as well try to get them here ^^ Where abouts are you from? From what I've been reading, there aren't many Brits so I think I'm going to be the only Scottish guy there ^^

Stig
07-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Yeah, same here, i cant PM you yet :/ by the way, i'm half Italian and half Greek ^^ i'll send you more info with a PM (when i hopefully manage to get this 5 posts thing!), and yup i think you might as well be the only Scottish guy there as i havent read anything about many other British or Scottish students joining our uni :P

Stig
07-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Btw, for anyone else starting at Comenius, feel free to post here a response! Lets get to know each other in advance! :D ^^

Metus
07-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Yes please do, the more the merrier!

Btw Stig (love it btw, I'm just gonna call you that regardless of your name) I got my 5 posts, let me know if you got my pm (won't show up in sent items)

Stig
07-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Yeah i got your PM! :)

Tris
07-28-2012, 05:06 AM
You both are starting in Bratislava in September? Did you say 5 Brits you think are coming? Interesting.

Stig
07-28-2012, 05:30 AM
Yeah we are both starting in Bratislava in September..as i can see you are already there? I dont really know exactly how many Brits though..

Tris
07-28-2012, 05:51 AM
Yes I am already here, and I can't wait to finish. I was curious about the Brit number because I'm always intrigued to hear how many non Greeks are coming. You'll see, I think we make up 90% of the students in every year. Sometimes it's nice mind you.

Stig
07-28-2012, 06:03 AM
Yes i have been informed about the high percentage of Greek students there...in which year are you at? do you have any hints for the niewbies :D?

Tris
07-31-2012, 02:53 PM
I do have a tip - get out while you still can. Go somewhere else, really. This place will frustrate you each and every day.

Stig
08-05-2012, 09:09 AM
How come is it so bad?

indiansummer
08-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Hey! I've been looking everywhere for other Brits starting at Comenius, never thought about going on this site til someone said :) have you guys sorted out your accommodation?

NoDoubt
08-27-2012, 08:03 AM
hi guys i will be also new here :) I would like to ask Tris what he means about frustration..? And why going away...? Tris are you greek...?

Metus
08-30-2012, 06:33 AM
Hey indiansummer, so glad I'm not the only one! ^^ I got a place in Bratislava, 2 bedroom, and I'm currently on the hunt for a flatmate. If you want we can chat on FB or skype if you're interested =)

indiansummer
08-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Hey Metus! I can't pm yet (that weird 5 post rule) but you can pm your fb link if you want. I actually booked a room at My Home Apartments in Mytna, but it's only temporary. Apparently there's another girl from UK next door to me, I think there's about 5/6 people from the UK going to start in sept :)

Metus
08-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Ah nice! I pm'd you my email for fb. But if there's 6 of us.... sobriety is going to be a challenge....

Tris
09-11-2012, 02:28 AM
Just know you were all warned before coming. Your professors will treat you like are idiots, will assume you've read nothing and won't bother teaching you much either. About half of your classmates will in fact be idiots who don't belong in med school and will act like they are at a big party all day every day. They won't study, and some will pass exams anyway...hmmm....

And yes most of them who are like that will be Greek, and yes so am I. Did you see the results to the entrance exam? Notice how many people got below 50%? Don't worry, they'll be accepted anyway. I can almost guarantee you will have about 150 students in year one. Then go back and count how many passed.

Apparently nothing lasts forever though. Rumor has it that Physiology is no longer corrupt and can't be bought. In my year I heard of many students paying off the head, but he's gone now so maybe the rumors are true. The hope is thus that the crappy students will be dropped by year 3. I hope so, because being in the hospital with fellow students who don't know where the liver is is not fun.

NoDoubt
09-13-2012, 02:34 AM
Just know you were all warned before coming. Your professors will treat you like are idiots, will assume you've read nothing and won't bother teaching you much either. About half of your classmates will in fact be idiots who don't belong in med school and will act like they are at a big party all day every day. They won't study, and some will pass exams anyway...hmmm....

And yes most of them who are like that will be Greek, and yes so am I. Did you see the results to the entrance exam? Notice how many people got below 50%? Don't worry, they'll be accepted anyway. I can almost guarantee you will have about 150 students in year one. Then go back and count how many passed.

Apparently nothing lasts forever though. Rumor has it that Physiology is no longer corrupt and can't be bought. In my year I heard of many students paying off the head, but he's gone now so maybe the rumors are true. The hope is thus that the crappy students will be dropped by year 3. I hope so, because being in the hospital with fellow students who don't know where the liver is is not fun.

Really...? I actually hear that physiology professor wasnt able to be bribed... Tris in which year are you...? I also heard something about the number of credits we can transfer.. They said that form 20 they became 12 is tha true....? And they say also that this august there was issue for bribing so noone was able to be bribed... Older students told me that Nothing could be payed in augusust..

Tris
09-17-2012, 06:38 AM
I don't want to be too mean here, but I think I need to in order to illustrate just how screwed up Comenius is:

Really...? I actually hear that physiology professor wasnt able to be bribed...
You would think that English reading comprehension would be a requirement to study medicine in English, but clearly you can see that it is not.

Tris in which year are you...? I also heard something about the number of credits we can transfer.. They said that form 20 they became 12 is tha true....?
I'm in the second half of the program. As for your question, this happens all the time. First there is a rumor of something, then for the next month the same question will be brought up over and over. Of course the answer is on the university website, but still, people will ask anyway. Is it true? Really? No, it can't be.

Study Regulations - Amendment No.1 (http://www.fmed.uniba.sk/index.php?id=5609)

And they say also that this august there was issue for bribing so noone was able to be bribed... Older students told me that Nothing could be payed in augusust..

And this last part. God help me, this is why I hate this place. Why do I even bother to try and and convince people that my country has many hard working good people, when so often this is the mentality of the Greeks people see most. An issue for bribing because courses could not be bought?? My mother and father would be embarrassed to know that's what Greek students are doing at my university. But I am not from the elite like many of my "classmates"

JOKESTER
09-19-2012, 05:47 AM
Tris stop scaring the wee young-uns.

Welcome to Bratislava! Let me give you one word of advice on how to survive your 6 years in Comenius, stay away from the Greeks.

Follow that one rule and you will find Comeinus and Bratislava to be a very enjoyable experience.

chardoc
09-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Tris stop scaring the wee young-uns.

Welcome to Bratislava! Let me give you one word of advice on how to survive your 6 years in Comenius, stay away from the Greeks.

Follow that one rule and you will find Comeinus and Bratislava to be a very enjoyable experience.

Your comment is completely stupid and in a way,racist.
There are quite few greek students who are exceptional and actually help their colleagues with notes and past papers.
If u want to give an advice,cut the **** and say something useful.
Many greeks belong in the top of their class.
Of course,there are always some lazy ***** who are forced by their parents(physicians) to study medicine.

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.