PDA

View Full Version : Entry requirements to Med school.

Daviido
07-16-2012, 05:09 AM
Hi!I have some question about the entry requirements to the Medical School, at Semmelweis.
What do I need, to get in?
Is it enough to make an entrance test? Or do I even need some high school grades?

Hopefully I can start my studies in Medical School at Semmelweis, next fall! (Fall 2013)

Finns det några andra Svenskar som vill börja studera i Ungern?

Best regards!
Your Daviido. :cool:

Dulgar
07-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Hi!I have some question about the entry requirements to the Medical School, at Semmelweis.
What do I need, to get in?
Is it enough to make an entrance test? Or do I even need some high school grades?

Hopefully I can start my studies in Medical School at Semmelweis, next fall! (Fall 2013)

Finns det några andra Svenskar som vill börja studera i Ungern?

Best regards!
Your Daviido. :cool:

Läkarutbildning med Study in hungary på Semmelweis University Medical Campus, Study in Hungary (http://www.studentum.se/Laekarutbildning_med_Study_in_hungary_paa_Semmelwe is_University_Medical_Campus_9863.htm)

Read: Ansökan och behörighet.

Study Hungary (http://www.studyhungary.hu/pages.php?pageID=19)

Basically, as long as you're högskolebehörig, they don't care about your grades, it's all about the entrance exam. Also, the cost is 8 500 USD per semester, so CSN won't cover it all (if you're taking csn lån + bidrag).

Daviido
07-17-2012, 02:49 AM
Oh great! Thank you so much, Dulgar!

You wrote in Swedish. But you are not Swedish? Right?

About being "högskoleberhörig"... I'm not that yet.
But I am planing to begin on this Pre Medical School, here in Stockholm.
Do you think that is enough, to get in? So I can begin my studies right after that, in Hungary.

Thanks once again for your answer! :)

Dulgar
07-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Oh great! Thank you so much, Dulgar!

You wrote in Swedish. But you are not Swedish? Right?

About being "högskoleberhörig"... I'm not that yet.
But I am planing to begin on this Pre Medical School, here in Stockholm.
Do you think that is enough, to get in? So I can begin my studies right after that, in Hungary.

Thanks once again for your answer! :)

The Pre-med "http://www.studentum.se/Premedical_school_65472.htm" and the one from moshe coshen (can't find the link) are the only two I know that are in Stockholm, they're a complete waste of your money and CSN doesn't cover the fee, you're better off doing a "tekniskt basår" Utbildning, Tekniskt basår (http://www.studentum.se/tekniskt_basaar___20__.html) which is one year of basically Kemi A, Fysik B and Matte E, or you could take three separate courses called "biologi basår", "förberedande kurs i kemi" and "förberedande kurs i fysik" which are completely free and will give you the same (or better) knowledge in my opinion.

You must have högskolekompetens, for this you need 90% G as average in your slutbetyg från gymnasiet if you've graduated before 2010. Since you're not yet behörig I'm assuming you've yet to graduate so you need G in 2250 points (that's all the courses in a Naturvetenskaplig program) and if you've read additional courses, that is, have more than 2250 points, which is what I did, you can have IG but not in Svenska A-B, MaA, Engelska A. <- this because of the new law.

So in short, no the pre-med is not enough, you still need to have a gymnasiediplom which makes you able to enter Högskolan in Sweden, and no, you should not do the pre-med, instead do the courses which are offered in https://www.antagning.se/se/start which prepare you for Biology https://www.antagning.se/se/search?period=VT_2013&freeText=Bas%C3%A5r%2C+Distans%2C+Biologi+A, Chemistry https://www.antagning.se/se/addtobasket?period=Sommar_2012&id=KTH-30025 and Physics https://www.antagning.se/se/search?period=Sommar_2012&freeText=F%C3%B6rberedande+kurs+i+fysik.

I'm from Sweden, Stockholm.

Daviido
07-18-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm from Sweden, Stockholm.

Wow! Tack så mycket för ditt svar!

I was thinking about doing a "tekniskt basår". It is definitely much better, than Pre-med. But I don't have the requirements, needed to get in. (Matematik B)
And I can't study at distance. I don't have the discipline, to do that.

About the Pre-Med. Yeah it is expensive, but I will guaranteed get into the university, if I pass the examination.
But it is only a few selected university's, I get this "free-ticket too" after the Pre-med. None of those selected are in Hungary.
So if I don't pass the examination, the first time. I can go the Pre-med a second time, for free. (That's a good thing!)

Studerar du nu?

:)

Dulgar
07-19-2012, 04:02 AM
Wow! Tack så mycket för ditt svar!

I was thinking about doing a "tekniskt basår". It is definitely much better, than Pre-med. But I don't have the requirements, needed to get in. (Matematik B)
And I can't study at distance. I don't have the discipline, to do that.

About the Pre-Med. Yeah it is expensive, but I will guaranteed get into the university, if I pass the examination.
But it is only a few selected university's, I get this "free-ticket too" after the Pre-med. None of those selected are in Hungary.
So if I don't pass the examination, the first time. I can go the Pre-med a second time, for free. (That's a good thing!)

Studerar du nu?

:)

Hmm.. None of the "pre-med" courses I've heard of that teach in Stockholm have a free ticket, you still have to pass the individual entrance exams that each medical school offer.

Yeah I'm in T3.

Good luck with your decision!

Daviido
07-19-2012, 04:39 AM
Hmm.. None of the "pre-med" courses I've heard of that teach in Stockholm have a free ticket, you still have to pass the individual entrance exams that each medical school offer.

Yeah I'm in T3.

Good luck with your decision!

Yeah I know.Thats why I wrote "Free-ticket". Because I only have to pass the individual examination. Which means that, I don't need any grades from "gymnasiet".
(This is the schools I can choose after passed examination; Charles University of Prag, and Zagreb University of Croatia.)

T3? Nice. In which country and school, are you studying? If I may ask?

