PDA

View Full Version : Szeged Anatomy Summer Course

Num
07-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Hi everyone,

Could anyone please give me some input on how detailed and difficult the anatomy summer course is in Szeged?
If you could give me an example of how detailed a certain topic could be.

Thanks so much!!

fbuni
07-12-2012, 06:59 PM
Hello Num,
-The material itself is NOT difficult but the amount of material is overwhelming... However, having a good relationship with the teachers will help you alot :)
- the exam questions are "list type of questions" ie things they went over in class? i suggest going though the material they give you and memorizing anything that can be listed.
- if you have taken anatomy in undergrad it will help you a great amount... do not stress though because you will NOT be able to learn everything they teach you but if you study daily you will be able to pass to 2nd year no problem! ps every one in the anatomy course last year made it to 2nd year :)
if you got any other questions feel free to ask :)

Num
07-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Hello Num,
-The material itself is NOT difficult but the amount of material is overwhelming... However, having a good relationship with the teachers will help you alot :)
- the exam questions are "list type of questions" ie things they went over in class? i suggest going though the material they give you and memorizing anything that can be listed.
- if you have taken anatomy in undergrad it will help you a great amount... do not stress though because you will NOT be able to learn everything they teach you but if you study daily you will be able to pass to 2nd year no problem! ps every one in the anatomy course last year made it to 2nd year :)
if you got any other questions feel free to ask :)

Thanks for the quick reply! This information is great, I feel a bit relieved now :)
I did take a full year course in anatomy during my undergrad studies, but I had difficulty with muscle innervations so I am going over them before the class, I imagine they are included in the course? And is the exam fully written, or is there an oral laboratory portion to it as well?

Also, a few more questions. During the second year, what is the distribution of oral/written exams like? And for oral exams, what are they like? Also, I read somewhere that students have three shots at passing all exams, is this true at Szeged?

Thanks so much!! :)

fbuni
07-12-2012, 10:01 PM
-The anatomy summer course does not include muscles and innervations (Upper limb and lower limb are normally covered 1st year during the 1st semester but you will have an extra class during 2nd semester of 2nd year to do that. The only thing you will be doing in the anatomy summer course are Thorax and Abdomen and a bit of Histology but dont worry too much about histology.
- The anatomy summer course is fully written but the exams in the 2nd year are mostly oral (for example anatomy is a comprehensive exam from 1st year and 2nd year so if you actually learn what they are teaching you in the summer course that will help you in the end of 2nd year finals).
- To be honest I had an undergrad from canada and we never had an oral exam before but if you can comunicate your knowledge to the prof you will be good to go and yes you have 3 chances to pass the exam. however, always aim to pass the first time because failing is not fun plus you never really have the time to write each exam 3 times!
- if you have any other questions feel free to ask... to be honest I just made the account because your question was about the summer anatomy course :)

african_child
07-13-2012, 04:59 AM
fbuni,

... to be honest I just made the account because your question was about the summer anatomy course :)

Nevertheles, I'm happy to say we're glad that you are here. I've written a lot about Debrecen and some others about Semmelweis, however, we hardly see anyone sharing their experiences about Szeged. But I guess since you're here now, we may at least have some hope that Szeged will continue to be represented. :)
Believe me, no matter how little you share here will be highly appreciated by prospective students (an example is Num above). Please feel free to share both the pros and cons of studying in Szeged.
Allow me to thank you for your time already.
Have a wonderful summer break;)

Num
07-13-2012, 06:56 AM
Yes like african child said, your information is really appreciated, and it would be awesome to hear about the pros and cons of studying at Szeged in your opinion. I have also completed an undergraduate degree in Canada, so it would be interesting to see how that compares to schooling in Szeged.
Also, are you planning on completing the clinical aspect of your studies in Hungary? And what are your plans for residency (Canada, US, or EU) and how possible is it to get a residency spot based on your experience with senior students?

