PDA

View Full Version : SMU is functioning just fine!

MagzMD
06-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Anyone want to hear from students that are actually here ON the island? Well, listen up and hear what WE have to say about SMU...

We currently have about 50 students from Med 2-4...of course, we are awaiting our new Med 1 class. Honestly, compared to the previous school I went to, the "doctors" there couldn't even diagnose that our friend had shingles...well, guess that's what happens when you have PhDs trying to train future MDs; it just doesn't make sense...as is the case in most Caribbean med schools. Luckily, SMU has Physicians who HAVE taken the USMLE and scored well beyond many expectations. And before you all jump and claim some other nonsense, we as a class saw our professor's official USMLE score report.
A little bit of insight:
1. From Med 1-Med 4 ALL our professors are PHYSICIANS, NOT PhD's..even if they did study abroad, they have all taken their USMLE and know exactly how to train us in the classroom (we currently have 9 professors on campus readily available to ask ANYTHING at ANY time of day or night!) .
2. Exams are set up to mimic the USMLE, and let me tell you, if you can get through these examinations, UWorld prep looks like a joke! Our professors take their time in preparing exam questions that challenge us into thinking outside of the box
3. Small classroom size allow for ease in engaging in classroom discussions and approaching our professors. We aren't just another # here, and our professors know us individually which allows them to cater to each of our strengths and weaknesses.
4. 2 semester year, which allows for 20 weeks of classroom time...honestly, I cannot fathom the idea of 3 semesters a year...how in the world do these students have the chance to learn all this material in physio, path, micro, pharm in such little time? Do they even have an opportunity to digest it all? Guess this is where Kaplan and the rest of the prep courses come into play, huh!
5. 6 weeks off in between semesters! This gives us the opportunity to breathe for the first week of our break, then an ample amount of time to review of the previous semester's course load...we even have some time to spare for our family, friends, ourselves, and most importantly to refresh for the new semester.
6. Open door policy with our professors...what other place will allow you to just walk up to your professor without an appointment and ask for further explanations or clarifications? Not to mention, before every exam block our professors email us personally to ask if we need any extra help, and after every block exam, our professors email us asking if we had any difficulties or doubts about our exams.

Yes, if I was a numbskull and didn't have anything to compare this to, then you can say I may be a bit gullible and I'm just going with it, but I have gone to another med school prior to this...and honestly, just as I felt at home at my undergraduate University, I feel at home here. Our faculty really do work day and night to ensure we are at our best...and even during their lecture time, they take time out to ensure we are understanding the material. Not to mention, 2 of our current classmates were University Professors, and believe me, if they thought something was wrong with the way courses are taught, they would have said something a long time ago...instead they are here, very content with how they are being trained and are very excited to take Step 1.

As with anything new, there are always rough patches, but believe me, the kinks have been sorted out and we have come a long way from the opening semester.

No matter where you go, whether it's NYU, CalTech, Rutgers, Princeton or even small Universities in the states, people will ALWAYS bicker and find something to fuss about...honestly, starting over at SMU was the best decision I made...I said it when I started 3 semesters ago, and I am saying it again now that I am almost done. Please, do your research, contact current or former students and ask their insight before you believe anything that these haters sit here and waste their time with. Best wishes to you all!

bosek
06-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Mark my words. Two years from now this medical college will be in a different league.

MagzMD
06-15-2012, 01:16 PM
It will..I mean, look how far we have come in only 3 semesters that this school has been open! We as students just ignore the nonsense from the rest of these people who are constantly bringing our school down, and we keep pushing hard to attain our goals...and honestly, without our faculty, we wouldn't be as knowledgeable as we are today!

saw176
06-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Well put MagzMD, great post

theMDgoat
06-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Way to go MagzMD!

"The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr" The Prophet Muhamad.

bosek
06-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Sometime I wonder how can SMUFOM keep faculty like Dr G.S and Dr. P. S in the island.

theMDgoat
06-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Way to go MagzMD!

"The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr" The Prophet Muhamad.

after 3 semesters I say: this is a fairly accurate narration of how SMU is functioning fine....

bosek
06-20-2012, 01:13 AM
after 3 semesters I say: this is a fairly accurate narration of how SMU is functioning fine....

I am emotionally invested in this school. School just need to move forward.

DogChairTreePurple
07-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Anyone want to hear from students that are actually here ON the island? Well, listen up and hear what WE have to say about SMU...