Do you have any advice for me? I mean general tips and advice, about all this.
I am split when it comes to choose which school or country, to study in.
Maybe I should skip Hungary, and instead choose one of the schools that Pre-Med "offers" after passed examination.

This is the problem.
I've never studied "naturvetenskapliga ämnen" before.
So the question is:
Do you think Pre-med can prepare me enough to the University I choose?
Cuz when I talked to the teachers in Pre-med. They made everything sound so simple and easy. I mean, only if I start the Pre-med.
They said, Pre-med is all I need. Cuz they will educate me from basic to university level. (In 16 weeks)
To me it sounds too good to be true.
Do you have any opinion about that?

Tack på förhand! Din hjälp har varit värdefull hittills!

Dulgar
07-19-2012, 07:25 AM
Yeah I know.Thats why I wrote "Free-ticket". Because I only have to pass the individual examination. Which means that, I don't need any grades from "gymnasiet".
(This is the schools I can choose after passed examination; Charles University of Prag, and Zagreb University of Croatia.)

T3? Nice. In which country and school, are you studying? If I may ask?

Do you have any advice for me? I mean general tips and advice, about all this.
I am split when it comes to choose which school or country, to study in.
Maybe I should skip Hungary, and instead choose one of the schools that Pre-Med "offers" after passed examination.

This is the problem.
I've never studied "naturvetenskapliga ämnen" before.
So the question is:
Do you think Pre-med can prepare me enough to the University I choose?
Cuz when I talked to the teachers in Pre-med. They made everything sound so simple and easy. I mean, only if I start the Pre-med.
They said, Pre-med is all I need. Cuz they will educate me from basic to university level. (In 16 weeks)
To me it sounds too good to be true.
Do you have any opinion about that?

Tack på förhand! Din hjälp har varit värdefull hittills!

All schools in these parts of the EU (Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Romania, etc..) will accept you into their schools just by doing an entrance exam, for example, every medical school in Hungary will accept any högskolebehörig applicant if they've passed their entrance exam, you can have everything G and still be accepted.

Can the Pre-med teach you enough to get accepted into the uni of your choice? Yes. Can it prepare you to survive your first year? No, not without you doing a lot of extra self-studying at home, especially since you've not done any NV. Vilken linje läste du?

Of course they're going to make it all sound easy, they want you to buy what they're selling, knowing that you can get the same and even better for free at university. Beware, everything here will be "easy" when you ask agents and people making profit of us, "if you take this course you're guaranteed to get into the medical school of your choice", "if you take tutoring with me you're going to pass", etc.. All I've heard about pre-med courses, or as they call it here "Basic medicine courses" are bad things, because, they prepare you to pass the entrance exam, nothing more, but there may be exceptions.

Haven't you had any NV courses at all? Like FyA-B, BiA-B or KeA-B?

I'm studying in Debrecen, Hungary.

Vsg! Hjälper mer än gärna :)

Daviido
07-19-2012, 04:12 PM
All schools in these parts of the EU (Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Romania, etc..) will accept you into their schools just by doing an entrance exam, for example, every medical school in Hungary will accept any högskolebehörig applicant if they've passed their entrance exam, you can have everything G and still be accepted.

Can the Pre-med teach you enough to get accepted into the uni of your choice? Yes. Can it prepare you to survive your first year? No, not without you doing a lot of extra self-studying at home, especially since you've not done any NV. Vilken linje läste du?

Of course they're going to make it all sound easy, they want you to buy what they're selling, knowing that you can get the same and even better for free at university. Beware, everything here will be "easy" when you ask agents and people making profit of us, "if you take this course you're guaranteed to get into the medical school of your choice", "if you take tutoring with me you're going to pass", etc.. All I've heard about pre-med courses, or as they call it here "Basic medicine courses" are bad things, because, they prepare you to pass the entrance exam, nothing more, but there may be exceptions.

Haven't you had any NV courses at all? Like FyA-B, BiA-B or KeA-B?

I'm studying in Debrecen, Hungary.

Vsg! Hjälper mer än gärna :)

Wow! Thank you so much!
Finally, an answer which is really understandable!
(I've been talking to different kinds of people. But I just turned out to be totally confused by their answers.)

And you've got me rethinking about doing a "tekniskt-basår" or taking "fristående kurser".
It sounds cheaper and better.
I guess I can still do one of those examinations tests. (After "tekniskt-basår" and everything!)
Say I got the points that I need. But I still need to study Naturvetenskapliga ämnen. And I choose to study them by my own.
Do you have tips on what I should focus on?

And yeah! Once again thank you for opening my eyes, about Pre-med school.

Ehum...
I have a question about those 2250 points.
I'am not sure how much I have. So I need to count them.
But the question is; How do I count them?
How much is G worth? VG? And so on... If you know?
I guess that I am "högskolebehörig" But I need to be sure!

Well...
I studied omvårdnadsprogrammet. Cuz I already knew back then, that I wanted to work with people. (Help them and be responsible for their health)
So my counselor from högstadiet, got me thinking that OP was the right choice for me.
But I feel cheated now.
Because it was not what I had in my mind.
Anyway...
Here am I today. Utbildad till mentalskötare/undersköterska.
But thanks to some bad personal reasons. I went out from gymnasiet with really bad grades.
But I guess it is not totally hopeless yet. (I'm 23y.o.)
Or? Tell me if I should concern about that again...

About studying outside Sweden.
Is it necessary to learn a new country's language?

Jag uppskattar verkligen din hjälp!
Jag känner inga som jag kan bolla mina frågor med. Dvs. Ingen som studerar till läkare, eller har studerat.
Samt att alla studievägledare som jag har frågat, har aldrig haft mer koll än mig...

Dulgar
07-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Wow! Thank you so much!
Finally, an answer which is really understandable!
(I've been talking to different kinds of people. But I just turned out to be totally confused by their answers.)

