PDA

View Full Version : CMU is great for NON -TRADITIONAL STUDENTS!

heartbeat
07-05-2012, 12:23 PM
I wanted to actually thank the poster from another school that seems to find it in his benefit to "degrade" me by continuing to make false comments and referring to me as "granny". It gives me a great opportunity to point out some more excellent things about CMU!

First, yep, I am a "granny". I have raised 8 children (including 2 adopted ones from Russia), I now have "almost" 13 beautiful grandbabies! And I am PROUD of it. So you just keep calling me granny (sonny! LOL). I took 35 years out of my life to raise these wonderful children, putting aside my own desires and career in medicine. Just like possibly your OWN MOTHER did for YOU! Your comments are truly a slap in the face for any mother and grandmother.

The greatest thing I ever did or will do is be a mother. But now, yes, at my age (over 50) I am now going back to finish my dream. I have received almost 100% support for all those around me. Sadly, there have been a few, such as the disgruntled posters from another school that are intimidated or angered that someone my age has the guts to try and attempt this path, much less succeed in this difficult path. I hope for your sake, young man, that you show FAR more respect to your own mother! You sir, will find that when you finally get done with this path, that the majority of the people you will be reporting to- will be those of my generation. :) :) And keep in mind, paths can cross again sometime :) Burning bridges is not the wisest decision.

But for all of you out there that are like me (men and women) that are on the other end of life that still want to make a difference in someone's life, to help them in whatever way possible, that IT IS POSSIBLE!
It truly was NOT possible until I found CMU. CMU welcomed me with open arms. They respected my many year's of work and experience. They helped me in EVERY possible way. They NEVER, NOT once looked down on me or made me feel that I was to old. The faculty welcomed me with open arms. There were there, and STILL ARE beside me 100% of the way. Other places I looked at blew me off, didn't give me the time of day! They thought it was a joke- medicine at my age?

So if you are "on the other side" of life- whether you have spent it raising beautiful children, or just simply want to make a change in your career - you CAN do it at CMU. They WILL welcome you with OPEN ARMS. It is a safe island, good places to live (at my age, I was NOT interested in living on a remote island and in an unsafe dump!), the school is modern, and the cost VERY, VERY reason. Almost half of what I found anywhere else!

I seldom, EVER, give recommendations because in most all cases I have lived to regret it. But in this case, I can honestly, give ONLY my 100% highest recommendation to CMU, its owners, its staff, and its faculty. I have worked very closely with them, I have spent many hours with them and I can tell you THEY DO CARE!! I have finished my basic sciences and am starting my rotations and will have my MD before I know it! And it is because of CMU (and a lot of hard work of course! LOL)

So if medicine is your passion, do not let your age, or those FEW (thank goodness) younger people that seem to have issues, detour you from your path. You are welcome to PM me. I will be very happy to help you with questions, suggestions, frank information you will need, etc that WILL make this path possible! And those of you that are on "this side of life", you know I will tell it like it is. I would LOVE to see others, just like me make it! Trust me, YOU CAN!!!:p

crazyutty
07-09-2012, 09:37 AM
I wanted to actually thank the poster from another school that seems to find it in his benefit to "degrade" me by continuing to make false comments and referring to me as "granny". It gives me a great opportunity to point out some more excellent things about CMU!

First, yep, I am a "granny". I have raised 8 children (including 2 adopted ones from Russia), I now have "almost" 13 beautiful grandbabies! And I am PROUD of it. So you just keep calling me granny (sonny! LOL). I took 35 years out of my life to raise these wonderful children, putting aside my own desires and career in medicine. Just like possibly your OWN MOTHER did for YOU! Your comments are truly a slap in the face for any mother and grandmother.

The greatest thing I ever did or will do is be a mother. But now, yes, at my age (over 50) I am now going back to finish my dream. I have received almost 100% support for all those around me. Sadly, there have been a few, such as the disgruntled posters from another school that are intimidated or angered that someone my age has the guts to try and attempt this path, much less succeed in this difficult path. I hope for your sake, young man, that you show FAR more respect to your own mother! You sir, will find that when you finally get done with this path, that the majority of the people you will be reporting to- will be those of my generation. :) :) And keep in mind, paths can cross again sometime :) Burning bridges is not the wisest decision.

But for all of you out there that are like me (men and women) that are on the other end of life that still want to make a difference in someone's life, to help them in whatever way possible, that IT IS POSSIBLE!
It truly was NOT possible until I found CMU. CMU welcomed me with open arms. They respected my many year's of work and experience. They helped me in EVERY possible way. They NEVER, NOT once looked down on me or made me feel that I was to old. The faculty welcomed me with open arms. There were there, and STILL ARE beside me 100% of the way. Other places I looked at blew me off, didn't give me the time of day! They thought it was a joke- medicine at my age?

So if you are "on the other side" of life- whether you have spent it raising beautiful children, or just simply want to make a change in your career - you CAN do it at CMU. They WILL welcome you with OPEN ARMS. It is a safe island, good places to live (at my age, I was NOT interested in living on a remote island and in an unsafe dump!), the school is modern, and the cost VERY, VERY reason. Almost half of what I found anywhere else!

I seldom, EVER, give recommendations because in most all cases I have lived to regret it. But in this case, I can honestly, give ONLY my 100% highest recommendation to CMU, its owners, its staff, and its faculty. I have worked very closely with them, I have spent many hours with them and I can tell you THEY DO CARE!! I have finished my basic sciences and am starting my rotations and will have my MD before I know it! And it is because of CMU (and a lot of hard work of course! LOL)

So if medicine is your passion, do not let your age, or those FEW (thank goodness) younger people that seem to have issues, detour you from your path. You are welcome to PM me. I will be very happy to help you with questions, suggestions, frank information you will need, etc that WILL make this path possible! And those of you that are on "this side of life", you know I will tell it like it is. I would LOVE to see others, just like me make it! Trust me, YOU CAN!!!:p

Hi heartbeat,

I would love to hear more about your experiences at CMU. I have also put my passion for medicine on hold for over a decade and am raising a family. While I'm not in a position currently to drop everything and attend medical school full time, I hope to be in a few years. Any tips you could give me? Thanks and I quite enjoyed reading your post!

Vinky Singa
08-30-2012, 12:36 AM

As I read through this post, the one person that introduced me to CMU, always took the time to chat with, provide motivation and direction, and is truly a wonderful business woman who led SGA in a results oriented passionate manner, wrote so many nice long meaningful emails to the student body with announcements, and many other positive attributes, that person's voice rings in my mind-I can just imagine the voice and definitely missed but am glad ur doing well!!!

scrltubaldo
11-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Thank you for such an encouraging message. I hope to follow your footsteps.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.