PDA

View Full Version : i score 231

Areen333
06-13-2012, 09:50 AM
hi,I just got my step 2 Ck score 231
I just wondr is that score can get me into surgery ?
Thanks

coralis
06-16-2012, 12:00 PM
If you are an IMG, and something tells me you are, then probably not. Your Step 1 score matters quite a lot too, some even argue that it matters more. So what was your step 1 score?

Areen333
06-18-2012, 04:29 AM
If you are an IMG, and something tells me you are, then probably not. Your Step 1 score matters quite a lot too, some even argue that it matters more. So what was your step 1 score?

Good Day
Yes I'm IMG , I would like to add that for step 2 CK exam according to first time examnination of the american and canadian examninee the mean is appoximately 233 and the standard deviation is 22 so my score is around the mean , i still did not do step 1 which will be my next step , i did a long observation in vascualr surgery inside USA along with research in the same feild and externship and 3 LORs plus i was volunteer in one of NYC hospitals i hope all that will count a littile bit
What is the score i should bring in step 1 to make greater chance for surgery ?
Thank you very much for your reply

coralis
06-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Good Day
Yes I'm IMG , I would like to add that for step 2 CK exam according to first time examnination of the american and canadian examninee the mean is appoximately 233 and the standard deviation is 22 so my score is around the mean , i still did not do step 1 which will be my next step , i did a long observation in vascualr surgery inside USA along with research in the same feild and externship and 3 LORs plus i was volunteer in one of NYC hospitals i hope all that will count a littile bit
What is the score i should bring in step 1 to make greater chance for surgery ?
Thank you very much for your reply

Unfortunately you cannot compare the exam mean of US and Canadian examinees to the score of an IMG. As the US/Canadian trained have priority. Even as an independent application you care around the mean, however you must keep in mind that US citizens that are foreign trained and did 2 years of clinical rotations in the US are also encompassed in that mean. From personal experience and knowledge of former colleagues matching as IMGs into surgery. Step 1 has to be 250 or above (especially now that most students have means of 230), with a similar score in Step 2 CK.
http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes11.jpg
http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2012.pdf check out this document particularly table 14. 62% of indepedent applicants that applied for surgery remained unmatched.

I am an IMG too but w/ status and yet still will have less chances of getting my preferred specialty even with an above the mean score. not trying to burst your bubble but you must be realistic. Also keep in mind that there are categorical spots and preliminary spots (PGY1 ONLY). My advice is not to quit your dream but to apply EVERYWHERE.... without thinking about how much it would cost. Apply to ALL the programs and of course have a back up to fall on. family med? research? preliminary surgery with applying again the next year? Your choice
Good luck

Areen333
06-24-2012, 12:02 PM
OK, The picture is more clear now, I will try to bring a score in step 1 hopfully even more than 160, Also I think i will apply as preliminary spot first, Nothing is impossible for sure
Thank you very much

Areen333
06-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Sorry I meant 260 :D

coralis
06-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Sorry I meant 260 :D
you're most welcome.. good luck with studying and applying.

bazzy
10-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Good job congrats

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.