And you've got me rethinking about doing a "tekniskt-basår" or taking "fristående kurser".
It sounds cheaper and better.
I guess I can still do one of those examinations tests. (After "tekniskt-basår" and everything!)
Say I got the points that I need. But I still need to study Naturvetenskapliga ämnen. And I choose to study them by my own.
Do you have tips on what I should focus on?

And yeah! Once again thank you for opening my eyes, about Pre-med school.

Ehum...
I have a question about those 2250 points.
I'am not sure how much I have. So I need to count them.
But the question is; How do I count them?
How much is G worth? VG? And so on... If you know?
I guess that I am "högskolebehörig" But I need to be sure!

Well...
I studied omvårdnadsprogrammet. Cuz I already knew back then, that I wanted to work with people. (Help them and be responsible for their health)
So my counselor from högstadiet, got me thinking that OP was the right choice for me.
But I feel cheated now.
Because it was not what I had in my mind.
Anyway...
Here am I today. Utbildad till mentalskötare/undersköterska.
But thanks to some bad personal reasons. I went out from gymnasiet with really bad grades.
But I guess it is not totally hopeless yet. (I'm 23y.o.)
Or? Tell me if I should concern about that again...

About studying outside Sweden.
Is it necessary to learn a new country's language?

Jag uppskattar verkligen din hjälp!
Jag känner inga som jag kan bolla mina frågor med. Dvs. Ingen som studerar till läkare, eller har studerat.
Samt att alla studievägledare som jag har frågat, har aldrig haft mer koll än mig...

Yeah, you will and you must do an entrance exam for most schools, except for maybe 1 or 2 in Poland where they check your grades, VG average in KeA-B, BiA-B and FyA-B, and in Romania I think there was one school, can't remember the name though, also you have the ones in Croatia and more "unusual" places for Swedish people to study in EU, which require having an average of whatever to get in.

Here you can calculate your grade average Räkna ut ditt snittbetyg (http://www.studentum.se/Raekna_ut_ditt_snittbetyg__d4766.html), and how much your course is worth can be checked next to the name of your course in your diploma, for example Chemistry B is worth 150p, Biology B 50p etc.
You can check your points for each course included in an omvårdnadsprogram, not sure if it still looks the same after the reforms though Omvårdnadsprogrammet - Stockholm, KompetensUtvecklingsInstitutet (http://www.studentum.se/Omvaardnadsprogrammet_Stockholm_77662.htm)

About your grades, I wouldn't worry, I graduated with 22,07 something points and struggled like mad in T1 and T2, while some people that graduated with everything G, that's like 12 points passed and with 4's and 5's on the exams, the grading scale being 1-5, 5 being like an MVG, so high-school grades really mean nothing over here :P

You being 23 also means nothing, there are people here, mostly Israelis that are around 25~28 and doing 1st year, most Swedes though are around 20~22 in first year.

You don't need to learn the language, but you should.. then again, with all the study, no one really bothers learning the language.

Don't worry! Bara att fråga på, har du nån privat fråga så ere bara att skicka ett PM så svarar jag :D

Daviido
07-21-2012, 03:37 AM
Once again, thank you so much. You really have been a great help, Dulgar!
I really do appreciate your answers here!

I am thinking about study a bit, by my own. Just to prepare myself for the examination, and of course my future Med school.
(chemistry, biology)
Do you think that's possible?

What do you think about Hungary? And the people there. I've have never been in hungary...
Do you like your Med teachers?

I have been in contact with a swedish representative, from Semmelweis.
If everything works out to be OK. Then I will sign up for the fall 2013. The examination is in june next year. So I have almost a whole year, to prepare my self!
Tip? Anything special I should focus on?

Good to hear, that I don't need to learn another language. :)

Oh by the way! About those oral examinations...
You do them in front of the whole class? Or individual with a teacher?

Did you have any previous knowledge of for example the human anatomy, before you began Med school?
I was thinking if there was something I should practice, right now?

Tack på förhand!

Dulgar
07-22-2012, 04:39 AM
Once again, thank you so much. You really have been a great help, Dulgar!
I really do appreciate your answers here!

I am thinking about study a bit, by my own. Just to prepare myself for the examination, and of course my future Med school.
(chemistry, biology)
Do you think that's possible?

What do you think about Hungary? And the people there. I've have never been in hungary...
Do you like your Med teachers?

I have been in contact with a swedish representative, from Semmelweis.
If everything works out to be OK. Then I will sign up for the fall 2013. The examination is in june next year. So I have almost a whole year, to prepare my self!
Tip? Anything special I should focus on?

Good to hear, that I don't need to learn another language. :)

Oh by the way! About those oral examinations...
You do them in front of the whole class? Or individual with a teacher?

Did you have any previous knowledge of for example the human anatomy, before you began Med school?
I was thinking if there was something I should practice, right now?

Tack på förhand!

It is totally possible, you should use this: Documents (http://www.meddenpha.com/docs.html) as an outline to what you need to study for the entrance exam, and to get prepared for the subjects of first year, read the school bulletin search for the topics that you're going to have week by week.

I don't like Hungary, I hate the country, I find it very, very dirty and you can see that the government doesn't care for the country, the streets are dirty, broken roads and pavement, people dress like they're in the early 90's, there is no sense of customer service and the people are even more arrogant than us Swedes (and that's hard).
Before applying to any country in this part of Europe, make sure you come here or else you'll have a horrible surprise, like I had.

My medical teachers I hate, there are only two I've found to be good so far, there is no pedagogic teaching here, they just throw the info at you and let you put the pieces together somehow, which is why most people skip seminars and lecture whenever they can and self study.

Oral examinations are done 1 by 1, it's you and a teacher, and they can ask whatever they want, some are out to screw you over.

I had some knowledge of anatomy prior to coming here but it was only enough to skip 1 or 2 weeks of studying.

Daviido
07-22-2012, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the advice, and the documents! And please feel free to send me more helping documents.

Too bad it is like that over there.
But don't you think that we're a little bit spoiled here in Sweden?
Never mind, I understand what you mean.
But have you been in Budapest? People say it's like barcelona...
However, it is really sad that people are so arrogant over there.
I suspect that Poland is the same.