We currently have about 50 students from Med 2-4...of course, we are awaiting our new Med 1 class. Honestly, compared to the previous school I went to, the "doctors" there couldn't even diagnose that our friend had shingles...well, guess that's what happens when you have PhDs trying to train future MDs; it just doesn't make sense...as is the case in most Caribbean med schools. Luckily, SMU has Physicians who HAVE taken the USMLE and scored well beyond many expectations. And before you all jump and claim some other nonsense, we as a class saw our professor's official USMLE score report.
A little bit of insight:
1. From Med 1-Med 4 ALL our professors are PHYSICIANS, NOT PhD's..even if they did study abroad, they have all taken their USMLE and know exactly how to train us in the classroom (we currently have 9 professors on campus readily available to ask ANYTHING at ANY time of day or night!) .
2. Exams are set up to mimic the USMLE, and let me tell you, if you can get through these examinations, UWorld prep looks like a joke! Our professors take their time in preparing exam questions that challenge us into thinking outside of the box
3. Small classroom size allow for ease in engaging in classroom discussions and approaching our professors. We aren't just another # here, and our professors know us individually which allows them to cater to each of our strengths and weaknesses.
4. 2 semester year, which allows for 20 weeks of classroom time...honestly, I cannot fathom the idea of 3 semesters a year...how in the world do these students have the chance to learn all this material in physio, path, micro, pharm in such little time? Do they even have an opportunity to digest it all? Guess this is where Kaplan and the rest of the prep courses come into play, huh!
5. 6 weeks off in between semesters! This gives us the opportunity to breathe for the first week of our break, then an ample amount of time to review of the previous semester's course load...we even have some time to spare for our family, friends, ourselves, and most importantly to refresh for the new semester.
6. Open door policy with our professors...what other place will allow you to just walk up to your professor without an appointment and ask for further explanations or clarifications? Not to mention, before every exam block our professors email us personally to ask if we need any extra help, and after every block exam, our professors email us asking if we had any difficulties or doubts about our exams.

Yes, if I was a numbskull and didn't have anything to compare this to, then you can say I may be a bit gullible and I'm just going with it, but I have gone to another med school prior to this...and honestly, just as I felt at home at my undergraduate University, I feel at home here. Our faculty really do work day and night to ensure we are at our best...and even during their lecture time, they take time out to ensure we are understanding the material. Not to mention, 2 of our current classmates were University Professors, and believe me, if they thought something was wrong with the way courses are taught, they would have said something a long time ago...instead they are here, very content with how they are being trained and are very excited to take Step 1.

As with anything new, there are always rough patches, but believe me, the kinks have been sorted out and we have come a long way from the opening semester.

No matter where you go, whether it's NYU, CalTech, Rutgers, Princeton or even small Universities in the states, people will ALWAYS bicker and find something to fuss about...honestly, starting over at SMU was the best decision I made...I said it when I started 3 semesters ago, and I am saying it again now that I am almost done. Please, do your research, contact current or former students and ask their insight before you believe anything that these haters sit here and waste their time with. Best wishes to you all!

lol what the hell???? your professor showed you his USMLE report???????/ Wow does this school have no dignity? I dont know but if a professor had to show physical evidence of his credentials to his students then that should be a HUGE RED FLAG. I mean wow

bosek
07-24-2012, 11:44 AM
lol what the hell???? I mean wow

Are you at Capriles clinic as patient? Can you please PM me.

DrClass2015
07-25-2012, 01:28 AM
I am a transferred student this semester (July 2012) and my experience has been excellent! If you have questions about the school call them, they are very helpful. Some of the things people post in this site about the school are inaccurate, so do your research. Study hard!
Happy with my decision :D

justinephleps
07-25-2012, 03:07 AM
Thanks for providing real info about SMU

bosek
07-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Problem is diploma mills do not want the school to succeed. If there was an issue why would?

This be the only school in the island with clinical rotations where students from other schools are not allowed.
Universities like Hasselt be doing joint research projects.
Research institutes come to the Martinus Univeristy complex for joint research projects.
Students from other school would transfer for clinicals.
School would run 2 semesters instead of 3 semesters.

guilder2012
07-27-2012, 09:45 PM
2 semester system
Research
Top notch professors

I am game.

DogChairTreePurple
07-28-2012, 05:19 PM
2 semester system + so called "research" + few professors + a history of school closures + students who lost thousands of dollars attending this school before it closed = TOO HUGE OF A RISK

sunnydoc
10-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Hello All,

It’s been awhile since I have posted on the forum... But Now I Am Back....
I want to share my experience so far (6 months) with SMUFOM in Curacao. To re-cap everybody I was a transfer student to SMU from another university in the Caribbean. The other institution I attended sold dreams they did not produce doctors. I was lucky enough to have my eyes open early and transferred to SMUFOM to continue my goal of becoming a Doctor.

