PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding first semester financial AID

EricLandau
07-01-2012, 10:10 PM
I've done a search. I've called SABA 3 times and left 2 voice mails.

I heard a rumor that first trimester students have to pay out of their pockets?

Also is the financial aid situation that bad for US citizens, I can only attend based on financial aid funding me through it.

Thanks,
Eric Landau

EricLandau
07-02-2012, 04:16 PM
I broke down and just asked the admissions lady. She said that funding is available for first semester students, and SABA has submitted it's package for federal loans. She also claimed SABA has gone above and beyond the requirements to receive this kind of aid. No time table could be given, just "should be soon".

seattle
07-03-2012, 11:19 AM
She said that funding is available for first semester students, and SABA has submitted it's package for federal loans. She also claimed SABA has gone above and beyond the requirements to receive this kind of aid. No time table could be given, just "should be soon".

Just to put this into perspective....I was told the same thing from SABA admin years...(YEARS) ago. In other words, do not hold your breath on that. Federal funding will be available IF and WHEN it ever does happen.

EricLandau
07-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Okay Thanks for the info. I wasn't going to hold my breath. I can probably get into AUC and Ross too. I was just thinking saba had maybe the most ideal situation for a family with school age child.

seattle
07-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Okay Thanks for the info. I wasn't going to hold my breath. I can probably get into AUC and Ross too. I was just thinking saba had maybe the most ideal situation for a family with school age child.

Based on an earlier post above I gather you will need financial assistance. I can tell you from personal experience that the EdInvest loan option that Saba offers(offered) is a very bad way to go. What you need to be careful about are the specifics of the loan repayment plan. Unless things have changed over the years, it is a VARIABLE interest loan, which can reach an astronomically ridiculous maximum of 25%. It is adjusted to the monthly LIBOR (London exchange rate) fluctuations. Meaning you have no idea during payback period what can happen month to month. So, although Saba seems to be the cheapest option of most Caribbean programs, what you need to be aware of is that when the VARIABLE interest option is factored in, you may in most cases end up paying tens-of-thousands in payback for the life of the loan.

If financial assitance is important to you (and it is in most people's cases), then focus first on those schools, which offer you US backed federal loans, (AUC, SGU, and Ross). The next thing then is to do a thorough investigation of these schools and which is a good fit for you academically. These are very, very tough programs with dropout rates that are noticeable...you haven't said anything about your science GPA and MCAT scores going into this path.

EricLandau
07-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Thank you again for your very informative reply.

Yes financial aid is the only way I can attend. I didn't mention my stats at first because this wasn't a thread about that. But since you did, they are:

3.0 cGPA
3.1 SGPA
24 MCAT

Biology degree. Notable upper level classes: genetics, cell biology, microbiology, A and P 1+2. (Also physics 1+2 ..mentioned here as I see they're not required at saba but are at others)

Medical lab tech degree. Unsure if applied sciences count for anything but I know almost every test doctors order. Normals ranges ( excluding demographics) and generally what tests are ordered for. ( notable clinically related classes: clinical chemical, clinical micro, immunology, serology, hematology 1+2, urinalysis, and immunohematology.)

Took MCAT without studying. Studying now and retaking in August.

LOR- one from SABA alumni who I am friends with and shadowed many times. One from a professor I had for 10 credits.

I understand that I would probably get merped at SGU and maybe Ross. Which I am really okay with as success is more important than a small amount of time. (Although I'm reading its not a small amount of money.)

I guess its really dependent on what my new MCAT score turns out to be.

seattle
07-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Yes financial aid is the only way I can attend. I didn't mention my stats at first because this wasn't a thread about that. But since you did, they are:

3.0 cGPA
3.1 SGPA
24 MCAT

Biology degree. Notable upper level classes: genetics, cell biology, microbiology, A and P 1+2. (Also physics 1+2 ..mentioned here as I see they're not required at saba but are at others).........I guess its really dependent on what my new MCAT score turns out to be.

Given the science GPA and a 24 MCAT without studying, you should be fine academically at the schools you are considering. SGU tends to go for about 3.3+ and 27 MCAT as an ideal, but then again that is an "ideal average" meaning candidates fall on either side of the mean and can still get in if within a standard deviation about the mean, which I think you should be within range.

Read the post I wrote a few days back on this forum titled "The Good, The Bad, The Ugly", which was started by someone recently and I responded with what I think it takes to get thru these Caribbean schools. It is written specifically for Saba applicants, but it applies to SGU and Ross as well.

EricLandau
07-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Thank you Seattle you've been a great help. I will go read the whole post.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.