Why do you hate your medical teachers? Are they really that arrogant?
Do you mean that I should go and study in another country?

It feels like it should be a relief that the oral examination are done 1 by 1. But I don't know.

About the knowledge you had before you began. Did you know every part (name and function) of the bones and the muscles?
(I wonder, because I am learning that now...)

Blir säkert lite otydligt nu. Skriver från mobilen... =)

Dulgar
07-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the advice, and the documents! And please feel free to send me more helping documents.

Too bad it is like that over there.
But don't you think that we're a little bit spoiled here in Sweden?
Never mind, I understand what you mean.
But have you been in Budapest? People say it's like barcelona...
However, it is really sad that people are so arrogant over there.
I suspect that Poland is the same.

Why do you hate your medical teachers? Are they really that arrogant?
Do you mean that I should go and study in another country?

It feels like it should be a relief that the oral examination are done 1 by 1. But I don't know.

About the knowledge you had before you began. Did you know every part (name and function) of the bones and the muscles?
(I wonder, because I am learning that now...)

Blir säkert lite otydligt nu. Skriver från mobilen... =)

Hmm.. Imagine Barcelona, during the 50's ~60's, that's a more accurate comparison :P

Spoiled? How?

Hate was a wrong way of describing my feelings towards the teachers.. I erm.. dislike them very much, there is no love for teaching, you don't feel inspired to study or continue your path towards becoming a doctor, rather they confuse you more and more after each lecture/seminar.

If by another country you mean a western country, of course! But if you mean another eastern block country, no, it's all the same, the mentality, the teaching, everything.

One good thing about oral examinations is that, if you get a nice teacher you can always try to make them feel sorry for you, flirt or even as me and my friends call it, knowledge bargain, you show them how much you know until they're happy.

Because I paint, I knew basic anatomical functions of superficial muscles and their names, other than that, no.

Daviido
07-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Hmm.. Imagine Barcelona, during the 50's ~60's, that's a more accurate comparison :P

Spoiled? How?

Hate was a wrong way of describing my feelings towards the teachers.. I erm.. dislike them very much, there is no love for teaching, you don't feel inspired to study or continue your path towards becoming a doctor, rather they confuse you more and more after each lecture/seminar.

If by another country you mean a western country, of course! But if you mean another eastern block country, no, it's all the same, the mentality, the teaching, everything.

One good thing about oral examinations is that, if you get a nice teacher you can always try to make them feel sorry for you, flirt or even as me and my friends call it, knowledge bargain, you show them how much you know until they're happy.

Because I paint, I knew basic anatomical functions of superficial muscles and their names, other than that, no.

Well, that sucks...

Spoiled --> You mentioned about how dirty the country is, and the government doesn't care. And so on...
Here back in sweden, we have it good. Tho it is a pretty boring country, and the weather is even worse. But otherwise it's clean and safe.
However...

What a shame that the teachers are like that.

You paint? Cool!
Hmm... Well I guess then that I am a bit more prepared now, then you were when you started.
And stil I've have more time to learn more. But first I need to focus on the chemistry and biology a bit.

Do you know if you can work in Sweden, right after you are finished in Hungary?
And how about the your "AT-utbildning"? Can you do it here?

Help me now Dulgar. Why should I choose Hungary to study in?
Say something positive about the program/school/country or what ever you feel like.
Otherwise, it feels like I should go for a school outside Europe.

Dulgar
07-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Well, that sucks...

Spoiled --> You mentioned about how dirty the country is, and the government doesn't care. And so on...
Here back in sweden, we have it good. Tho it is a pretty boring country, and the weather is even worse. But otherwise it's clean and safe.
However...

What a shame that the teachers are like that.

You paint? Cool!
Hmm... Well I guess then that I am a bit more prepared now, then you were when you started.
And stil I've have more time to learn more. But first I need to focus on the chemistry and biology a bit.

Do you know if you can work in Sweden, right after you are finished in Hungary?
And how about the your "AT-utbildning"? Can you do it here?

Help me now Dulgar. Why should I choose Hungary to study in?
Say something positive about the program/school/country or what ever you feel like.
Otherwise, it feels like I should go for a school outside Europe.

When you graduate here in Hungary you're forced to do ST, you are not allowed to do AT here with a Hungarian diploma.
Because Hungary is in the EU, you can work whenever you want, without having to do any exams etc, all you need is the approval of Socialstyrelsen.

Positive things.. hmm I can only say about Debrecen medical school:

- The professors here know a lot! They may not be all that helpful but when they help, you can ask anything you want and they'll be able to answer.

- They let you do anything to the bodies during anatomy labs, and you can start touching and opening stuff at first year.

- There are some courses in which they're so lazy, you won't have to study anything but past papers, some people like this, I don't, because I can't memorize straight facts just like that.

- Girls in Hungary are pretty easy, you show them that you have some money and well, you're set for one night ;) This is something I don't like, it's like they're walking STD bombs.

- You get to do one year practice in your home country, that is, you do most of 6th year as rotations in the country and hospital of your choice, given the hospital accepts you.

- I've written more about positive/negative things about Hungary, look it up here in the forum.

Do not study outside of Europe, by the time you graduate, because Sweden is increasing the seats for medical students , it will be hard to get a license here if you've studied outside of EU, same for other EU countries, also, it is much more expensive to study outside of EU, unless you're planning to study in south America.

Don't start studying anatomy right now, you have that 2nd semester, if you want to be prepared for 1st semester, read some Biophysics and Medical chemistry.

HUNACA
07-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Hungarian Academy of Education is offering Scholarship possibilities for Swedish students and also it has a great possibility if you have repeated or failed from any subject during your high school education the Hungarian Universities are not accepting you and WWW HUNACA HU has a possibility for those students during their preparatory education the institution is nostrifying your diplom and after you complete your preparatory education you can directly start your ft year education at the Semmelweis,Szeged,Pecs and Debrecen University.