Let me start out by saying I am not a young 21-25 y/o without life experience writing on a forum because I have nothing better to do, I honestly believe in SMUFOM and that’s why I take my precious time to make my experiences known. I would like to say welcome to all the new students that have joined us this semester its great seeing new smiling faces on campus, (these students are sharp)... The campus is looking very good, new paint, a few new classrooms, we are hoping for a game room and a gym. Crossing my fingers that SGA can get this pulled off for us.

Over the past 6 months I have sat back and watched "internet trolls" attack our students, faculty and administration. I will say that for the most part we the "student body" has chosen to take the high road and ignore allot of the slanderous post. I am going to share with you the real deal about SMUFOM. Lets start with the administration, I have had the honor of meeting every owner involved with SMUFOM, and I can honestly say they care. I can pick up the phone at anytime and voice a concern it is addressed. They care about each of us, as students. I am a new father and the support I receive from the administration is unreal when I need it. 1st example, I had to leave the island very quickly for a family issue, the school has allowed to me make up my missed time, the cooler thing is the instructors come in on there off time for me, 1 student, to insure I stay on track and complete my goal of becoming a Doctor. They are an extension of my family :), as they are to every other student on this campus.

The new students we have on campus are from India for the most part, I see the whole administration taking on a parental role for the new younger students to insure they do not get off track and integrate into medical school. The rumors that surrounded that the owner’s son and fiancé cheated, are laughable. Lets start with the fiancé at anytime at least 12-14 hours a day this girl studies and she knows her basic sciences. (Or as I would say it to my military buddies, she knows her shhh). The owner’s son anytime he is not in class he is in he library studying, or mentoring the MD1's. So from my eyes I am seeing a very standup operation from the administration, and from me to them if they read these forums, Thank You.

The instructors at SMUFOM are all very professional; I have had the pleasure of taking classes with most of them now. If I have not had a class I have met and at least had a conversation with them. I can say with 100% honesty they care, I have yet to experience a professor who lectured then left. What I experience is the professor is always last to leave the room as he or she is waiting for any offline questions to be addressed. The material that is taught is taught in great detail. The professors hold you accountable for the knowledge, they do not at anytime tell you the basics and tell you to read it and you never hear about it again, instead they go over every detail and expect that you be at the level of instruction. If you are not then you should seek help and look at your study habits. IMO SMUFOM faculty is 150% on the ball with insuring that we as students don’t look like morons when we get back to the US and prepare for STEP and start clinical. From me to all the professors at SMUFOM "Thank You" you truly go the extra mile.

The students of SMUFOM come from all back rounds; some have medical experience some have lab experience some have nothing but a H.S diploma and they are working through pre-med. One thing that I can say about the student body at SMUFOM, they are all here to become doctors, the few that are not studious or have more important things going on, are the ones that don’t make it and start posting slanderous comments or pointing the finger at the school because they could not buy there MD degree at SMUFOM. Side Note: (Sorry ADHD Moment) This administration has ethics, do not come to campus thinking you can pay tuition and move forward. You can fail, they give you every opportunity to pass but if you don’t meet the bar they will fail you. You will retake the class and be put on academic probation.

The students do not compete with each, I can say that at any time if I am not getting a concept and one of my peers is getting it they share there knowledge and try to bring me up to be speed. If you are to proud to ask from help from a peer again the professors are there and give you time anytime you request it. Like every thing else people do hang in cliques on campus but there is no closed clique at anytime I can walk up to a group and be welcomed into the conversation, I find that most of classmates are eager to learn about me and my experiences as I am to learn about them and there’s.

In closing, SMUFOM is a great school; it is not a greedy Caribbean medical school just trying to build numbers to line the owner’s pocket. I am very sure the owners/investors are still funding this school out of pocket. What I see is a family run business with a dedicated staff, faculty and student body.

A statement for the “internet trolls” that will post above me to hide a positive message. I will not respond to your post, this is not a conversation post. This is me letting other people know my opinion on SMUFOM. This post is not up for debate or to answer questions about rumors. This post is not to bring up the old owners and the business dealings they had. This post is not meant to give you the “internet troll” AKA competing medical school or failed out student a place to tarnish the hardworking staff at SMUFOM reputation. This post is for anyone who cares about my opinion to read.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.