PDA

View Full Version : Places to live

rpatel12
06-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Hey guys,

im new to Avalon starting in the Fall, does anyone know a good real estate company to contact for housing? i tried calling a few but they seem to be ridiculously overpriced...anyone got any tips they can throw my way? appreciate the help

Silent_Orchestra
06-27-2012, 12:06 PM
I believe Avalon has on-campus living, and it is mandatory to stay on campus for the first semester. If there isn't anything available on campus, your best bet would be to contact the administration for help in finding housing off campus. I'm sure there are a lot of students that are finishing on the island and there can a possibility you would be able to get their place. If you call the U.S admin office i'm sure they will help you out.

rpatel12
06-27-2012, 10:22 PM
funny, they never mentioned it. I did make some calls and i found some lady that has some apartments in the city for real cheap. Im gonna call admin and find out about the housing. whatever happens, i'll keep posted in case anyone else has same concerns

MD2Be2014
07-10-2012, 08:14 PM
i would suggest you live on campus for the first semester. If you do live off campus, you'll need a car and someone to guide u around the city. Anyway, curcao is an amazing place to live. no lie. As for off campus housing, it's really hard to find good places in a good neighborhood with a good price.
On campus housing was $750/month (excluding utilities) back in sept 2011, when i lived in it. I think it's $800 now. Off campus is much less, if you'd like i could get u some numbers to contact or at least try too.

fey
10-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Please do you know anything about double occupancy houses for the first semester on campus? The single occupancy studios are a bit pricey...

brucewayne
10-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Please do you know anything about double occupancy houses for the first semester on campus? The single occupancy studios are a bit pricey...

The double occupancy is about $550 per person on campus I believe. Also, there is a apartment complex called Alablanca where many of the students live. It is off campus, but there is a caravan that will take you to and from school every day, and buses are available. From my understanding, the rent is much cheaper over there, but it is further away from campus, versus Ritz which is literally in front of the door to the school.

Ritz is expensive. I live here now, and enjoy the convenience. I would recommend it for at least one semester in order for you to learn the island, and then you can decide from there what to do. The utilities in a single occupancy seem to range from $70 to about $120. In the double occupancy I have heard it can go up to about $180, which is still just $90 per person.

The other thing to keep in mind is the convenience of how close it is to town. You can actually walk into town in less than 10 minutes. There is a free shuttle to and from the local supermarket, which is just as modern as the one at home, and you meet a lot of students living here.

Now on the other hand, everything in this apartment is 220v. Where as the majority of the island runs on 110v. This is incredibly irritating, and makes me want to move just for this sheer fact.

Shoot me a line with additional questions!

fey
10-19-2012, 01:53 AM
How are the facilities? As in the class rooms, labs and the apartment? Does stuff break down a lot and does everything work? How extensive is the library and what is the quality of their wireless internet connection? How are the school's buildings? They didn't put any pics on their website. Any chance you might show me some? Do you know anything about scholarships at Avalon?

Thanks.

brucewayne
10-20-2012, 12:02 AM
How are the facilities? As in the class rooms, labs and the apartment? Does stuff break down a lot and does everything work? How extensive is the library and what is the quality of their wireless internet connection? How are the school's buildings? They didn't put any pics on their website. Any chance you might show me some? Do you know anything about scholarships at Avalon?

Thanks.

The facilities are nice and clean, but you must be realistic and realize that you are on an island, so its not going to look the same as somewhere like the U.S. or Canada. Everything is always functional, there are white boards and projectors in all the rooms. There is a separate building structure for gross anatomy.

The internet connection at the ritz is very fast. I use mine to facetime back home, and download movies all the time. The school's internet is often spotty based on where you are in the school. The ritz internet signal is strong enough to cross over into the school, so you can get their internet.

The school building is sizable. Separate classrooms for all md and premed classes. A "library", and a lab room or two. Though the facility is a rented location, so the school is sort of limited in that sense. There is a student lounge with a refrigerator, stove top, microwave, and even a ping pong table. The school stays open to 10pm most days to give students an opportunity to study. Student tutors make themselves available throughout the week.

There are no scholarships available. There is a company that they work with around student loans. I don't have a loan with them at the moment, so I couldn't really tell you about that aspect. The school is fairly small compared to traditional american style medical schools.

The big thing to keep in mind is that if your main concern is the studying, learning and doing well on the USMLE, you will be fine here. If you get too hung up on the look and feel of the Caribbean medical schools, you'll be disappointed by them all.

Hope this helps, start a new thread if u have any more questions pertaining to the school and not to housing and I will answer what I can. ;)

dawson134
11-21-2012, 01:17 PM
what is the program like? is it good for the price they give? What is the island like? How much is a flight to the island?

sourcherries
11-30-2012, 09:30 PM

brucewayne
11-30-2012, 11:30 PM
Hey guys,
I don't know if my P.M.'s go through, so i guess i'll post here as well.
I just found out that the ritz apartments are full...can anyone please send me links or names of agencies that students use to find off campus housing??
Or could someone let me know how to find off campus housing for 2 people that is decent but not overpriced?
The school suggested alablanca....but they didn't say anything about having to live on campus and the alablanca apartments seem to be pricey for what you get.
Any suggestions or tips would be really great! thanks

Okay, So I did get your PM, but I thought I would reply publicly in case it might help others. Please bear in mind that I have only been here a semester, and am still learning the island myself.