Don’t Miss The Following Opportunities 10 % Discount for Early Birds !!!

10 % discount for those applying until 31st of August 2012

Registration Fee is Free Until the 1st of August !!!

Last day of application 14th September 2012

Scholarships

Is offered for 10 students who pass our entrance exam with the highest score !!!

1st place is awarded with 100 % scholarship !!!
2nd place is awarded with 75 % scholarship !!!
3rd place is awarded with 50 % scholarship !!!
4th and 5th places are awarded with 25 % scholarship !!!
6th to 10th places are awarded with free dormitory accommodation for the whole academic year !!!

Do not hesitate to APPLY NOW !!!

Tuition Fees For Academic Year 2012-2013

English as a foreign language and Pre-Medical Preparatory Programs : 5.200 € ( EURO) / year

English as a foreign language and Pre-Technical Preparatory Programs : 4.990 € (EURO) / year

English as a foreign language and Pre-IT Preparatory Programs : 4.990 € (EURO) / year

English as a foreign language and Pre-Business Preparatory Programs : 4.990 € (EURO) / year

English as a foreign language and Health Science Preparatory Programs : 4.990 € (EURO) / year

English as a foreign language and Social Science Preparatory Programs : 4.990 € (EURO) / year

English as a foreign language and Pre-Master Preparatory Programs : 6.500 € (EURO) / year

German as a foreign language and Pre-Medical Preparatory Programs : 6.900 € (EURO) / year

Pre-Medical Preparatory Programs : 5.200 € ( EURO) / year

Pre-Technical Preparatory Programs : 4.990 € ( EURO) / year

Pre-IT Preparatory Programs : 4.990 € ( EURO) / year

Pre-Business Preparatory Program : 4.990 € ( EURO) / year

Health Science Preparatory Programs : 4.990 € ( EURO) / year

Social Science Preparatory Programs : 4.990 € ( EURO) / year

Pre-Master Preparatory Programs : 6.500 € (EURO) / year
Other Fees

Application Fee: 200 € (non-refundable)

Registration Fee: 250 € (non-refundable)

Medical Insurance for one year: 150 €

Books,Handouts and other study aids: 200 €

Student Card: 10 €

Daviido
08-05-2012, 05:17 AM
Thanks!

Dulgar, jag skrev ett PM till dig. =)

Ibra211
08-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Hy

Iam interressed to study Medicine in Hungary and I need to know if the foreigners students are obliged to pass an entry exam,also if i still have to make an inscription?does it exist an english or frensh section?

Dulgar
08-08-2012, 07:35 AM
Hy

Iam interressed to study Medicine in Hungary and I need to know if the foreigners students are obliged to pass an entry exam,also if i still have to make an inscription?does it exist an english or frensh section?

Try using the search function for this forum or googling, you'll find the answer for both of your questions simply by googling them, it's not hard...

Anyhow, you have to pass an entrance exam, be it both the written and oral part or just the oral part (if you have a degree), I've heard of some people getting accepted without an entrance exam but they have degrees that fit the curriculum here perfectly I guess. Semmelweis offers medical courses in English, German and of course, Hungarian, the other schools are just English or Hungarian.

I don't get what you mean by
also if i still have to make an inscription? so can't answer that..

milskad
08-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Try using the search function for this forum or googling, you'll find the answer for both of your questions simply by googling them, it's not hard...

Anyhow, you have to pass an entrance exam, be it both the written and oral part or just the oral part (if you have a degree), I've heard of some people getting accepted without an entrance exam but they have degrees that fit the curriculum here perfectly I guess. Semmelweis offers medical courses in English, German and of course, Hungarian, the other schools are just English or Hungarian.

I don't get what you mean by so can't answer that..

Szeged also offers the program in German :)

Dulgar
08-08-2012, 04:11 PM

Oh, had no idea! Good thing you pointed that out :)

african_child
08-09-2012, 12:06 AM
So does Pecs. :p

Dulgar
08-09-2012, 02:36 AM
So does Pecs. :p

Ok so every medical school except for Debrecen.... Wonder why our school doesn't have it :(

Daviido
08-09-2012, 08:21 PM
I wish they could offer the program in Swedish too.

Dulgar
08-10-2012, 02:39 AM

Hehehe yeah :P We're not that many Swedes per year though! (Around 8~12)

Daviido
08-10-2012, 03:04 AM
Hehehe yeah :P We're not that many Swedes per year though! (Around 8~12)

Really? I thought there were so much more Swedes there(?)...
But how many students are you, in each class? (All students) Is it like 100, less or more?

By the way, Dulgar. Did you get my PM?

Dulgar
08-10-2012, 03:38 AM
Really? I thought there were so much more Swedes there(?)...
But how many students are you, in each class? (All students) Is it like 100, less or more?

By the way, Dulgar. Did you get my PM?
There are like 8~12 Swedes per year in Debrecen, I've no idea about the other schools but I'm guessing it's about the same.
We were.. 400 something medical students in Debrecen this year, I guess there are more in Semmelweis, in each class we were 30 to 40 students which is quite a lot..

Yeah I did, and I answered it :) (loooong time ago)

--
I answered it again just in case.

african_child
08-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Ha ha ha. Keep dreaming! :p

Daviido
08-10-2012, 07:57 PM
There are like 8~12 Swedes per year in Debrecen, I've no idea about the other schools but I'm guessing it's about the same.
We were.. 400 something medical students in Debrecen this year, I guess there are more in Semmelweis, in each class we were 30 to 40 students which is quite a lot..

Yeah I did, and I answered it :) (loooong time ago)

--

I answered it again just in case.

Thank you! I received your answer now.

30-40 Students in each class, sounds good. I mean, I really thought you were like around 100 students, in each class.
So compare to that, is 30-40 really good! But you still think that's a lot. How come? Do you have small classrooms?

Ha ha ha. Keep dreaming! :p

haha
Well... Dreams is all I have now. ;)

african_child
08-11-2012, 01:38 AM
30-40 Students in each class, sounds good.

