PDA

View Full Version : Sexual Haresment

bobm
05-27-2012, 01:50 AM
How come prof who has sexually haressed female students in the past is still around?

seattle
05-27-2012, 10:40 AM
How come prof who has sexually haressed female students in the past is still around?

This is a very serious allegation and not one that I would say is out of possibility for any offshore program. However, do you know this for a fact or is this second hand knowledge? When I was on the island long ago, I did notice favoritism towards certain students (both male and female). So, it is possible.

Dr. W takes such allegations very seriously and I did see that she was very supportive of student rights concerning such incidences (although this was one student against another in said case). One faculty member speaking against another can be a touchy situation given the small size and underyling politics with these off shore programs.

So, if this in fact did occur, then the proper channel is to go thru the Devens, MA administrative office. Although one would be advised to go to the basic sciences Dean on the island as well, it is not inconceivable to me based on previous observation on the island that faculty can protect each other on remote island environments. So, again this individual should go to the Devens, MA office and lodge a complaint in writing and in detail outlining the events that occurred.

Have such complaints been lodged?

Evereadyclassic
05-29-2012, 06:51 PM
This is a very serious allegation and not one that I would say is out of possibility for any offshore program. However, do you know this for a fact or is this second hand knowledge? When I was on the island long ago, I did notice favoritism towards certain students (both male and female). So, it is possible.

Dr. W takes such allegations very seriously and I did see that she was very supportive of student rights concerning such incidences (although this was one student against another in said case). One faculty member speaking against another can be a touchy situation given the small size and underyling politics with these off shore programs.

So, if this in fact did occur, then the proper channel is to go thru the Devens, MA administrative office. Although one would be advised to go to the basic sciences Dean on the island as well, it is not inconceivable to me based on previous observation on the island that faculty can protect each other on remote island environments. So, again this individual should go to the Devens, MA office and lodge a complaint in writing and in detail outlining the events that occurred.

Have such complaints been lodged?

An extremely well reasoned and measured response.

Not really anything productive to add, but my comments are: As you say, a lot of faculty on the island have "ghosts"/"skeletons". On the other hand, it is an island, and a lot of stories are manufactured and propagated out of boredom.

TampaGirl
06-11-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm a first semester student at Saba, and I think I know the prof that is being referred to. As far as I know its just another rumor, and one that is the butt of many jokes. He mentioned one time during lab that his nose was itchy but that he couldn't have (insert girls name here) scratch it because he "didn't need another phone call from an angry Mom" but I think it was just a distasteful joke on his part. This prof has not truly done anything alarming during the semester, he can just seem a little creepy at times. I think people just need something/ someone to talk about.

br2000
06-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Hi - Did you guys go to SABA after doing pre-med in US or there is a program to do pre-med and med at SABA?

Thanks for your time...

sgMD
06-11-2012, 03:09 PM
Hi - Did you guys go to SABA after doing pre-med in US or there is a program to do pre-med and med at SABA?

Thanks for your time...

hi... I am off to buy some oranges, do you guys think which types should I buy? valencia? or florida? thanks in advance

drrichand1
06-11-2012, 04:53 PM
do you guys find the island to small, doesn't look like there are any good beaches from the satellite. How many students are there? would you say it's a modern facility? thanks

TampaGirl
06-12-2012, 01:04 PM
The island is small for sure, but it depends on where you come from if its "too small". If you are used to living in a city, then yeah, it will probably seem too small. There are only a handful of small grocery stores, one main road, a few restaurants, and I think eight hotels. But as a medical student, it doesn't really bother me because I don't have time for anything else besides studying in my dorm, studying at the library, and going to class. The lack of "distractions" can be seen as a good thing. There are no real beaches on Saba, only one small man-made beach near the airport and its nothing glamorous. I don't know how many students, but the classes are pretty small, nothing like the large lecture-hall classes of undergrad. The classrooms are all newly renovated and very modern with several large projector screens, touchscreen monitors that allow the profs to draw out diagrams on them, and outlets for your laptop at every seat. The only place its lacking is that the anatomy lab seems pretty old, but its not a big deal.

belkeno2k3
09-25-2012, 09:38 AM
for every class (eg May 2012, Sept 2012, etc), do all the students receive the same lecture at all times or are they divided into different classes? Let's say if all the students in the Sept 2012 semester are 100 in number, do they all sit for the same anatomy class, as well as other classes; or do a given number (say 50) take anatomy in a given classroom (A), while the remaining 50 take anatomy in a different classroom B?

Also, what's the class time-table like? Is it Mon-Fri? From what time to what time in the day? Are there breaks in between classes? Any classes in the weekend or evening?

TampaGirl
09-25-2012, 06:10 PM
All of the students have lecture at the same time, but for anatomy there is not enough space in the anatomy lab for the whole class at once so they split the class into 2 groups. One group has an early lab time and the other group has a later lab time. The times are switched every week, so one week you go early and the next week you go late. Classes start at 8am Monday through Friday, you have a lunch break from 12:15-1 and then you either go straight to lab until 3 or you go home and come back for lab at 3:15 until 5:15. Usually the profs will give you a 10 minute break halfway through class, and then you also have a 15 minute break between classes. So for example histology would be from 8am to 10am with a break at 9 and a break at 10 before anatomy starts at 10:15.

There are no classes on the weekends or in the evening. But plenty of studying!

belkeno2k3
09-26-2012, 03:32 PM
All of the students have lecture at the same time, but for anatomy there is not enough space in the anatomy lab for the whole class at once so they split the class into 2 groups. One group has an early lab time and the other group has a later lab time. The times are switched every week, so one week you go early and the next week you go late. Classes start at 8am Monday through Friday, you have a lunch break from 12:15-1 and then you either go straight to lab until 3 or you go home and come back for lab at 3:15 until 5:15. Usually the profs will give you a 10 minute break halfway through class, and then you also have a 15 minute break between classes. So for example histology would be from 8am to 10am with a break at 9 and a break at 10 before anatomy starts at 10:15.

There are no classes on the weekends or in the evening. But plenty of studying!

thanks a lot... quite informative. The schedule wasn't as bad as I imagined. Seems like there's lab Mon-Fri, right?

Pinetrees
09-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Anybody know what happened to Dr. L, (Gross Anatomy professor) for 1st semester? He is not listed anymore as faculty on the SABA website.

Acton
03-16-2013, 09:52 AM
strange what to do

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.