Thanks!

fbuni
07-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Thank you african child :)
- if I can sum up the differences between canada and hungry in two words that would be "self study" and using some supplements videos eg Kaplan USMLE prep course because not everything can be learned using a textbook.
- I can guarantee you that if you are going to go to each and every class you will Fail. Although attendance is mandatory but students always find ways to beat the system. Plus, not all profs are good lecturers so your time is better spent studying on your own
I will adress some of the misconceptions put on here by other students ie "students', "tutoring","cheating" and the "magic power of cleavage" :)
-students- the acceptance standards are low but many if not all of these students do not make it beyond 2nd/3rd year.
-Tutoring- I have heard rumors on this site that if you do not get tutoring from faculty member you will not pass... That is simply NOT true because I have passed every exam the first time around without tutoring.
-cheating- well lets just say that is not a rumor but if you study daily that is not really needed because after all you are going to be patients if your are going to cheat you will become a terrible doctor.
-Power of cleavage- cleavage is a weapon best used in an oral exam. it works in most situations but it can work against you if the examiner is a cleave owner :)
-residency plans- no solid residency plans yet :( as for competition with senior students for residence spots Cons as you pointed out they have more experience Pros many of them have to learn english to comunicate with patients so I think the competition is almost balanced plus you got your youth :)
Final note from a student who is attending medical school in Szeged. People who graduate from Szeged are generally good doctors ie can practice in the US but generally are Not able to compete with Harvard graduates :)

milskad
07-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Fbuni, may I ask how much you spent on books in the first year and also do the professors tell the students what book(s) to get? Also do the professors use the books,mas in tell the students the pages that they should revise etc. thank you

fbuni
07-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Hello milskad,
although I skipped first year because I have a bachelors but the only book that you must have a good anatomy atlas and a good anatomy text book. if you dont mind buying used textbooks I recommend facebooking " Szeged buy and sell" students usually sell their books and other stuff there.

Num
07-17-2012, 05:50 PM
For the text books, is there a list for of recommended books for all courses that the school/teachers provide? And for the anatomy course, what textbook would be the best to purchase from your experience out of the list they provide:
• R. S. Snell: Clinical Anatomy for Medical Students. Little, Brown and Company, latest edition.
• K. W. Chung: Gross Anatomy. Williams and Wilkins, latest edition.
• S. Monkhouse: Clinical Anatomy. A core text and self-assessment. Churchill Livingstone, latest edition.
• P. Köpf-Maier. Atlas of Human Anatomy, I, II, Karger, latest edition.

Is the histology book they recommend a good investment or does it end up being pretty useless?
• L.C. Junqueira, J. Carneiro, R.O. Kelley: Basic Histology. Appleton & Lange, latest edition.

Another question is how does one get from Budapest to Szeged? I was looking at the InterCity train to get there, but I am not really sure how to go about booking tickets online for that, or if the InterCity train is the best way to get to Szeged anyways.

Lol and one more question for today... Is there a christmas break? I saw the academic calendar for the previous year and there was no indicated christmas break, it said that exams are during the period traditionally allocated to christmas breaks... I'm slightly confused..:confused:

fbuni
07-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Ok here are my recommendation for anatomy text books

• R. S. Snell: Clinical Anatomy for Medical Students. Little, Brown and Company, latest edition. ( Great anatomy Atlas)
• K. W. Chung: Gross Anatomy. Williams and Wilkins, latest edition. (very well written but requires some prior knowledge of the material)
• KOVAC's notes ( these are well written notes by an anatomy teacher in Debrecen they point out things that are often missed by students) if you cant find them send me your email and I will email you a PDF copy (MUST have in my opinion)

-finally some anatomy video supplements. I would post you a great link but this website does not allow me to do that :(

-Histology textbooks you can get by without too much knowledge of histology but you must learn it in 3rd year so the book is not really necessary
- a great video supplement for this is "Shot Gun histology on Youtube" a well made series by a pathologist from the US

- now you could take the IC train but I prefer using a taxi which would cost around 100 dollars... trust me it will be worth it after an 8 hour flight and jetlag ( plus you are less likely to get acquainted with friendly gypsies) :lolup:

- well Christmas break is a funny thing, the exam period spans a month ( may be a little more) if you are able to complete your exams in a week or two you will have an Christmas break if not (well you dont have one) simple as that. By the way where are you from in canada?

Num
07-19-2012, 07:29 PM
taxiLolTaxi it is! Lol so I suppose as soon as one passes all their exams, they book a pricey last minut ticket home ...interesting lol
As for the books, should I count on a place to get them in Szeged or should I haul them there with me?
I'm from Ontario, yourself?

Num
07-20-2012, 04:44 PM
I mean even for books I will be using during second year if I pass. Should I buy the ones on the official booklist on the school website before I come or after?

fbuni
07-21-2012, 09:21 AM
-The books are cheaper in Szeged but if you have bought books(from undergrad) it would be a good idea to bring them along.
- for the plane ticket, its a good idea to buy the first ticket one way and buy the return a two way ticket because you know when you are going to Szeged but you will not be able to tell when you are done exams.
- and Iam also from Ontario :)

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.