To give you an idea of the attrition rate in Debrecen, when we started out back in 2008, we were like 25-30 students per group ( seminar groups, that is). But in my group now, we're 10 (I dunno why, but repeaters never choose to be in our group). Unfortunately, over the years you'll see some of your coolest friends leave:(. But then maybe Dulgar's set are smarter than ours and a lot make it to the clinical years!;)

Daviido
08-11-2012, 03:42 AM
To give you an idea of the attrition rate in Debrecen, when we started out back in 2008, we were like 25-30 students per group ( seminar groups, that is). But in my group now, we're 10 (I dunno why, but repeaters never choose to be in our group). Unfortunately, over the years you'll see some of your coolest friends leave:(. But then maybe Dulgar's set are smarter than ours and a lot make it to the clinical years!;)

That is really small classes.
And about friends leaving, that's really sad...
How difficult is it really? I mean, if so many eventually gives up and leave school.
Can you tell if there is a particular group of students who leave? (Like the youngest in class?)
I've heard that, the engineering education is much more harder than become a doctor.

Correct me if I am wrong.
The two first years in med school is the hardest, of the entire education.

Dulgar
08-11-2012, 05:02 AM

No... we're the dumbest, we had the highest fail rate in the history of Debrecen, which is why dean changed so many rules this year.

Dulgar
08-11-2012, 05:10 AM
That is really small classes.
And about friends leaving, that's really sad...
How difficult is it really? I mean, if so many eventually gives up and leave school.
Can you tell if there is a particular group of students who leave? (Like the youngest in class?)
I've heard that, the engineering education is much more harder than become a doctor.

Correct me if I am wrong.
The two first years in med school is the hardest, of the entire education.

Believe me, 25-30, 30-40 sounds small but it is a lot of people in a small space, imagine going to Swedish high school with a class of 40 in a classroom, that's what you're getting.

Engineering is hard because you need a lot of theoretical background to solve something, but all in all, it's like mathematics, you have a formula for every problem, medicine in the other hand is hard because of the volume of the knowledge, there is just soooooooooo much to read and to memorize, memorization is the worst in medicine...

The 3rd year is the hardest, at least here in Debrecen.

african_child
08-11-2012, 02:15 PM
I've written my own "survival kit" for Debrecen sometime back on this forum. Unfortunately, I can't seem to lay my hand on it. But the few things that came off the top of my head now are:
1. Be serious from day one. Take exemptions seriously as these make a LOT of difference.
2. Be "campus smart". Keep your eyes peeled for past papers to assess yourself.
3. Time management is golden. Know when to be in the library (or TB or wherever you read) and when to be in the club.
4. Where you can, read ahead of seminars. Some concepts become clearer as you read them over and over again or when discussed in seminars.
5. Study groups might help, especially if there's some hot girl in there :D
6. Lastly, defy the mainstream belief in Debrecen that lectures are next to useless. Attend a lecture yourself first and determine whether it's a waste of your time or not. Try really REALLY hard to motivate yourself to open the daunting, imposing, scary and huge textbooks! You can make your own notes (maybe based on the given "topic lists", but try to read everything for the purpose of becoming a good doc). Or you can begin to read other students' notes (eg Avi's, Kalmanovich etc) as the exams close on you. Be aware, however, that some courses only require the knowledge given in the lecture slides to ace.

But of course, we all have our time-tested and tried studying strategies. Stick to the one that works best for you.

Of course, there are many reasons why students fail. But IMHO, the main reason is the insufficient command of the English language some students have. Believe it or not, some students learn English when they came to Debrecen. How can someone possibly read textbooks in English written by native English speaking authors and expect to comprehend within a short time of learning the language? In those days when we were stupid, we used to laugh at people's English during presentations in both Biophysics and Molecular Biology. Nobody has time for that now.

Sometimes the number may not be small like Dulgar pointed out because in some seminars 2 groups can be combined and that just strains the class.

@Dulgar
That really cracked me up. Ha ha, seriously? The dean made changes? Well, he's a nice man anyway. What did he do? Reduce the passing mark for Biophysics to 30%? He he.
I pity those students that will be here while Prof. Antal is the dean. I'm crying for them right now.

Dulgar
08-11-2012, 02:33 PM
I've written my own "survival kit" for Debrecen sometime back on this forum. Unfortunately, I can't seem to lay my hand on it. But the few things that came off the top of my head now are:
1. Be serious from day one. Take exemptions seriously as these make a LOT of difference.
3. Time management is golden. Know when to be in the library (or TB or wherever you read) and when to be in the club.
4. Where you can, read ahead of seminars. Some concepts become clearer as you read them over and over again or when discussed in seminars.
6. Lastly, defy the mainstream belief in Debrecen that lectures are next to useless. Attend a lecture yourself first and determine whether it's a waste of your time or not. Try really REALLY hard to motivate yourself to open the daunting, imposing, scary and huge textbooks! You can make your own notes (maybe based on the given "topic lists", but try to read everything for the purpose of becoming a good doc). Or you can begin to read other students' notes (eg Avi's, Kalmanovich etc) as the exams close on you. Be aware, however, that some courses only require the knowledge given in the lecture slides to ace.

But of course, we all have our time-tested and tried studying strategies. Stick to the one that works best for you.

Of course, there are many reasons why students fail. But IMHO, the main reason is the insufficient command of the English language some students have. Believe it or not, some students learn English when they came to Debrecen. How can someone possibly read textbooks in English written by native English speaking authors and expect to comprehend within a short time of learning the language? In those days when we were stupid, we used to laugh at people's English during presentations in both Biophysics and Molecular Biology. Nobody has time for that now.

Sometimes the number may not be small like Dulgar pointed out because in some seminars 2 groups can be combined and that just strains the class.

@Dulgar
That really cracked me up. Ha ha, seriously? The dean made changes? Well, he's a nice man anyway. What did he do? Reduce the passing mark for Biophysics to 30%? He he.
I pity those students that will be here while Prof. Antal is the dean. I'm crying for them right now.

