PDA

View Full Version : Doctor/Patient Relationship Courses

benevolo
07-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Is there anyone here on the island right now who has seen the new curriculum? Is it basically the old physical exam course split up over 4 semesters or have they tried to make it more informative? On the website they say you are using whole body patient simulators - is that true?

TampaGirl
07-08-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm in 1st semester, so I can't comment about the whole body simulators (I'm guessing that would come later in the curriculum) but what we have done so far is learn about professionalism, patient interviewing, responding to emotion in a patient interview, and taking a patient history. We have labs that correspond to the lectures, and we just had an exam where we had partners and took turns role-playing a doctor/patient interview. According to our syllabus, a review of systems is next, followed by our "final exam" which is an oral exam.

g35
07-08-2012, 05:18 PM
1st semester - as above
2nd - physical exam skills
3rd - quiz you on abdominal issues, head/neck exam, prenatal/postnatal care
4th - same as previous physical diagnosis classes

The point is just to familiarize students with PD stuff before they get to PD (now called DPR IV?)

They used a plastic torso model in DPR2 but not like the realistic simulators at mainland med schools

benevolo
07-08-2012, 05:27 PM
1st semester - as above
2nd - physical exam skills
3rd - quiz you on abdominal issues, head/neck exam, prenatal/postnatal care
4th - same as previous physical diagnosis classes

The point is just to familiarize students with PD stuff before they get to PD (now called DPR IV?)

They used a plastic torso model in DPR2 but not like the realistic simulators at mainland med schools

Thanks for the info. So what exactly is this 'plastic torso model' and what is it good for then. I think AUC, SGU and other carib schools have several of the realistic ($$$) simulators and with the rising tuition it's sad to see Saba can't afford to buy proper facilities and equipment.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.