The Ritz is definitely full for January 2013, I can attest to that.

Alablanca is an apartment complex where many of the first semester students tend to live. I think it can be hugely beneficial to live where other students are at, mainly because it builds a sense of community and you find study partners and friends that way. In most cases, first semester students seem to all live either at The Ritz or at Alablanca. From my understanding, Alablanca is definitely a fine place to start. People that live there don't have any major complaints, and they have a pool in the complex. Some of the apartments there are quite big. There is a major supermarket really close by, and some fast food places nearby as well. There is also a driver there that will take you to and from school, which is really great. From the complaints stand point, I believe it can cost nearly the same as The Ritz, and the Internet can sometimes be shoddy there from my understanding, but I do not live at Alablanca, so I can't say for sure. With everything, I really don't think it is a terrible place to start. Plus you have the benefit of only having a four month lease, so there is time for you to explore a little bit and find another place the following semester. Believe me, time flies here.

I realize The Ritz is booked for January 2013, but I still wanted to give you my impression of it.

The Ritz is located on campus. It is independently owned and operated. Meaning that the school is not really involved with it even though it is on campus. That being said, the major benefit of The Ritz is convenience. I can literally see the door of the school from my room, and I can walk into Punda within five minutes. There is a movie theater within 3 minutes, along with several different restaurants. I can even get to a starbucks with a fifteen minute walk, so this place is really helpful for not really needing a car.The rooms are nice enough and maintenance is taken care of fairly regularly. The internet is quite decent. The major negatives of this place include the fact that most of the students come from North America which uses 110v electrical outlets, and for whatever reason The Ritz uses 220v, so everything needs either a power converter or an adapter. This gets really irritating. Also, there is a laundry facility on campus, but it costs $3.50 per load. The rooms only come with what I would call miniature mini fridges. I pay $750 before utilities. Quite frankly, people that are from the island are dumbfounded when you tell them that. $750 US is nearly $1335 NAF, which is the local currency. $1335 NAF per month could actually get you a pretty awesome place on the island.

Things to consider. Most students will eventually move out of either of these two apartment complexes. They are a good start for someone brand new to the island. If you decide to find a place on your own, keep in mind the additional costs associated. If you get a real estate agent, you have to verify the fees associated with their help. If you live far from campus, you will have to get a car, either rental or purchase. Also, keep in mind the length of the contracts for the apartments. There are plenty of places that offer 4 month leases, but some places have 1 year contracts, make sure to double check! Security should also be something that you remain aware of.

Apartments Now to get you started, here are a few links to real estate companies that work with students. One is in dutch, but the important part is their contact info. If you just email them with what you are looking for, they will be able to help. To give you an idea, the school is located in an area called Willemstaad. The specific area in Willemstaad is called Punda. If you email the real estate companies with what you need, make sure that they know that you need something close to Punda, or atleast not something that is on the other side of the island, haha. If you get a car, then it is not a big deal if it is not really near Punda, most places are only 15 minutes away by car.

Key things to ask about:
Contract length
Air conditioning (very important!)
High speed internet (this is your best bet for communication with home)
Utility costs
Distance from Punda (Only major if you don't have a car)
Security

Sorry guys and gals, I had to actually type out the dot com's and dot net's. I don't have the ability to post websites yet!

There is an apartment complex called Pietermaai Small Apartments that is a 5 minute walk from school, and is in a safe neighborhood.

Add a dot com to the end of this:

pietermaaiapartments

Otrabanda is an area that is walking distance from the school, and Salinja is an area easily within driving distance.

Also, many students live in an area called Spanish Water, or Santa Rosa, I would recommend this area simply because so many students live around there.

home-trust(add a dot net to the end)

Add a dot com to the end of all of these

curacaostudentenwoning

coldwellbankercur

realestate-curacao

studentenkamercuracao

curahousecare

Hope that helps!

sourcherries
12-03-2012, 10:12 AM

brucewayne
12-04-2012, 08:10 AM
wow thanks so much for all the info!! :)
that's really helpful!
out of curiosity, is it possible to get around by bicycle? In case i can't get a place thats really close to school, i wasnt sure if i want to get into buying a car...so i thought that a bicycle might be faster than walking. but no one seems to mention that...is the driving just crazy and no one dares to ride a bicycle? :D

If you live in Punda, it is walking distance to the school. I actually don't think you are allowed to ride bikes within Punda, mainly because car's are not allowed for the most part either, it's more of a walking promenade. At any rate, even if you could bike, I would not recommended, some of the drivers here are just straight up crazy!

I do see people riding bikes for leisure, but it's mainly people in full biking gear that look like their training for a marathon. lol

sourcherries
12-04-2012, 11:03 PM

sourcherries
12-04-2012, 11:04 PM

brucewayne
07-10-2013, 01:21 PM
For the Fall of 2013 semester, I will give any new incoming students a heads up. The Ritz is undergoing some major renovations and it is extremely irritating to live at this place right now. They aren't offering any discounts for the noise and dust, so if the school recommends The Ritz, ask them to recommend somewhere else. Haha. Although it may be right next to the school. It might be really frustrating to live here until they end the construction. Not only does the construction run through the week, they also do work on Saturdays.

sourcherries
07-17-2013, 07:28 PM

Omar_IL
10-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Still available?

eldiablo666
02-05-2015, 05:40 AM
yup good one

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.