I'm not aware of all the changes but I know he made changes like, you can't retake an exam for a subject next semester if you haven't passed all the subjects for your current semester etc, I know there were similar rules but they were less strict to enforce them, now he got mad! This dean is the devil :P

Are we getting prof. Antal, anatomy dep. prof Antal as dean?!.. Oh lord what awaits us :(

Daviido
08-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Believe me, 25-30, 30-40 sounds small but it is a lot of people in a small space, imagine going to Swedish high school with a class of 40 in a classroom, that's what you're getting.

Engineering is hard because you need a lot of theoretical background to solve something, but all in all, it's like mathematics, you have a formula for every problem, medicine in the other hand is hard because of the volume of the knowledge, there is just soooooooooo much to read and to memorize, memorization is the worst in medicine...

The 3rd year is the hardest, at least here in Debrecen.

Oh man... I thought you had those big halls as classrooms. Like this picture http ://farm4.static.flickr.com/3439/3722413559_c3837314a2.jpg (put http next to the rest of the link)

About the 3rd year as the hardest year. Don't you have your first practice in some hospital, that year?
I don't remember where I heard that. But should be like finished with hardest part of the whole education before your practice.
Just so you can focus on the clinical part. And of course, by now you should start to read about different types of diseases and so on...

@Dulgar

haha hilarious! But so good!
Best "survival kit" ever! Thank you so much for taking your time, to make one!

Which year are you at african_child?

I'm not aware of all the changes but I know he made changes like, you can't retake an exam for a subject next semester if you haven't passed all the subjects for your current semester etc, I know there were similar rules but they were less strict to enforce them, now he got mad! This dean is the devil :P

Are we getting prof. Antal, anatomy dep. prof Antal as dean?!.. Oh lord what awaits us :(

Dulgar and african_child.
Do you guys know each other, I mean in real life? =)

Dulgar
08-12-2012, 06:25 AM
Oh man... I thought you had those big halls as classrooms. Like this picture http ://farm4.static.flickr.com/3439/3722413559_c3837314a2.jpg (put http next to the rest of the link)

About the 3rd year as the hardest year. Don't you have your first practice in some hospital, that year?
I don't remember where I heard that. But should be like finished with hardest part of the whole education before your practice.
Just so you can focus on the clinical part. And of course, by now you should start to read about different types of diseases and so on...

haha hilarious! But so good!
Best "survival kit" ever! Thank you so much for taking your time, to make one!

Which year are you at african_child?

Dulgar and african_child.
Do you guys know each other, I mean in real life? =)

Another tip is to befriend the Jewish people and the Saudis, they seem to know most of the stuff needed to pass.

No, I don't think we've ever met. =/

Daviido
08-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Another tip is to befriend the Jewish people and the Saudis, they seem to know most of the stuff needed to pass.

No, I don't think we've ever met. =/

Thanks for the tip, I'll have it in my mind.

african_child
08-13-2012, 03:12 AM
No we haven't met in person yet. I'll be looking forward to it though. :D

djay
08-22-2012, 04:29 PM

@Dulgar

seriously! thanks for taking your time to type all that....ummmm....can you pls explain what you meant by 'exemptions' in tip #1? thank you seriously...

the_red_devil
08-25-2012, 01:13 AM
No... we're the dumbest, we had the highest fail rate in the history of Debrecen, which is why dean changed so many rules this year.
I know several people who came here expecting to lead a cool life with lots of fun and minimal studying because they thought they were super smart and could get by with past papers and student notes. Boy were they in for a rude shock.

the_red_devil
08-25-2012, 01:16 AM

Please tell me you're kidding. Even if this is true, I hope he becomes dean after we're done with this school. I can't imagine the atrocities he'd commit.

Dulgar
08-25-2012, 04:38 AM
I know several people who came here expecting to lead a cool life with lots of fun and minimal studying because they thought they were super smart and could get by with past papers and student notes. Boy were they in for a rude shock.

I know a lot of people that actually managed to get by with past papers and student notes only.. which makes me sad and a bit annoyed :P

the_red_devil
08-25-2012, 06:36 AM
I know a lot of people that actually managed to get by with past papers and student notes only.. which makes me sad and a bit annoyed :P
That makes the two of us. But there's no way anyone's going to become a good doctor without putting in some serious effort. Past papers and notes can only take you so far.

african_child
08-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Pardon me for intruding on your discussion. As someone who just finished 4th year, I'm beginning to see how everything falls into place as part of the jig-saw puzzle, or big picture as you may wish to call it. Believe it or not, even some abstract albeit basic concepts in biophysics will come to haunt you later in your studies. I just finished radiology and some of the final exams topic lists included explanation on generation of x-rays, NMR, US, & MRI. You guys may remember better than I did as I believe these were discussed in biophysics. Anyway, no one remembered vividly in 4th year. So we had to go back to study them again. But because during my time I burst my *** (literally) to study biophysics, they were much easier for me to study the 2nd time. People that merely passed the course by just memorising past papers and answers had a tougher time reading through these again. I know cuz I have a friend who was among the "smart" ones back then.
But let's leave biophysics. Let's look at more important courses like cell biology. Remember all those action potentials, Na & K channels,receptors, 2nd messengers etc? Well, they are a recurring theme throughout basic sciences ( you'd see them again and again and again in physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology. Heck! Even in immunology). Understanding them (and not merely memorising) will help you understand bigger concepts later (you'll still do them in much detail in 2nd semester biochemistry). The knowledge in medicine seems to be "cumulative" rather than random or mutual. Sometimes you need to understand smaller concepts in order to understand bigger ones or get the big picture.
Well, who am I kidding? I know you know all these things. I just thought maybe I should reiterate their importance. I took my time to understand them back in the day (well, we still discuss them even now anyways) and that has made studying them again now fairly easy. As I prepare for my USMLE step 1 now, I keep patting myself on the back for my previous hard work. This has helped make my present preparation a lot easier! I'm rather ashamed to admit that some people in my year still cannot explain some basic concepts. Don't worry, you'll see them in your set as you await your turn in an oral exams room.
Whoever plans to do any standardised exams later (eg USMLE) should really take the time to understand the basics. I've seen all sorts of questions in the simulated Q-banks I'm using now. Some that can be answered with mere 1st year knowledge. That makes me remember what someone said before, "preparation for step 1 starts from 1st year." I can't agree less.
Unfortunately for me, I've to do 2 standardised exams (the other for practice in my country). So I've no option than to keep refreshing my memory on basic sciences.
In summary, any time used judiciously in studying basic sciences concepts will surely pay off later. Some times in the clinics, right before your patient :)

fbuni
08-25-2012, 02:08 PM
can't wait to hear from your USMLE experience :)

african_child
08-26-2012, 12:32 PM
can't wait to hear from your USMLE experience :)
will let u knw (if it goes well:p). r u planning on taking it?

djay
08-27-2012, 02:46 AM
African_child, could you pls answer my question?? :-(. I think it's the 41st post on this thread...merci beaucoup!:-)

african_child
08-27-2012, 07:16 AM
exemptions have been explained a gazillion times on this forum, djay! :banghead: but i'll explain it to you nonetheless. you see, during the semester, you'll have some tests (in certain courses) which contribute to your final grade for a course. if you score high enough in these tests, you'll get an "offered" grade (anything from 'satisfactory' to 'excellent'). if you're satisfied w/ the grade, you can choose to accept it and you DON'T have to do the exams for that course during the exams time at the end of the semester. other exemptions are less potent & can only exempt you from some parts of a final exams eg the written part. in these exams, you still have to go for oral part.
exemptions are good because you'll have fewer exams to do @ the end of the semester and you can decide to travel back home early. having fewer exams to do can also reduce stress & give you more time to concentrate on other courses and thus improving your chances of getting higher grades in them. exemptions are really golden.
however be aware of a few things: not all courses have exemptions and most exemptions are in the first semester.
BTW, does your username have anything to do with d-jay, the character in street fighter? ;)

fbuni
08-27-2012, 07:47 AM
will let u knw (if it goes well:p). r u planning on taking it?

Thank you Iam going to 3rd year so the USMLEs would in after next year or so :)

djay
08-31-2012, 01:05 PM
exemptions have been explained a gazillion times on this forum, djay! :banghead: but i'll explain it to you nonetheless. you see, during the semester, you'll have some tests (in certain courses) which contribute to your final grade for a course. if you score high enough in these tests, you'll get an "offered" grade (anything from 'satisfactory' to 'excellent'). if you're satisfied w/ the grade, you can choose to accept it and you DON'T have to do the exams for that course during the exams time at the end of the semester. other exemptions are less potent & can only exempt you from some parts of a final exams eg the written part. in these exams, you still have to go for oral part.
exemptions are good because you'll have fewer exams to do @ the end of the semester and you can decide to travel back home early. having fewer exams to do can also reduce stress & give you more time to concentrate on other courses and thus improving your chances of getting higher grades in them. exemptions are really golden.
however be aware of a few things: not all courses have exemptions and most exemptions are in the first semester.
BTW, does your username have anything to do with d-jay, the character in street fighter? ;)

thanks a gazillion! I'm sorry to disappoint you...i've not even seen the movie/game/comic book before st googled it now :p ..I'm now in school.

emmm....i've been given the list of subjects for the semester (11 or 13 in all)and my group already. i really do not understand. What's with the Physical Education and Basic Hospitalization Techniques? Any tips/advice pls?

what is NEPTUN all about??

the_red_devil
08-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Physical education is an elective which you can take any time between now and 5th year. You need to do it over the course of four semesters to be able to graduate. Don't worry about it now if you can't do it 'cause you'll have time for it later. Basic hospitalization techniques in an elective for extra credits. Go to the relevant department for further info or ask in the education office. NEPTUN is something which you'll curse sooner or later. Basically, its like an online portfolio of your academics. You register for your subjects and exams by using it. Again, the education office should provide more complete info about it if you ask them.

djay
08-31-2012, 05:06 PM
Curse NEPTUN? Why might that be?

djay
08-31-2012, 05:23 PM
this is what they said:
'You are required to fulfil 4 semesters physical education during your studies.' 4? when would i have time to do it? Anyway, since i hear that years 2 and 3 are most demanding, do you think i should consider doing it in yrs 4 and 5?

too many questions, right? pls do well to attempt all...i've even got more!

What does L S and P stand for as regards credit hours? wHAT do ESE, AW5 and sign. stand for? Also, how does the group thing work? I was told the dean does not allow changing of groups? I was also told the Dean is going to call for a meeting...this 'DEAN' reminds me of the book '1984'...his name goes before him...BIG BROTHER. It's spooky!

the_red_devil
09-01-2012, 03:53 AM
this is what they said:
'You are required to fulfil 4 semesters physical education during your studies.' 4? when would i have time to do it? Anyway, since i hear that years 2 and 3 are most demanding, do you think i should consider doing it in yrs 4 and 5?

too many questions, right? pls do well to attempt all...i've even got more!

What does L S and P stand for as regards credit hours? wHAT do ESE, AW5 and sign. stand for? Also, how does the group thing work? I was told the dean does not allow changing of groups? I was also told the Dean is going to call for a meeting...this 'DEAN' reminds me of the book '1984'...his name goes before him...BIG BROTHER. It's spooky!

Aah! My bad! P.Ed is supposed to be done 4 times.(?) In that case, try to do it in both semesters in the first year for sure. And then whenever possible in later years.
You'll have about 30-35 students in your group. You'll be stuck with them for the next 5 years so make sure that you're on good terms with all of them 'cause you'll need their help eventually. You attend seminars together and labs and blah blah and basically you'll be spending a lot of time together.
Don't worry about the dean from now. He's going to be the topic of several discussions as the year goes on. You'll find out just how spooky he is ;)

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.